Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
IMG_8599.jpeg

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
It’s fair-ish, but how do you look at the contract Sam Reinhart just signed and come to the conclusion “Konecny deserves more!”?!?

Last 2 season Reinhart has 0.98 ppg and Konecny 0.95 ppg, they are not that far off, especially when you consider the quality of teammates, its actually not even close.

Reinhart is underpaid and Konecny maybe slightly overpaid, buts that what you get when you have 2 teams going in a different direction.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I've banged the drum for TK to get paid. Honestly believed the Flyers would pay him more.

I don't hate it. They were never tearing this dilapidated building down to the bones, so I'm fine with putting money into something of actual value.

I can only hope that a different and more competent management group will be running this team when this contract potentially becomes a problem.

I'm happy he's sticking around. :surrender
As someone who suffered watching the majority of the games the last few seasons with you, I completely understand. I'm happy that one of the few guys that I actually like to watch is staying on the team for a bit.

I've basically accepted that this team needs some sort of miracle to be a legit contender.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Here is my take (that you've all been waiting for):

The majority of the fanbase are not the astute looking-through-the-microscope folks the people on these and other specialized boards tend to be. While Michkov is the arriving savior, a lot of fans are hitched emotionally to Konecny, and that keeps asses in seats, which is the overall aim with The Cup not being a short-term realistic goal. Like it or not, with Couturier being on the injury carousel, Konecny has been the "face of the franchise" in recent years,

I am not thrilled with this contract. I have more issues with the length of it than the yearly average, but the cap continues to rise and the NPV in those later years will not have the same impact it does in the first half of the contract (unless it is an escalated contract).

Overall, I think we all saw this as inevitable with some discomfort. The only real variable was the level of discomfort.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Cap is going up $4-5M a year now that the escrow is paid off.
2025, $93M cap is 9.4% ($7.9M last season) the first year of his new deal.
So by 2028, $106M cap would be 8.25%.

A bit of an overpay, but looking at 5x5, he's 47th in 5x5 pp/60 over the last three seasons, so he has a strong track record - and he did that without a 1C (and you can argue without even a 2C).

This suggests to me they're not interested in the FA route and would rather build from within - extend the players they know at 26-28 rather than overpay for a FA they don't know at 29-30.
Do read/hear what "jonesy" says. Soon as they have money it will be spent. Stevie Wonder can see that. Cap going up is a lame excuse. Doesn't excuse wasting that increase.

They aint building nothing but below average team. They stink with TK and would stink without him and much more flexibility. Along with whatever assets they would acquire.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim,… Even Calgary is admitting they need to actually rebuild.

The Flyers are just the Flyers. It’s hard but somehow have to force myself to admit it’s all they will ever be - stupidly arrogant.

There isn’t any anger, quite honestly it’s just sad that they are allowed to run this thing into the ground year after year.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Cap hit is fine, but committing to another 8-year deal for a 2nd-tier player isn’t.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Last 2 season Reinhart has 0.98 ppg and Konecny 0.95 ppg, they are not that far off, especially when you consider the quality of teammates, its actually not even close.

Reinhart is underpaid and Konecny maybe slightly overpaid, buts that what you get when you have 2 teams going in a different direction.

Reinhart is a phenomenal defensive forward that also shows incredibly well in micro tracking. Konecny took an offensive jump at a strong cost at the other end. Points would not be how I choose between those two.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This suggests to me they're not interested in the FA route and would rather build from within - extend the players they know at 26-28 rather than overpay for a FA they don't know at 29-30.

The primary issue with this strategy is that they don't have enough within to build with. It's like they're trying to create a castle out of ice cream in the Kalahari Desert. You don't win without stars, and the only player we have who has the capacity to be the level of star we need at least 3 of is Michkov.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It’s telling and is a terrible prognostication. They are just trying to sell tickets. It’s not Clarke, Briere, etc, it’s Comcast. This the kind of deal a team like Dallas maybe hands out. They will have to get lucky to draft 2 more star players the next two drafts

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Good deal for both sides. That's probably around what he's worth. I think I remember saying a few months ago that his contract should be around 8.5 - 9 million, so this is pretty much ideal.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
There is nothing happening here unless Comcast sells. You can bet your virgin asses on that.

This ownership group doesn’t have the balls to challenge the Flyer family. Even as guys like Clarke, and Barber fade into the sunset - we see it already the new bloodline being given the torch.

It’s all malignant, and that’s what Torts was right about most of all.

Being a former Flyer.. ohhh it damn hell sure is a disease.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
lol it's all so predictable. "A New era" of doing exactly the same shit as the old era expecting different results. The road to being first round fodder has never been brighter.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It’s telling and is a terrible prognostication. They are just trying to sell tickets. It’s not Clarke, Briere, etc, it’s Comcast. This the kind of deal a team like Dallas maybe hands out. They will have to get lucky to draft 2 more star players the next two drafts
Everyone is trying to sell tickets. It isnt about that in the Flyers case at all. They just flat out refuse to start from scratch and build it up. In their warped Gold Standard mind they need to be what they think is competitive every year.

Comcast is hand off. Flyers have a high budget and all the resources they need. They let the hockey ops people run the show. They run it very poorly. Sadly, Comcast hired those people.

Reactions: Tarpongg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What would we have gotten if we traded TK before this season.
Probably a late 1st, a "B+" prospect/2nd rd pick and another asset.
That's pretty much the going rate for a 1st line but not elite forward.
ROR for example got a 1st, 2nd and Thompson, who at the time was considered B+.

We already have (3) 1sts and (3) 2nds in next year's draft.

Extending TK really means they've written off free agency (and look at this year's crop, almost all 30 or older - teams are extending their own players more often with a rising cap).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad