Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
[QUOTE=PK Cronin;109633483]We won't know until tomorrow, and even then we might not know, but it's probably a lot more difficult than what you're describing.

If it's someone suffering from a long term illness or someone who is in a critical point in an illness, you don't uproot them to a city they aren't familiar with. Familiarity, comfort, family, and friends are all important. I could see why someone wouldn't want to do that.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. I went through it twice with both my parents. The only place they want to be is home.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Hamonic is one of the most important players on this Islanders team. If they trade him, it will constitute a major step backwards for the organization. After all the years of painful hockey I've had to watch just for them to get to this point, seeing them get rid of Hammer will be the final straw for me. I don't care what the reasons are, I can't stand watching this team destroy their chances of being competitive once again. I adopted the Los Angeles Kings as a second team back in 2007 and since then they've done nothing but justify my support. At least if the Islanders break my heart (once again) I can count on the Kings...

My brother! I adopted the Kings back when Hrudey went over to LA.

But the Kings have had some whacked out stuff in the past two years with Richards, Voynov and now Bartosak. Things are not all perfect for that franchise either. Plus they have traded numerous 1st rounders to go for the Cup which failed miserably last year for Sekera and may hopefully work for them with Lucic.

Anyhow, back to the Hammer situation...........

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Right now, you have to get what you can for Hamonic. It's pretty much a sure thing that we will all be disappointed with what we get back for him. So just be prepared. Very similar to Vanek, the return will be very small due to the limited amounts of teams he can be traded to. I wouldn't hold out hopes for Trouba or Klefbom or Nurse, isn't gonna happen.

I would rather keep him and suspend him, than trade him for pennies. Hamonic is a very good defender who is signed to a extremly friendly contract. If we can't get a good return, there is no point in trading him. It would be better to keep him and trade him when the time is right.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Breaking News: this isn't about the Islanders, it's about Travis Hamonic.
But this is every arm chair GM's big moment. :sarcasm: A chance for every fan to make the most ridiculous trade proposals.:D

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Breaking News: this isn't about the Islanders, it's about Travis Hamonic.

It is a multifacted situation. Obviously Hamonic's personal issues are paramount.

Travis signed a team friendly deal which should be taken into consideration. He has been nothing but a true professional and the definition of a loyal soldier to this franchise. This is why I believe Snow is trying to do right by him and the organization. Snow will not ship Travis away for a Vanek type deal. He will get some form of comparable assets.

Travis is signed to an incredibly team friendly deal and is not an impending free agent which makes his value MUCH higher than Thomas Vanish.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
If I were Snow I would tell Hamonic that his request would try to be fulfilled but if the team cannot find what is considered equal value then a leave of absence would be granted and/ or a plane would me available 24/7. A private plane can be pre cleared through customs.

As someone who has worked under contract one of the downsides is the obligation to the contract is unforgiving and you have to understand that.

Keep in mind that even if traded he would still be on the road 50% of the time.

Don't mean to sound harsh but sometimes life is harsh.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
If someone in Hamonic's family is that badly ill that he needed to request a trade, then why on Earth is Hamonic still a New York Islander?

At this point you don't try to get equal value, you send the kid home..

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hope this thing gets resolved soon.

I can't stomach proposals having Okposo and Strome as throw ins in a Hamonic deal for players that wouldn't even be enough for Hamme alone, for the rest of the year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If someone in Hamonic's family is that badly ill that he needed to request a trade, then why on Earth is Hamonic still a New York Islander?

At this point you don't try to get equal value, you send the kid home..

Exactley. Screw the other 20 players you also have a responsibility to and the rest of the franchise and fanbase.

We need to do anything possible for Hammer. Snow could use the brownie points and a few good stars. Just send Hammer to WPG for future considerations. Or just release him.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I wish Travis the best. I don't think he is intentionally trying to kill the Islanders and I'm sure if it was not a dire situation he would not ask to be traded, however
he is a HUGE asset and his loss is going to hurt us, so its garth's responsibility to get the best possible deal he can for the team.

if the Oilers, Flames, Jets Etc. cant give us something that will improve the team then i'm sorry, we have to look elsewhere.be is a three way deal or whatever but if we give him away we can kiss any progress we have made goodbye.

remember how much his loss hurt us in the playoffs last season? he is a huge part of this team and is going to leave a big hole in our D corps.

yes we have some guys in the system, but our core guys are hitting their prime now. and what happens when JT becomes a UFA? its not far away, will he commit to us if we haven't made ripple in the playoffs yet? we don't have another Tavares in the system.

this is a turning point in the direction of the organization.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
As someone who has worked under contract one of the downsides is the obligation to the contract is unforgiving and you have to understand that.

Keep in mind that even if traded he would still be on the road 50% of the time.

Don't mean to sound harsh but sometimes life is harsh.

Yep. A contract is a contract, and sometimes, they mess your life up. You can either walk away from the money or honor the contract. Hamonic is incredibly fortunate to be able to tell his apparently accomodating employer that he wants to work somewhere else.

He chose an occupation that is merciless in its travel requirements. I have a friend who was on a boat while his son was being born. Awful, sad, but these are choices we make. Hockey players often leave home in their early teens.

None of that means I wish ill on Hamonic or don't want the team to accommodate his request; it does mean that I don't want the team to accommodate his request at the expense of the roster's overall quality. If that means waiting, so be it.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I feel bad for whatever Travis and his family are going through. But this is going to damn the Islanders for years to come. There's just no way they come out of this situation on top.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
A couple of obvious points.

(i) I want to know that both NYI and Hamonic's camp didn't leak this. Then I can be rightly pissed at whatever ******* of an opposition executive of a good 'ol Canadian hockey team leaked the info. That way I can bash every fan of a Canadian team when they pull their moral superiority act. (I apologize to Canadian NYI fans. But you totally know what I'm talking about.)

(ii) We don't know what Hamonic's going through. We just don't. Even if he tells us, we don't know.

(iii) We don't know that trading Hamonic is the only option on the table. We assume that it is, but we don't know.

(iv) It's going to be okay in the end. Really, it will be. I believe Snow and Hamonic will end up handling this like gentlemen and NYI will continue to reinforce the classy reputation they've been developing.

(v) Ryan Pulock. Dude, it's time. People are watching.

HumphreyBrogart

Apr 12, 2007
Mineola, LI/ Hoboken
I had to stop reading the main board. About 95% of the offers people are throwing out are downright infuriating. Just because Hamonic requested a trade doesn't immediately tank his value. I think Garth will hold on for a while to get the best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad