Player Discussion Trent Frederic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Freddy is awarded (approximately)?

• $1.5

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • $2

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • $2.5

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • $3

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • $3.5

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Regarding his playing ability, I think he is a more than adequate bottom 6 player, regardless of what he does with his fists or with just stirring things up in general.

I think there was always the hope/idea of Frederic as a physical force especially in playoff settings that would go along with some moderate point production. We’ve seen one half of that equation, but not the other. It’s reality at this point. The extra gear really just isn’t there.
This is what folks have been saying about him every year - and each year he improves his production and impact.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Frederic has shown pretty consistently that he does not want to be that guy. Believe him before it's too late.
This is where I'm at right now. He will show an edge every now and then, but not nearly as often as he did earlier in his career (he also wasn't nearly the player is now)

I think it just makes fans wish he would add it both together on a consistent basis.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Bottom 6 player close to being a 20-goal scorer, 40 point guy. Not a liability in his own end. Still room to improve. Keeper even if he isn’t the second coming of Shaun Thornton. 😁

Reactions: BBruins

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
He's not fast enough to play wing on the Bruins' system. He is better suited at center. He would be a pretty good Coyle replacement if the Bruins decide to keep him.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’ve been a big Freddy defender and overall like his game, but the first panthers goal in game 6 soured me on him. The one handed fly by was just inexcusable from anyone. Such a soft and stupid play.

Reactions: Kegs

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’ve been a big Freddy defender and overall like his game, but the first panthers goal in game 6 soured me on him. The one handed fly by was just inexcusable from anyone. Such a soft and stupid play.
Seriously that's what soured you on him - that he cleared Tkachuk out and left the puck to Wortherspoon who turned it over?

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Seriously that's what soured you on him - that he cleared Tkachuk out and left the puck to Wortherspoon who turned it over?

He didn’t clear out Tkachuk that looked like a fly by on a bouncing puck. Freddy reached in with one hand on his stick and gliding past the puck to give Tkahuck who was already out of the play a little push. I don’t think he was intentionally leaving the puck for Wotherspoon. It just looks to me like a lazy soft play.

Freddy ideally keeps his feet moving both hands on the stick and drives through the play . If the puck is stopped then stop with it and clear it out. You don’t leave the puck in the slot like that.

Reactions: False Start

False Start

May 8, 2018
He didn’t clear out Tkachuk that looked like a fly by on a bouncing puck. Freddy reached in with one hand on his stick and gliding past the puck to give Tkahuck who was already out of the play a little push. I don’t think he was intentionally leaving the puck for Wotherspoon. It just looks to me like a lazy soft play.

Freddy ideally keeps his feet moving both hands on the stick and drives through the play . If the puck is stopped then stop with it and clear it out. You don’t leave the puck in the slot like that.
I also noticed that play in particular. I don't think it's 100% on Freddy since Wotherspoon and him both had a few whacks at it and it just slipped away from Freddy's stick.

Then Wotherspoon just gave it right to them on a just as lazy attempt to control the puck.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is what folks have been saying about him every year - and each year he improves his production and impact.

Again, the point production is there. And as you said, has improved every year.

It’s the “power forward” aspect of his game that I think people had high hopes for (including myself) which really hasn’t come to be. That certainly may have been the fault of giddy fans like myself that thought we were getting a Lucic-lite rather than him failing to achieve his potential in any way.

Just to reiterate. The skill and production makes him a very effective long term third line forward, second line if you really need him there. But he’s not a guy you want to have in the top 6 or a guy you can count on to produce when the game tightens up. Just my two cents.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Again, the point production is there. And as you said, has improved every year.

It’s the “power forward” aspect of his game that I think people had high hopes for (including myself) which really hasn’t come to be. That certainly may have been the fault of giddy fans like myself that thought we were getting a Lucic-lite rather than him failing to achieve his potential in any way.

Just to reiterate. The skill and production makes him a very effective long term third line forward, second line if you really need him there. But he’s not a guy you want to have in the top 6 or a guy you can count on to produce when the game tightens up. Just my two cents.
I hear you, and do think most folks either expect too much (Tom Wilson + PP production) him or too little (he's just another bottom 6er)

This year he lead his club in hits, had 7 fighting majors and 40 pts at even strength. Maybe there are dozens of "power forwards" out there doing the same, but I don't think so.

To me his potential looks like Charlie Coyle if his gloves weren't sewn on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad