Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thing is, here's my problem. And if this makes me an a-hole, so be it.

A family member is sick. Very sick. Why not relocate them to New York? They have wonderful hospitals in New York, physicians that Hamonic can afford with a pro athlete salary. Hamonic being a professional hockey player is the clear breadwinner in the family, so what's preventing him from bringing his family closer to New York where he plays?

I can't help but think of what I would do if I was a professional athlete in a similar scenario, and it would be to relocate my ill parent closer to the team I was signed with. Especially if I had the money to afford top medical care in New York City. I don't know all the circumstances, but why do they have to stay in Winnipeg? Is it an immigration concern? I just wish there was a solution for this problem.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

A family member is sick. Very sick. Why not relocate them to New York? They have wonderful hospitals in New York, physicians that Hamonic can afford with a pro athlete salary. Hamonic being a professional hockey player is the clear breadwinner in the family, so what's preventing him from bringing his family closer to New York where he plays?

I can't help but think of what I would do if I was a professional athlete in a similar scenario, and it would be to relocate my ill parent closer to the team I was signed with. Especially if I had the money to afford top medical care in New York City. I don't know all the circumstances, but why do they have to stay in Winnipeg? Is it an immigration concern? I just wish there was a solution for this problem.

We won't know until tomorrow, and even then we might not know, but it's probably a lot more difficult than what you're describing.

If it's someone suffering from a long term illness or someone who is in a critical point in an illness, you don't uproot them to a city they aren't familiar with. Familiarity, comfort, family, and friends are all important. I could see why someone wouldn't want to do that.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Jets fan here...while Trouba isn't untouchable, I think the Jets would want something in addition as he's considered as the future star of the Jet's D.
There's a rumour that Entsrom is being shopped. Would he be of any interest? The jets could add a medium prospect like Armia.
Some combo of Myers, Buff, Ladd, Burmi, Stuart, Chariot, Stafford could also be available with some additions from either Wpg or NYI as needed.

Really want no part of Enstrom. Have always been quite meh on him. While I'd like Buff, he puts the team in some awful situations sometimes, and plus he's a UFA when he's looking for a lot of money.

If that's the case, then it's a bigger issue than hockey. Plus, Winnipeg is the Hamonic's home and his family runs a large farm. His family isn't going to ship out to New York for the sole reason that Travis has a job when there can be jobs fairly close to home.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
What kind of D is Hamonic?
Could something be worked around Hamonic and Barrie? (with adds, as needed)

Hamonic is a physical, stay at home defenseman who in recent years has tried to add more offense to his game. He's not particularly good at the offense part, but he's a solid defenseman. I think we overrate him a bit due to his physicality, but he's definitely a good top 4 guy.

Personally, I would love to get Barrie for him. I don't know how you guys value him, but I would think the Isles would have to add to get Barrie in a Hamonic deal.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that he would be OK with Vancouver? Why not just stay with the isles. The flights aren't that different far off from each other.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned he wouldn't need to go through customs if he was on a Canadian team.

Big Boss

Nov 17, 2013

We don't know about all causes, but it's indisputable fact that his farm in Manitoba is very important for him. It's his home, his life.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Geographically isn't Minny the closet place (aside from Wpg) and Dumba could make sense for both teams?!?

I love Hamonic and watched him play a ton in his junior days but I think you guys are dreaming if you think you're getting Trouba or Nurse back.

Unless you're adding Strome and Mad Mike is back in charge lol

And Snow owes Chiarelli one for the Boychuk heist PUKE!!!

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not sure if you guys have seen this article, and just wondering what your response is, if any. It covers a bit of the situation, the player, and the 4 possible destinations in Western Canada, and what they might be willing to offer.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/g...travis-hamonics-preferred-trade-destinations/

excerpt from article:
"Travis Hamonic is 25 years old. He’s a mobile, physical defensemen who can munch minutes and has a reasonable amount of offensive potential. He’s a steal against the salary cap, currently leads all defensemen in hits, is a right-shot defenseman and has favorable numbers when it comes to analytics. And his best years as an NHL player could very well be in front of him.

So from the standpoint of New York Islanders GM Garth Snow, there could never be a better time to trade him. But when the player not only asks for a trade, but limits his destination to one of four teams, any leverage Snow had over his possible trade partners is wiped out. There’s nothing the drops a player’s trade market value more dramatically than a desperate need to move him and a limited number of destinations."

it continues...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not sure if you guys have seen this article, and just wondering what your response is, if any. It covers a bit of the situation, the player, and the 4 possible destinations in Western Canada, and what they might be willing to offer.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/g...travis-hamonics-preferred-trade-destinations/

excerpt from article:
"Travis Hamonic is 25 years old. He’s a mobile, physical defensemen who can munch minutes and has a reasonable amount of offensive potential. He’s a steal against the salary cap, currently leads all defensemen in hits, is a right-shot defenseman and has favorable numbers when it comes to analytics. And his best years as an NHL player could very well be in front of him.

So from the standpoint of New York Islanders GM Garth Snow, there could never be a better time to trade him. But when the player not only asks for a trade, but limits his destination to one of four teams, any leverage Snow had over his possible trade partners is wiped out. There’s nothing the drops a player’s trade market value more dramatically than a desperate need to move him and a limited number of destinations."

it continues...

I'd say I have to disagree with this part of the article. Others have mentioned but two things are going on here. One is that it's more likely the radius will be increased because Hamonic can think in the back of his mind, it's closer than Brooklyn. The second is the teams that are competing are all in the same divisions and don't want a team around him picking up a Hamonic. So his value will actually increase with the fear that the team next to you could get much better.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Getting picks/prospects for harmonic is taking a step backwards at this point. I don't see how a harmonic trade will even have us breaking even.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hopefully he gets traded by the end of the month. It's gonna be a huge distraction. I don't want him playing either, because you just know he'll get injured, and then we are stuck with an injured asset that we can't trade. Hell, the options are limited as it is, Hamonic really hurt Snow's chances of getting equal value.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
It's not very common for a player to announce that he will talk to the media about rumors. Will be an interesting day.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Getting picks/prospects for harmonic is taking a step backwards at this point. I don't see how a harmonic trade will even have us breaking even.

Right now, you have to get what you can for Hamonic. It's pretty much a sure thing that we will all be disappointed with what we get back for him. So just be prepared. Very similar to Vanek, the return will be very small due to the limited amounts of teams he can be traded to. I wouldn't hold out hopes for Trouba or Klefbom or Nurse, isn't gonna happen.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

And next year everything starts again with the new owners. Big loss is that you won't find a comparable contract Hamonic has which adds more financial pressure. So I guess Okposo and Nielsen are gone at the dealine for picks most likely.

v0x99

Apr 29, 2015

HIs family member is in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Canada has free healthcare. WHy bring that family memeber to get treated in teh states and get charged a crap load of money for the same treatment? Why put that family member through hassle of MOVING to a completely different country? Logic doesnt make sense to move a sick family member to a different city just cause of your job. He did the right thing in requesting a trade. Honourable move on Travis' part.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I'd say I have to disagree with this part of the article. Others have mentioned but two things are going on here. One is that it's more likely the radius will be increased because Hamonic can think in the back of his mind, it's closer than Brooklyn. The second is the teams that are competing are all in the same divisions and don't want a team around him picking up a Hamonic. So his value will actually increase with the fear that the team next to you could get much better.

This. I don't think his value drops much at all because:

A) He his a top 4 Dman (never easy to come by)
B) Well established, physical, and only 24 (makes even harder to come by)
C) Friendly cap hit and years left on contract (not over the hill with big contract and or a impending UFA)
D) If all that does not entice you then like you said a team in your division will get him.

It's been 2 months...it's clear to these teams Garth is not giving him away. Not worried about his value/return.

Want a better player throw in some picks or if the price is right MDC.

Yitz

May 9, 2009
Hamonic is one of the most important players on this Islanders team. If they trade him, it will constitute a major step backwards for the organization. After all the years of painful hockey I've had to watch just for them to get to this point, seeing them get rid of Hammer will be the final straw for me. I don't care what the reasons are, I can't stand watching this team destroy their chances of being competitive once again. I adopted the Los Angeles Kings as a second team back in 2007 and since then they've done nothing but justify my support. At least if the Islanders break my heart (once again) I can count on the Kings...

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Welp this sucks, obviously we all hope Hamonic and his family are ok.

Snow/Isles have no obligation to trade Hamonic for below value, if they can not find fair value that keeps the team in a win now mode they can simply keep Hamonic and let him take a day off or so a month to fly home and miss some practice time. No need to rush anything from a management persepctive

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Whatever happens I think it's pretty safe to say our defense is going to take a huge hit. I Find it odd that he will also be addressing his teammates today. I would have thought some of them would know of his feelings. Something is definatley up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad