Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
4ZLD.gif

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
What would we have gotten if we traded TK before this season.
Probably a late 1st, a "B+" prospect/2nd rd pick and another asset.
That's pretty much the going rate for a 1st line but not elite forward.
ROR for example got a 1st, 2nd and Thompson, who at the time was considered B+.

We already have (3) 1sts and (3) 2nds in next year's draft.

Extending TK really means they've written off free agency (and look at this year's crop, almost all 30 or older - teams are extending their own players more often with a rising cap).
No it does not in any way. What you get by trading him is flexibility and not an anchor contract in 4/5 years.

You love the Flyers amateur and pro scouts so those assets you mentioned would be good, no? surely they can find a diamond in the rough or an under valued asset don't you think? Or you then use those assets to I dont know maybe acquire an NHL caliber player? Many options and the Flyers willingly picked the worst one.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What would we have gotten if we traded TK before this season.
Probably a late 1st, a "B+" prospect/2nd rd pick and another asset.
That's pretty much the going rate for a 1st line but not elite forward.
ROR for example got a 1st, 2nd and Thompson, who at the time was considered B+.

We already have (3) 1sts and (3) 2nds in next year's draft.

Extending TK really means they've written off free agency (and look at this year's crop, almost all 30 or older - teams are extending their own players more often with a rising cap).
Those assets can be used for other things than just simply making a selection and flexible cap space could prove vital to that path. I know that you know that. There's more than one path forward. Everything matters, just like it always has.

But hey, i'm sure the Flyers know what they're doing.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Those assets can be used for other things than just simply making a selection and flexible cap space could prove vital to that path. I know that you know that. There's more than one path forward. Everything matters, just like it always has.

But hey, i'm sure the Flyers know what they're doing.

Are you forgetting about the "No more than 3 1st round draft picks in any given year" rule?

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Not a good deal for the Flyers
Not a bad deal either. Sure, could've traded him, but we knew that was unlikely, so I'm solely focusing on the numbers here. He's not in the franchise player tier, but he's the best player on the team, so you have to pay him as such.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
What a rebuild that was huh boys? Ehat a dumpster fire organization this is. I love tk, but he would have helped us much more with the package we could have gotten for him, 8.75 was where I thought they'd settle at tbh, but uh this isn't good, we better hope that michkov can turn into Crosby or this is going to get ugly fast l, and we will be talking about this moment in another decade after it's been 20+ years of misery

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Not a bad deal either. Sure, could've traded him, but we knew that was unlikely, so I'm solely focusing on the numbers here. He's not in the franchise player tier, but he's the best player on the team, so you have to pay him as such.
And? The team isn't good and won't be for years, if at all, under Briere. The contract without any context is fair . . . but we have a context here.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Then you trade him.

You don't HAVE to pay him some random extra money because "he's the best player." Doing so is how a player like Konecny stays your best player.
What random extra money? The cap has been rising. That's what players like him are worth these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad