Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
i truly hope he doesnt get booed tomorrow.....will really irk me

he won't get booed, he is going to get a standing ovation, unless he is going to have some legitimate deeply sympathetic reason for wanting to go home, he should get booed, however I am willing to bet he is not.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
:(. This is the exact opposite way I felt when we acquired Boychuk and Leddy. That being said, how I feel and how the Islanders feel arent paramount here, if Hamonic has a family issue that needs attending to, that is the number one priority. I hope that Travis and his family are alright, and are able to attend to whatever they may be dealing with.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
i truly hope he doesnt get booed tomorrow.....will really irk me

I would be shocked if any Islander fan would act that way (at least for what we know at this point). Guy has left it completely on the ice for this franchise during very lean years and the reason he asked for the trade is very noble. I guess you never know but that would be sickening if that happened.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I think the fan reaction will depend on what comes out tonight. I bet if he gives a lot of info he'll get a good reaction, if he keeps it to "personal" reasons, he might get booed.

BroadwayJay*

It's not the commute, it's the arena. Hamonic probably prefers to play in a smaller one.

He may be looking for an arena with worse player amenities and fewer luxury boxes.

Do any arenas have leaks in the dressing room? Might be a fit there.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
i know a few others and I are in the minority, but we cant see these embedded tweets while at work...can you guys pls make an effort to type in the premise of these tweets? many thanks!

Can't you just check Twitter on your phone?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I see this possibly going the other way.

What if we traded Hamonic and SOMETHING ELSE to get back something BETTER than Hamonic? You're not going to get equal value unless you trade Hamonic for prospects/picks. If you want a current NHLer then might as well send Hamonic+ somewhere else and get back a player that helps us not and going forward.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Please cite detailed examples in the entire history of the NHL where a good player was 100% healthy himself, asked to be traded to be around family, and the team just gave him away for nothing?

I'm incredibly compassionate, but this is a also business. The Isles invested a 2nd round pick and big money and term to Hamonic counting on him being here until 2020. Things happen as they evidently have, but now Travis can't just be released from his contract or traded for a ball of lint as a result. Snow can have a heart, but he also has a job to do.

If being with his family is that important and that important right away then Hamonic can retire today, give up getting paid, and be home with his family tonight. However as long as he wants a paycheck from the Islanders then they fully have a right to find a balance of honoring his request and also doing what's best for the team.

I guess I'm a human being first, and a New York Islanders fan second..

And when it's my turn to need somebody to understand, I hope nobody on this damn board is in charge of my fate.. :)

But you're right that Hamonic can retire or take a leave of absence if things are that serious.. But what if he needs the money? Or what if the prognosis is his family member still has a few years left so it's not about getting it done TODAY but getting it done very soon?

Maybe the actual trade request was "trade me to Winnipeg" but they're using the 4 teams as a cover..

Too many maybes for me to continue... but just speaking for myself, under these circumstances I won't be upset if we give Hamonic away..

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
:(. This is the exact opposite way I felt when we acquired Boychuk and Leddy. That being said, how I feel and how the Islanders feel arent paramount here, if Hamonic has a family issue that needs attending to, that is the number one priority. I hope that Travis and his family are alright, and are able to attend to whatever they may be dealing with.

Have to disagree as the Islanders do have a stake here.

I get what you are saying in that we are all human and compassion is a necessary component but the fact is the Islanders are first and foremost a business and Hamonic is a very valuable asset.

You never see a pro athlete sign a huge contract, then have a sub par season and return monies. Why? The players will say it's a business.

The cold, real world reality here is that, while Snow can have compassion and try to help in every way possible, the one thing he cannot do is compromise the Islanders future. And if that means Hamonic must deal with this situation long distance well that's just a by product of signing a contract that pays an exorbitant amount of money in an industry that requires employees to be away from home.

Otherwise as stated earlier he can simply retire and go home.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I guess I'm a human being first, and a New York Islanders fan second..

And when it's my turn to need somebody to understand, I hope nobody on this damn board is in charge of my fate.. :)

But you're right that Hamonic can retire or take a leave of absence if things are that serious.. But what if he needs the money? Or what if the prognosis is his family member still has a few years left so it's not about getting it done TODAY but getting it done very soon?

Maybe the actual trade request was "trade me to Winnipeg" but they're using the 4 teams as a cover..

Too many maybes for me to continue... but just speaking for myself, under these circumstances I won't be upset if we give Hamonic away..

Immediately after the press conference, JeffNyi will deliver the homily.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
If you want to look at things in a binary fashion, how is the organization better off by letting that happen?

Oh the organization is screwed either way. That's my point.

Unless Snow said "we are not willing to help" or Hamonic would not work with Snow on a solution that keeps him an Islander while working through this situation, it's the Islanders that are getting screwed here (from a business standpoint)

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Have to disagree as the Islanders do have a stake here.

I get what you are saying in that we are all human and compassion is a necessary component but the fact is the Islanders are first and foremost a business and Hamonic is a very valuable asset.

You never see a pro athlete sign a huge contract, then have a sub par season and return monies. Why? The players will say it's a business.

The cold, real world reality here is that, while Snow can have compassion and try to help in every way possible, the one thing he cannot do is compromise the Islanders future. And if that means Hamonic must deal with this situation long distance well that's just a by product of signing a contract that pays an exorbitant amount of money in an industry that requires employees to be away from home.

Otherwise as stated earlier he can simply retire and go home.

I guess I should clarify, I was talking more grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Hi Isles fans, Jets fan here.

We know the situation you guys are in, very similar to the Evander Kane situation last year. I cannot stress how vital it is that Hamonic doesn't have an NTC/NMC. Yes he wants to move to western Canada, but if Snow doesn't like the pieces he's offered he can just move him somewhere else that will. The most important thing is patience for the GM and the fan base. That being said, if a trade were to happen with Winnipeg here's how I think it would go down:

(click on player to see their general fanager page)

Toby Enstrom - 31 LHD - We're not likely going to move him. We have no LHD depth. He has an NTC anyways. I'm not sure if a lefty is enticing for you guys.

Dustin Byfuglien - 30 RHD - Pending UFA, probably looking for 7x7 or so in the summer. We're willing to move him, but I don't think he's the type of player (age or contract status) that you guys want.

Jacob Trouba
- 21 RHD - The opposite of Buff, coming off an ELC and is young with boatloads of potential. He's having a bit of an off year, but he doesn't get PP time due to us running four forwards this season. Snow is probably asking for him, but Chevy is likely declining. Right now Hamonic is the better player. But we aren't in a hurry, we're still building.

Tyler Myers - 25 RHD - Certainly more offensive flair than Hamonic, but worse defensively. He can move the puck and shoot. I think he needs to be paired with a strong LHD. Signed until 2019 with a declining salary contract. Fits age and need requirement, but simply isn't worth as much as Hamonic especially due to his contract.

I think the best we can offer is Myers. We can add something like a mid pick, or a decent prospect. Have lots of goalie prospects but from what I hear that doesn't interest Isles fans much. I know forward prospects aren't too enticing and we don't have much D youth to spare. I think we may be willing to retain salary too, but not too much. Maybe 10%-20%.

I know that's a bit of a punch in the gut. That's likely why it isn't going to happen. It's too bad I don't think it's possible to make all three parties happy.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Oh the organization is screwed either way. That's my point.

Unless Snow said "we are not willing to help" or Hamonic would not work with Snow on a solution that keeps him an Islander while working through this situation, it's the Islanders that are getting screwed here (from a business standpoint)

Can't argue with that at all.. we're not going to get equal value in hockey assets back..

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Ever go through customs at JFK? I believe the average wait time is 5 hours. Sometimes a lot longer. Vancouver's customs (for non-Canadians) is equally brutal.

TSA Pre Check handles everything and I am sure as professional athletes they have that part all covered. I am not saying they get special treatment but they do get all the necessary arrangements made available to breeze through these lines with the occasional random search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad