Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK (28) 8/$8.4 in 2024 cap - (pp/60) (2.27)

FA signings:
Guentzel (30) 7/$9.0 (2.29)
Reinhart (29) 8/$8.63 (2.16) [discount plus no income tax]
Stamkos (34) 4/$8.0 (2.37)
Marchessault (33) 5/$5.5 (2.07)
Lindholm (30) 7/$7.75 (2.01)
Toffoli (32) 4/$6.0 (1.90)
Stephenson (30) 7/$6.25 (2.09)
Monahan (30) 5/$5.5 (1.47)
DeBrusk (28) 7/$5.5 (1.90)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Not a bad deal either. Sure, could've traded him, but we knew that was unlikely, so I'm solely focusing on the numbers here. He's not in the franchise player tier, but he's the best player on the team, so you have to pay him as such.
We disagree. What short and long term benefit is there for the Flyers seeing where they ar at currently.

Tallest midget syndrome.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Konecny is a very good player. On a contending team he’d probably be like their third best player. The issue is the Flyers are nowhere near that caliber of team at this point & god knows when/if they ever get there. Konecny’s going to be 28-29 the first year of this contract. He’s pretty much gotta go now in terms of maxing out his on ice value of the deal & the team isn’t really anywhere close reciprocating that in that window.

You make these type of deals knowing that you’re probably writing off a fair bit of the back half of the contract. As it’s probably unlikely the player is near the caliber of player by then.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Luckily TK's albatross contract is going to hamstring the Flyers during Michkov's prime years. Brilliant. Not sure how many more times the Flyers have to prove they're the most myopic franchise is pro sports before people actually realize it
I used to get upset about this but have since realized they’re too incompetent to make a contending team during Michkovs prime. Problem solved!

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
"but he's the best player on the team, so you have to pay him as such."
It's logical, isn't it? The best player should also be the highest paid one. He's also been fortunate with timing. Two years ago he never would've got that deal.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
We disagree. What short and long term benefit is there for the Flyers seeing where they ar at currently.

Tallest midget syndrome.
They're obviously hoping for a quick turnaround. It's not like TK is on his last legs and the clock is ticking.
Might turn out to be a pointless deal for the Flyers, but at least they're showing ambition.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's logical, isn't it? The best player should also be the highest paid one. He's also been fortunate with timing. Two years ago he never would've got that deal.
I'm coming at it from a different angle than what you originally met.

I am operating under the thought process that the Flyers themselves thought they have to extend him simply because he's their best player. That is a flawed process.

With your clarification here, it looks like we were talking about two different things. I will concede that your best player should be paid the most at it's most basic level.

Reactions: Rebels57 and TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm coming at it from a different angle than what you originally met.

I am operating under the thought process that the Flyers themselves thought they have to extend him simply because he's their best player. That is a flawed process.

With your clarification here, it looks like we were talking about two different things. I will concede that your best player should be paid the most at it's most basic level.
I agree. That shouldn't be the logic of any organization going into negotiations. Was just my personal logic.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Michkov better be everything that this organization hopes that he is because they're screwed if he isn't and from everything I can tell... he's not.

Their actions tell me that they think he's going to be best player in the NHL level. Let's be honest...even if he is i'm not sure it's going to be nearly enough with how they construct these rosters.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed, me thinks.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
“When you’re not spending $12 million on a player, or even two like Edmonton does…Colorado has three or four high-end guys. We’re not going to be built that way.”

-Briere

Surely not a full NMC?!?!?!

They overpaid slightly cap wise so I thought maybe would be a limited NTC the whole way. If that is a full NMC that is getting into "hilarious overpayment" territory.

I’ve made this point before that the Flyers were religiously anti-NTC before Fletcher. It was Giroux previously, and that’s it. Even Voracek signed a max deal with no NTC. Ever since Fletcher arrived (and we know Briere+Flahr is a direct continuation), they giddily hand out NTCs like candy. Even to 4th liners. I remember when Minnesota got bit in the ass in the expansion draft because of this. They simply don’t care and have a NTC fetish.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They're obviously hoping for a quick turnaround. It's not like TK is on his last legs and the clock is ticking.
Might turn out to be a pointless deal for the Flyers, but at least they're showing ambition.
Hope. You don't run an organization seeing where the Flyers are at on hope. They are so far away from contending it is pathetic.

Showing ambition? Nah pure incompetence.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
There's no defending this. They just proved they have no plan.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad