Votes: 6 6.1%
  • $3.5

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s definitely better than those 4 guys too, I don’t think the other team hesitates if we offer Frederic for one of those 4

He’s also not a smurf
Yeah don't get me wrong I personally take him over those guys, but I could see am argument for them being on par or slightly better. Hard to compare D and F as well.

Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Not first round worthy? Frederic is indisputably better than at least 18 players drafted in the first round his draft year. There is only one player taken in the second round (DeBrincat) that is even arguably a better player than Frederic, and there are probably teams out there that would take Frederic between the two.

Fans have a misconception about first round draft picks. Most of them are complete busts.

Jordan Kyrou, Alex DeBrincat, Filip Hronek, Carter Hart, and Samuel Girard were available when Frederic was taken. All of whom could've done well or filled a need better than what Frederic did. Kyrou is a 70 point scoring center that the Bruins still need right now and would've made the transition away from Bergeron and Krejci easier. DeBrincat could've added wing depth. Hronek and Girard are better defensemen than what the Bruins have. I know people want to laugh at Hronek because he played for the Wings and was a good player on a shit team, but sometimes a change of scenery can bring the best out of a player as it did with Zacha moving to the Bruins. And that's exactly what happened when Hronek went to Vancouver and had a monster year this season. Also, people may laugh at Carter Hart being included with these guys, but he was a touted goalie prospect and did do well early on until Philly destroyed his confidence by giving him no support. Imagine how much better he could've been had Essensa was able to work with him. It certainly would've made moving on from Tuukka Rask easier.

So no. There is no misconception here. The Bruins botched it by taking Frederic so high and have been lucky to get some return on investment with that pick.

He’s definitely better than those 4 guys too, I don’t think the other team hesitates if we offer Frederic for one of those 4

He’s also not a smurf

T-Fred also didn't hit his scoring stride until recently. To spend a first on a future grinder, which thankfully Frederic isn't anymore, is nothing short of a waste of a pick when there were five prospects that were arguably better than him given where they were selected. T-Fred has gotten much better. Don't get it twisted he's certainly proved me wrong that last year wasn't a flash in the pan. That still doesn't mean you take him over someone like Kyrou, DeBrincat, Hronek, or Girard.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
As an addendum, I'd also argue that guys like Dillon Dube, Ross Colton, Adam Fox, Jesper Bratt, Adam Fox, Filip Gustavsson, and Brandon Hagel also throw a wrench in the argument that Frederic wasn't a reach. These guys have contributed at close to the same level or much higher than Frederic while being picked way later in the draft. Which tells me that either the scouting network at TD Garden isn't as robust as some other teams who found these players late in the draft and got value or that Don and Cam are terrible at drafting no matter what evaluations their scouts give them.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
DeBrincat is a very good scorer, but "IS" a defensive liability. Trent is a better 2 way player that is offensively frustrating. Sometimes he looks like he's ready, other times it's the same inconsistency that
seems to infect a lot of the B's(DeBrusk, Coyle, Zacha)
Who would you want on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead in the last minute?(not thinking about an empty net goal either, but being stuck in your own end)

Frederic has more goals than DeBrincat at 5 on 5 the last two seasons. DeBrincat is good on the PP as the focal point. But is he good enough on the PP as the focal point to lead a championship level PP? I think not. Classic point producer on a mediocre team.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Very easy to be a draft expert 8 years after the fact.

Banging on the Bruins for not picking Bratt (#162) or Hagel (#159) when they went after pick 100 is so lame.
Yeah at that point every team has passed on them multiple times, people need to understand that sometimes development isn’t linear. Guys can make big jumps after getting drafted. We’ve seen it with some of our own guys

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
As an addendum, I'd also argue that guys like Dillon Dube, Ross Colton, Adam Fox, Jesper Bratt, Adam Fox, Filip Gustavsson, and Brandon Hagel also throw a wrench in the argument that Frederic wasn't a reach. These guys have contributed at close to the same level or much higher than Frederic while being picked way later in the draft. Which tells me that either the scouting network at TD Garden isn't as robust as some other teams who found these players late in the draft and got value or that Don and Cam are terrible at drafting no matter what evaluations their scouts give them.

The question when folks make these lists is always about if these other teams who got lucky later in the draft just got lucky or if it’s something actually repeatable. Bruins have repeatedly shown they are one of the best teams at getting NHL players out of their picks with numbers to bear it out. And thank god because they trade so many of them away.

Reactions: CDJ

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

The fact that they went much later means the scouting network in the entire league is not as robust as it should be apparently.

Adam Fox should have been a top 10 pick Then again it may not have mattered as he ultimately forced his way to where he wanted to go (Rangers).

You are drafting 18 year olds paying in very different leagues against very different levels of opposing talent. Scouting is never perfect. there will always be guys in the top 5 who end up bombing, and their will always be a few guys drafted after the first round who end up breaking out in a big way.

Frederick has become exactly the player they wanted when they took him. Sure it took longer to get there than they might have liked, and yeah his face off percentage could still improve.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Here’s my problem with Fredric.

And I have to qualify this post by saying I like him, am not hell bent on trading him (but would in the right deal) and understand that it’s not 1989 any longer.

With that said, I honestly don’t remember him throwing a thunderous, overly aggressive, game changing hit this season.

He’s big enough, fast enough and allegedly aggressive enough to do it, but doesn’t.

IMO you need someone (a few actually) who make opponents uncomfortable.

He could be that guy, I’d love him to be that guy, but for some reason he just hasn’t been.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Here’s my problem with Fredric.

And I have to qualify this post by saying I like him, am not hell bent on trading him (but would in the right deal) and understand that it’s not 1989 any longer.

With that said, I honestly don’t remember him throwing a thunderous, overly aggressive, game changing hit this season.

He’s big enough, fast enough and allegedly aggressive enough to do it, but doesn’t.

IMO you need someone (a few actually) who make opponents uncomfortable.

He could be that guy, I’d love him to be that guy, but for some reason he just hasn’t been.
He could be a better version of Bennett but there is a clear disconnect somewhere for him.

Reactions: sarge88

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I'll say this about Frederic:

If you could transplant Kuntar's heart into Freddy and have them in the NHL together, opposing defences better watch out, they will cry, and they will pout I'm telling you why, punishment is coming to town.
I liked this pick from the start and think he could put up more points if he had line mates who could finish some of his great passes.

Reactions: Fenian24

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Perhaps my memory is exaggerated, but I'm pretty sure Fred did throw huge hits when he first came onto the scene.

The issue was that he was incredibly prone to braindead penalties. It's as if he cannot maintain mental control when he hits a certain level of aggressiveness.

More than any other player of his ilk, he has tons of moments during a given game of indecision and confusion. It's a strange thing to observe. Less thinking and more pushing the pedal down would do him well, but he seems to get in his own way at times when he lacks confidence.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Perhaps my memory is exaggerated, but I'm pretty sure Fred did throw huge hits when he first came onto the scene.

The issue was that he was incredibly prone to braindead penalties. It's as if he cannot maintain mental control when he hits a certain level of aggressiveness.

More than any other player of his ilk, he has tons of moments during a given game of indecision and confusion. It's a strange thing to observe. Less thinking and more pushing the pedal down would do him well, but he seems to get in his own way at times when he lacks confidence.
Some players are afraid to make mistakes, not for lack hustle or desire, I like Freddy, but I get the importance of Xs and Os,but sometimes and some players need to be let loose and play with instinct and just go out and play, some coaches want these players to play like Robots, they will never admit that though.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He for sure threw bigger hits when he first came here. I wish he could find some middle ground between then and now.

Honestly though I think the organization tells these guys to tone it down. It seems to happen with every “tough guy” that has come into town recently. They are a shell of their former selfs.

I don’t think that’s a Frederic being soft now type of thing. I think that’s a Neely/Sweeney instruction to avoid taking penalties at all costs.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
So we want to put a player'a heart thats never played in the NHL into a player that has been getting better each season thats actually playing in the NHL why?

Stupid shit really

So now Freddy is heartless lol

What's next plant another guys brain into Bradon Carlo and we may have something special ?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He for sure threw bigger hits when he first came here. I wish he could find some middle ground between then and now.

Honestly though I think the organization tells these guys to tone it down. It seems to happen with every “tough guy” that has come into town recently. They are a shell of their former selfs.

I don’t think that’s a Frederic being soft now type of thing. I think that’s a Neely/Sweeney instruction to avoid taking penalties at all costs.
Threw bigger hits because he needed to when trying to make the team. These guys all calm down over a 82 plus schedule.

Especially when concussions start to enter into the picture, these guys want to make millions over their careers not end up retiring three years into it.

These is ZERO chance Neely/Sweeney are telling players to stop being aggressive to avoid penalties.

We take a shit ton anyway, give me those over the dumbass TMM calls we take.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
So we want to put a player'a heart thats never played in the NHL into a player that has been getting better each season thats actually playing in the NHL why?

Stupid shit really

So now Freddy is heartless lol

What's next plant another guys brain into Bradon Carlo and we may have something special ?
The FrankenB’s

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Threw bigger hits because he needed to when trying to make the team. These guys all calm down over a 82 plus schedule.

Especially when concussions start to enter into the picture, these guys want to make millions over their careers not end up retiring three years into it.

These is ZERO chance Neely/Sweeney are telling players to stop being aggressive to avoid penalties.

We take a shit ton anyway, give me those over the dumbass TMM calls we take.

Then why has every tough guy come here and been a shell of their former play styles? Can you name one player who came here and was tougher or even on par as their previous stops?

Maroon, Frederic, Hathaway, etc all neutered with this team. Hathaway might be the most glaring because he picked his physicality right back up after leaving.

Hell short sample size with Peeke but same case with him.

This team has become a reactionary team to physical confrontations. It happened under Cassidy and now under montgomery.

Bruins react they don’t initiate. They’ve been getting pummeled by teams that are willing to be physical. There’s something in the water here lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad