Votes: 6 6.1%
  • $3.5

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The amount of guys with 35+ points and 200+ hits last season has gotta be pretty small, no? And at 2.3 mil I'm not sure what else you could expect from him. Finally stepped it up and got 5 points these playoffs too including a few big goals.

EDIT: If what I'm drawing from statmuse is correct only these guys fit the criteria this year:

Frederic
Jt Miller
Tom Wilson
Tolvanen
B. Tkachuk
Seider
E. Kane

Even if you change the criteria to 30 points only Joshua and Pionk are added. Frederic the least toi/g of the entire list.
If he were on another team everyone here would be pining for him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There were far more disappointing forwards in the playoffs overall for the bruins this year in the playoffs but he did completely disappear in the florida again.

Just wish he could have continued his play from Toronto series against florida. Especially answering the bell for pasta and marchand. But I guess that’s why he’s paid roughly $2m

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
A lot of this discourse on Freddy is people wanting him to be something he's not. What he is is an excellent even strength play driver with top tier even strength results. Plus he's a plus PKer.

Here is a partial list of forwards who had fewer 5v5 points than Trent Frederic last year (he was T73 among all forwards, tied with Claude Giroux), and I didn't include players who didn't play enough games like Eichel:

John Tavares
Adrian Kempe
William Karlsson
Roope Hintz
Joel Eriksson-Ek
Ryan O'Reilly
Anze Kopitar
Steven Stamkos
Sean Monahan
Martin Necas
Jamie Benn
Chris Kreider
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Alex Ovechkin
Anders Lee
Brad Marchand

I could go on...but I still don't think people get what we have in him.

I do wonder if his IQ could play higher up in the lineup with better players or if he is a forever productive 3rd liner.

Reactions: Over the volcano

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don't think Trent Frederic is the guy we expect him to be. Especially in the playoffs.

We can argue all day about his regular season play, which is fine, but he goes into a shell in the playoffs. Look at the two series against Florida. 1 assist in 11 games, -4.

It’s true.

He’s a guy you really want to believe is a “difference maker” during the playoffs but he’s never shown another gear.

It’s not as bad as Gryz getting hit ass kicked every April, but seeing Frederic become a playoff bystander is to be expected at this point.

He’s a big guy with some skill and the ability to throw big hits and fight if needed. I wish he could be more confident in his game.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Florida is just his kryptonite. He was excellent in the Toronto series. 5 points +5 in 13 games. Pretty good for a third line guy at the end of the day. He throws his body around. Will fight occasionally. He is alright. I like him over all.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Florida is just his kryptonite. He was excellent in the Toronto series. 5 points +5 in 13 games. Pretty good for a third line guy at the end of the day. He throws his body around. Will fight occasionally. He is alright. I like him over all.
If you believe corsi and all that - he was one of their best forwards against FLA

Reactions: Kegs

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The issue here is you're complaining that they reach on guys like Freddy then giving examples of guys like Hagel and Bratt picked in round 6 saying they were available instead....those would have been massive reaches in round 1, it's 100% hindsight on your part.

You're just going to ignore players like Kyrou, DeBrincat, Girard, and the others I mentioned or...what?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Seems like every fan base in the league loves him but this one

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

We'd love him if he were on another team ... "why can't we get players like that?!?"

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024

Yeah my friends on other teams all want him.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

This is why we can’t have nice things :p

Reactions: CDJ and 4ORRBRUIN

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I actually think he’d play well next to Zacha and Pasta, in a role like Wilson played for Ovechkin. We’d need to add someone else with talent to slot on the 2nd and 3rd lines though.

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
I actually think he’d play well next to Zacha and Pasta, in a role like Wilson played for Ovechkin. We’d need to add someone else with talent to slot on the 2nd and 3rd lines though.
That's a lot of baggage for Pasta to carry. Pasta/Zacha line needs a higher skilled player. Bert complimented those 2 nicely, for a short period of time.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
That's a lot of baggage for Pasta to carry. Pasta/Zacha line needs a higher skilled player. Bert complimented those 2 nicely, for a short period of time.

I’m not sure the difference between Freddy and Bertuzzi is that great anymore, it was only about 5 points this year. But I think that the style was what worked. Maybe putting Frederic there gets him another 5-10 points a season, and provides some small level of protection on Pasta’s line. I wouldn’t put him on the power play, but for 5v5, it might work.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why not put him on the PP again?

That fat slob Maroon saw PP tine in the playoffs and hes the slowest non goalie that played in the NHL this year. But don't give your young power forward a shot even if he outproduces a few all star forwards at ES.

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
I’m not sure the difference between Freddy and Bertuzzi is that great anymore, it was only about 5 points this year. But I think that the style was what worked. Maybe putting Frederic there gets him another 5-10 points a season, and provides some small level of protection on Pasta’s line. I wouldn’t put him on the power play, but for 5v5, it might work.
On the 1st line Frederic needs someone to help make him a better player (a playmaker). If there was a better center ( prime Krejci) there I'd be for giving it a try. A first line of Pasta, Zacha & Freddy is not strong enough to give Pasta the room he needs. They need a stronger addition then Freddy. I'm not sure Bert is the answer. But he created good chemistry with that line last year. Comparing the 2 based only on point production is silly.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Thought he was really good against Toronto.

Still have a sour taste regarding him and maroon in the florida series. They were completely reactionary. Florida was taking the fight to us and initiating and a few shifts later frederic or maroon would come around asking to fight guys.

Then maroon said it was because they were afraid to take penalties. Idk why we have become a reactionary team in that aspect instead of initiating physicality and what not but it’s sad to see.

It’s not only them it’s every “tough guy” to come through here and it’s disappointing. Certainly seems like an organizations thing.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Thought he was really good against Toronto.

Still have a sour taste regarding him and maroon in the florida series. They were completely reactionary. Florida was taking the fight to us and initiating and a few shifts later frederic or maroon would come around asking to fight guys.

Then maroon said it was because they were afraid to take penalties. Idk why we have become a reactionary team in that aspect instead of initiating physicality and what not but it’s sad to see.

It’s not only them it’s every “tough guy” to come through here and it’s disappointing. Certainly seems like an organizations thing.
Frederic has shown pretty consistently that he does not want to be that guy. Believe him before it's too late.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Stats show progression. Even though I personally think he could play tougher and be more of an asshole on the ice when it's needed. . .

1000007440.jpg

Reactions: BBruins

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Regarding his playing ability, I think he is a more than adequate bottom 6 player, regardless of what he does with his fists or with just stirring things up in general.

I think there was always the hope/idea of Frederic as a physical force especially in playoff settings that would go along with some moderate point production. We’ve seen one half of that equation, but not the other. It’s reality at this point. The extra gear really just isn’t there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad