Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
It's wierd to me that all the oilers players are untouchable.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would trade any of Pulock Reinhart Mayfield Pelech and plus for Hamonic.

I know these prospect have a lot of upside but the fact that people are saying isles would have to add to Hamonic to get Nurse is insane. I would be disappointed if we trade Hammer straight up for Nurse.

At the end of the day these guys are still just young prospects. Hamonic is a young, proven Top4 NHL Defensman and top shutdown guy signed to an amazing deal.

Am I crazy?

They have fallen in love with all of their players. It seems like they want to trade Schultz and Fayne for Hamonic. I don't think that's enough. Not even close.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
the only way to get something resembling a fair deal on this is to take a half a step back and take an emerging prospect/young NHLer back. Jacob Trouba is the guy. I wanted him instead of Reinhart at the draft and I'd be happy to take him now. It might put us back half a step this year, but it's really the only thing that would make it a long term win for us.

I agree, Trouba would be the best asset to acquire and the best destination for Travis and his family.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
[/B]

And this is the tough part of Snow's job. At some point he should be able to sit Hamonic down and say "Travis I tried but could not get a deal that allows me to fulfill my obligation to the NY Islanders. We will do everything in our power to make this time as painless as possible for you but in return we expect you to fulfill the contract you signed which we interpret as you playing at your highest possible level"

You and AbeVukota nailed it perfectly. That would be entirely respectable.

If a deal must be done, best case scenario is a near-equivalent top-4 lefty. Fill that side with Leddy/De Haan/new D-man, elevate Pulock, bury Strait. I'll miss the hell out of having TH here, but the above process has to have been considered - maybe attempted and offered for all we know.

I haven't given up on this working out in our favor.......yet.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
exactly.

So dumb.

I'm beginning to think that a backup goalie is not the best idea for GM.

I think that Pulock and Mayfield may suck alot more than we think. Stats can look decent on paper but never translate to the NHL, Snow may not know this himself, but someone in the organization likely does.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
It's wierd to me that all the oilers players are untouchable.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would trade any of Pulock Reinhart Mayfield Pelech and plus for Hamonic.

I know these prospect have a lot of upside but the fact that people are saying isles would have to add to Hamonic to get Nurse is insane. I would be disappointed if we trade Hammer straight up for Nurse.

At the end of the day these guys are still just young prospects. Hamonic is a young, proven Top4 NHL Defensman and top shutdown guy signed to an amazing deal.

Am I crazy?

No you are not. Hamonic is well on his way to being a perennial star. IMHO if Snow can't get better or equal value then Hamonic stays.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think that Pulock and Mayfield may suck alot more than we think. Stats can look decent on paper but never translate to the NHL, Snow may not know this himself, but someone in the organization likely does.

How will we know that they suck if they never play an NHL game?

Considering Capuano thinks so highly of Strait could be indicative of his views of what an NHL level d-man is as well.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Entirely possible.. perhaps an overreaction on my part.

You don't want to rush them up to the bigs and then struggle for years.

Right Josh?

Hopefully they are getting solid minutes down there, b/c if we don't get a solid D man in return (and that would have to be the case) someone is going to get the call.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Considering Capuano thinks so highly of Strait could be indicative of his views of what an NHL level d-man is as well.

Come on. Enough with the Pulock stuff. The guy played a little over 1/2 of an AHL season. He was decent in camp this year, but did not blow us out of the water. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him getting some more seasoning.

Mayfield is a third pairing guy. He's not going to replace Hamonic.

If *anything*, the Hamonic trade request elucidates why NYI signed Zidlicky. The veteran insurance is important. But having Mayfield and Pulock developing in the AHL as opposed to getting NHL time just has nothing to do with it.

The truth is that Strait leaves the lineup to play only occasionally when Hickey comes back. We don't want a youngster riding the pine.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I would just like to thank Cappy and Garth for relying on on Strait and Zidlicky so we have no clue what we have in Pulock and Mayfield.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

If players are bad enough the scouts can be reasonably confident in telling the team no way can you bring this guy up he would be in way over his head. Mayfield looked okay in those playoff games but I recall Keith Jones saying guys tend to look serviceable when they debut in big games or the playoffs because the opposition is too focused on winning a short series they cannot be bothered with trying to expose a guy, they usually have a plan already and they stick with it. Bring him up during the season its a different deal as in an 82 game season teams can focus on trying to expose 1 player on a team in a game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
No you are not. Hamonic is well on his way to being a perennial star. IMHO if Snow can't get better or equal value then Hamonic stays.

I don't see why Garth would trade Hamonic until he gets what he wants. This isn't a situation with a disgruntled player on a bad contract or anything. Hamonic is a desirable commodity. I can't see the trade request hurting Hamonic's value at all. His contract is great, he is young, still room to improve etc.

If I am Garth Snow, I take my sweet time in finding the right deal. Let Hamonic know that his request will be honored but it may not be immediately. If Snow plays his cards right he can extract great return for a great young player.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I would just like to thank Cappy and Garth for relying on on Strait and Zidlicky so we have no clue what we have in Pulock and Mayfield.

Not making emotional and rash decisions wrt young players' development when unexpected stuff happens is something I would like to thank Snow for.

Frankly, Zidlicky's signing and the youngsters in the AHL makes a whole lot more sense now that we know about Hamonic's request.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I'm very anxious to hear what hamonic and team have to say today. Very rare for someone to actually come out and say he will address trade rumors and it appears that's what hammer is going to do based on staple's tweet.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
First the Hamonic news now Alderson trades Syndegard for a utility guy and a 39 year old relief pitcher. This day just keeps getting better.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'm very anxious to hear what hamonic and team have to say today. Very rare for someone to actually come out and say he will address trade rumors and it appears that's what hammer is going to do based on staple's tweet.

Has he given a time when he is addressing the media/public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad