Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Not making emotional and rash decisions wrt young players' development when unexpected stuff happens is something I would like to thank Snow for.

Frankly, Zidlicky's signing and the youngsters in the AHL makes a whole lot more sense now that we know about Hamonic's request.

I don't know if I can buy it. Mayfield is in his third AHL season. Pulock is in his second. I would have at least given Pulock a full 8 or 9 game taste at the beginning of the season (whatever it is) to see if he can handle it.

I know we're in a cushy position with being able to wait it out with the kids but at a certain point you have to see if they can fly.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
I hope this press conference with Travis is to announce the team has granted him a leave of absence and to state he wishes to remain an Islander for the duration of his contract.

#dreaming

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
DON'T DO THAT!

OT But IMO Thor is their best pitcher. Upside has no limit.

Agreed. I'm a Yankee fan but I love what the mets have. Thor reminds me of Clemens. No BS and isn't afraid to brush you back. Throw back type of pitcher.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know if I can buy it. Mayfield is in his third AHL season. Pulock is in his second. I would have at least given Pulock a full 8 or 9 game taste at the beginning of the season (whatever it is) to see if he can handle it.

I know we're in a cushy position with being able to wait it out with the kids but at a certain point you have to see if they can fly.

Seeing if one of the kids can fly is better than seeing if both can fly at the same time on a team meant to make the playoffs.

So you make the decision to sign Zidlicky knowing that you want at least one vet when you have to lose Hamonic. This has the consequence that both kids play in the AHL. It's the lesser of two evils. Big deal.

Really, it all makes sense now. Everyone who has been screaming for Pulock should now be saying, "Ohhh.. Now I understand!" But they're not. I don't get it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thing is, here's my problem. And if this makes me an a-hole, so be it.

A family member is sick. Very sick. Why not relocate them to New York? They have wonderful hospitals in New York, physicians that Hamonic can afford with a pro athlete salary. Hamonic being a professional hockey player is the clear breadwinner in the family, so what's preventing him from bringing his family closer to New York where he plays?

I can't help but think of what I would do if I was a professional athlete in a similar scenario, and it would be to relocate my ill parent closer to the team I was signed with. Especially if I had the money to afford top medical care in New York City. I don't know all the circumstances, but why do they have to stay in Winnipeg? Is it an immigration concern? I just wish there was a solution for this problem.

CodeE-

Doesn't make you an a-hole, but you're being very short-sighted. My mom lived in Florida when she developed cancer and due to the type of cancer she had she couldn't fly. Also my aunt had Alzheimer's and in that case you usually want to keep the person in as familiar surroundings as possible.

And these are only two theories - There could be a billion other possibilities of why Travis wants to be closer to his family, and if a family member is very sick...A billion reasons why it's not reasonable or feasible to move that family member to NY.

On top of all that I do real estate in NYC and I work with people all over the world and aside from financially, it is emotionally taxing to move to a new city - Especially one as frenetic as NYC when you're from a TINY town in Western Canada.

Plus you're also forgetting that we're not just talking about one person, but the rest of his family. You're not just going to uproot one person to be in NY while his/her only family member (Travis) spends a third of the year away from New York. None of that makes any sense to do.

It's really so easy for any of us to say what we would do in another's position, but we never have the full idea of what it's like to be in that position.

So again CodeE...Just think you need to be a little bit more open-minded and understanding.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hope this press conference with Travis is to announce the team has granted him a leave of absence and to state he wishes to remain an Islander for the duration of his contract.

#dreaming

Would be the best outcome. What time is practice? They said he will address the media after practice.

Also, if he does play I hope our 78 fans at Barclays show enough class not to boo him. They may be overshadowed by the "Ole" chants from the bus loads of Habs fans.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Breaking News: this isn't about the Islanders, it's about Travis Hamonic.

More breaking news...It's about both of them. If it was ONLY about Hamonic then the Isles would have already traded him for a 7th round pick simply to honor his request.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't see why Garth would trade Hamonic until he gets what he wants. This isn't a situation with a disgruntled player on a bad contract or anything. Hamonic is a desirable commodity. I can't see the trade request hurting Hamonic's value at all. His contract is great, he is young, still room to improve etc.

If I am Garth Snow, I take my sweet time in finding the right deal. Let Hamonic know that his request will be honored but it may not be immediately. If Snow plays his cards right he can extract great return for a great young player.

That's a definitely a possible scenario but now that its out in the open, in can be a real distraction. If Hamo comes out and says "I respect the fact that a trade is difficult to achieve and I have no expectations" then fine, I guess it can linger. But if the situation becomes a bit more tense (mostly on account of external influences), it may be better to get it done sooner than later.

I'm sure he is popular with his teammates (we've heard nothing but good to great things about him) but when you know the guy next to you is trying to get out (even on account of legitimate reasons - whatever they are), it may cause some tension. If it has to happen in season, its probably better to be sooner rather than later.

We obviously know very little about the situation though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If someone in Hamonic's family is that badly ill that he needed to request a trade, then why on Earth is Hamonic still a New York Islander?

At this point you don't try to get equal value, you send the kid home..

Please cite detailed examples in the entire history of the NHL where a good player was 100% healthy himself, asked to be traded to be around family, and the team just gave him away for nothing?

I'm incredibly compassionate, but this is a also business. The Isles invested a 2nd round pick and big money and term to Hamonic counting on him being here until 2020. Things happen as they evidently have, but now Travis can't just be released from his contract or traded for a ball of lint as a result. Snow can have a heart, but he also has a job to do.

If being with his family is that important and that important right away then Hamonic can retire today, give up getting paid, and be home with his family tonight. However as long as he wants a paycheck from the Islanders then they fully have a right to find a balance of honoring his request and also doing what's best for the team.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
As someone who travels quite a bit to the U.S., no, going through customs is not a big deal at all.

Ever go through customs at JFK? I believe the average wait time is 5 hours. Sometimes a lot longer. Vancouver's customs (for non-Canadians) is equally brutal.

BroadwayJay*

Please cite detailed examples in the entire history of the NHL where a good player was 100% healthy himself, asked to be traded to be around family, and the team just gave him away for nothing?

I'm incredibly compassionate, but this is a also business. The Isles invested a 2nd round pick and big money and term to Hamonic counting on him being here until 2020. Things happen as they evidently have, but now Travis can't just be released from his contract or traded for a ball of lint as a result. Snow can have a heart, but he also has a job to do.

If being with his family is that important and that important right away then Hamonic can retire today, give up getting paid, and be home with his family tonight. However as long as he wants a paycheck from the Islanders then they fully have a right to find a balance of honoring his request and also doing what's best for the team.

Make that a paycheck to play hockey in the NHL and I think you've got it 100% correct.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm wondering if Snow cannot make a player for player deal (or a 3-way deal right now), maybe he should deal Hamonic for picks/prospects as probably that will get us the bigger return. I know that sets us back this year, but let's be honest - We're not ready to win the Cup this year anyway...And certainly not while capuano is our coach.

Get picks/prospects back no doubt will get the Isles the biggest value in return. I could easily see a 1st round pick and solid prospect coming back for Hamonic. In addition to good value, Snow could always then try to flip those assets later on.

Bottom line...I'd rather trade Hamonic for great picks/prospects than average NHLers.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I think this is going to drag out past December.

I don't see Snow just accepting any offer.

BroadwayJay*

One thing I've noticed is people talking about this "leverage" issue.

Eric Lindros said he would "never" play for Quebec and made it very clear they would have to trade him. Nevertheless, QC got the haul that led to the team completely turning around the franchise and bringing a cup to Colorado immediately.

MSL was ONLY willing to be traded to the Rangers and Tampa, nevertheless, fleeced the Rangers in the deal.

Travis Hamonic is a young player, at a dreadfully shallow position, on an outstanding contract. I just don't see how we wouldn't get value for a player like that.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm wondering if Snow cannot make a player for player deal (or a 3-way deal right now), maybe he should deal Hamonic for picks/prospects as probably that will get us the bigger return. I know that sets us back this year, but let's be honest - We're not ready to win the Cup this year anyway...And certainly not while capuano is our coach.

Get picks/prospects back no doubt will get the Isles the biggest value in return. I could easily see a 1st round pick and solid prospect coming back for Hamonic. In addition to good value, Snow could always then try to flip those assets later on.

Bottom line...I'd rather trade Hamonic for great picks/prospects than average NHLers.

Ugh. Please no. I understand what you're saying but that would be not only a HUGE step backward but a big risk as well.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

i would rather get a roster player, but you have a point....theoretically, we could trade him to a team that isnt that good a la vancouver, edmonton, etc for a 1st AND a 2nd rounder this year.....we could try and make a minor deal to get another solid d man or let pulock/mayfield step in (not optimal).....with those extra picks it will give us flexibility to make a huge splash at the trade deadline....if pulock/mayfield impress, we can go after that stud winger for JT, if they dont, then we try and make a splash earlier for another dman....

having said that, i would obv prefer to keep hammer or get another top 4 back.....but i do respect his wishes as he is really a great kid

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Honestly I'm preparing for Tyler Myers right now. It makes too much sense: Winnipeg gets a slight upgrade and hometown boy, making less cap money, could end up being a lifer. Isles get back a pretty decent defenseman. I'd be nagging them for Trouba but I don't think they'll bite.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Eric Lindros said he would "never" play for Quebec and made it very clear they would have to trade him. Nevertheless, QC got the haul that led to the team completely turning around the franchise and bringing a cup to Colorado immediately.

MSL was ONLY willing to be traded to the Rangers and Tampa, nevertheless, fleeced the Rangers in the deal.

Travis Hamonic is a young player, at a dreadfully shallow position, on an outstanding contract. I just don't see how we wouldn't get value for a player like that.

That MSL trade was inexplicable.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

An NHL player is used to being coddled. Probably the best player, and treated as such, wherever they played right up until they stepped on NHL ice.

They are also young and lack a certain maturity and experience. So this harsh, yet fair but true, reality is hard to understand.

The bottom line is that Hamonic, who still a young man, is facing another step in growing up. Life gives us all some very harsh blows and there are times when the blow is hard enough that all else seems irrelevant, but the truth is everything else in your life, including your commitments, are not irrelevant.

If Hamonic can find a way to work through whatever this is, while keeping his commitment to the Islanders, on the day he raises the cup, in that NY sweater, he will feel an immense amount of pride and accomplishment as will all those who helped him deal with this current situation.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I agree. Snow still has the leverage here. Hamonic is signed for 5 more years. Period. The only "risk" Snow has is having a potentially disgruntled player on his team. But there is no time specific deadline here like there was with Vanek. Snow will (and should) take his time to find the best deal. As you said, players like Hamonic are extremely rare and valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad