Management Travis Green [Head Coach]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Good coaches were once bad. Often bad coaches were once good. It's like with goalies. It's a crapshoot. Why on earth would you go all in (give Berube mad $$$$$) if it's a crapshoot?

I think everyone can agree that the core needs a bit less of a players' coach, and a bit more of a drill sargent. Sounds like the team just moved in that direction.

Reactions: Yak and LiseL

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Bernube.I don't think it's unrealistic to think that he asked for a 5-year $7 million deal. That is probably the number that he is going to get from either the Devils or the Maple Leafs.

His agent knew he was the top dog coach and was going to get the best money out of all of the coaches in the market and was prepared to ask for top money.

He also is probably on one of his last big contracts he'll ever get. Just like a ufa and it's time for him to cash in. If he gets fired from another job, chances are he doesn't get the big payday again. So for him he has to take his shot. He will get paid that top dollar.

Ottawa Senators Owner is new and probably balked at the thought of paying him top dollar for so long. He may have been in the 5 million range but seven is the going rate for a Stanley Cup winning. Best In class class coach. It was like shopping for a house, he thought he could afford that big old beautiful mansion. But when it came time to purchase he realized that maybe he can't really afford that much. Let's face it.

There's a shortage of a-lister coaches.

I have to wonder why Dean Evason was not giving the job. If it was up to me, I think that Green is probably my fourth choice for Coach. I may even call Daryl Sutter before Green.

P.S. We should have a rule about hiring a coach that disqualifies them at any time. "Were you a member of the Toronto Maple's organization. This small clause would save a lot of headache.'

Reactions: DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Will the writers & people who cover the team actually ask the team how much Travis Green makes per yr

Or they just gunna pretend it's not a money thing

Money thing needs context before it can be judged.

Let's say their number one choice is Berube, and their number two is Green.

Berube wants 7M and Green wants half.

Feeling that 7M is too much for a head coach doesn't mean this was a budget decision in the way people are presenting it. 9/10 teams in the league have budgets. The management has to work within a framework that makes sense fiscally. That doesn't mean that they are a budget team in the same way Ottawa was or Arizona was. It means like all businesses, there is an upper limit to what they can spend for each department, and they have to strategically allocate that money.

So we need that added context. Is it:
1 - We aren't willing to spend like most teams.
2 - We are willing to spend like most teams, but management doesn't perceive the difference between Berube and Green to be with double or triple Green's salary, when that money could be more effectively allocated.

The above is just using random numbers or names to illustrate a point. I'm not suggesting we wanted Berube or that he has been confirmed to want 7M.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Good coaches were once bad. Often bad coaches were once good. It's like with goalies. It's a crapshoot. Why on earth would you go all in (give Berube mad $$$$$) if it's a crapshoot?

I think everyone can agree that the core needs a bit less of a players' coach, and a bit more of a drill sargent. Sounds like the team just moved in that direction.

Most of the time, hiring a big money "experienced" coach does work out, at least for the first several seasons.

The Rangers hired Laviolette. He has them humming.
The Panthers hired Maurice. They're probably the cup co-favorites.
The Stars hired DeBoer. They're probably the other co-favorites.
The Knights hired Cassidy. They won the cup last year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well that’s my point. It’s possible they didn’t think it was the difference between Stanley Cups.

Fans are projecting their perceptions of Berube and Green onto Staios. Just because we might think there is a major difference between them, doesn’t mean our GM agrees.
I’m saying unless the money is unaffordable, get your damn guy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, the standard is hiring at least one person in a management or coaching role that has a recent, winning pedigree in the NHL. Someone that can set the standard for your organization.

It didn't have to be Berube. It could have been McLellan. It could have been an experienced GM to support Staios.

If you're going to try to tell the fans you're "best in class" while putting rookies and people who've won jack shit in every key role... then no, you shouldn't have bought the team.
No you said the standard was to hire the most expensive coach in the nhl and if they dont they shouldnt have bought the team. Which kinda doesnt add up there are 32 teams in the league how can every team have the most expensive everything?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Most of the time, hiring a big money "experienced" coach does work out, at least for the first several seasons.

No chance our roster is even half as strong as any of those teams though. Green is a bad hire, but a coach on any of those guys' caliber is also unrealistic.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

So the 4 deepest teams in the league are playing well. What a shocker. Staios took over the team in september why doesnt he have one of the best teams in the NHL? What a loser.

Will the writers & people who cover the team actually ask the team how much Travis Green makes per yr

Or they just gunna pretend it's not a money thing
Seems to me the people that want it to be all about the money are the posters here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

What do those teams have in common?

Swap those coaches with just about any, they are still humming in the playoffs

Put DeBoer in Ottawa when they were looking at him and we’re talking about how shitty of a coach he is

Reactions: LiseL

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
No you said the standard was to hire the most expensive coach in the nhl and if they dont they shouldnt have bought the team. Which kinda doesnt add up there are 32 teams in the league how can every team have the most expensive everything?

Lol wtf that's not what I said. I said that if it was going to cost Andlauer $15M more, over 4 years, to hire Berube over Green, he shouldn't have batted an eye.

$15M over 4 years is not a lot in the context of an NHL team trying to turn things around.

Do you think Bill Foley in Vegas would say thanks but no thanks over that? No because he wants to win and that's all he cares about. That's best in class.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What do those teams have in common?

Swap those coaches with just about any, they are still humming in the playoffs

Put DeBoer in Ottawa when they were looking at him and we’re talking about how shitty of a coach he is
1715111739603.png

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No chance our roster is even half as strong as any of those teams though. Green is a bad hire, but a coach on any of those guys' caliber is also unrealistic.

I thought that Philadelphia looked like a complete shitshow on paper and Tortorella (who admittedly has an expiration date) almost put them in the playoffs.

Montreal had no business finishing as high as they did either.

Not to say that we could have gotten either of those guys, but it's not as simple as "good team = good coach".

This thread is great.

It's almost summer. You must be getting excited.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023

Common thread among those 4 coaches listed

THEY ALL MAKE IN & AROUND $4,000,000 USD

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I thought that Philadelphia looked like a complete shitshow on paper and Tortorella (who admittedly has an expiration date) almost put them in the playoffs.

Montreal had no business finishing as high as they did either.

Not to say that we could have gotten either of those guys, but it's not as simple as "good team = good coach".

It's almost summer. You must be getting excited.
As you kind of alluded to, that's also Montreal and Philadelphia, they're just a tad more desirable and have a bit fatter wallets than Ottawa.

That being said, we can do a hell of a lot better than Travis Green.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Printing this out and putting it under my pillow until October. Hopefully all the histrionics here an on Twitter will make us all look like emo maniacs.

We've all been through this before.

1. Post-draft and summer interviews on Team 1200, a personal profile by Bruce Garrioch and Ian Mendes, some platitudes about "doing things differently."

2. At training camp, focusing on "different types of drills" and "bringing urgency and a real work ethic to camp". Interviews with players talking about "holding the guys accountable and demanding more from the team".

3. During exhibition season, if we win, we will be "cautiously optimistic that he's instilling the right culture with the key players on the team" and if we lose, "exhibition games don't really matter anyway and it's more about the coach getting to know his players in the organization".

4. Once the season starts, if we win early, "We should have hired Green two years ago and we would have made the playoffs" and if we lose, "Well, it takes awhile for a coach to really put his stamp on the team and get the guys to understand and buy into a new system."

5. By Christmas, it will be "He's turned this team around already, Dorion + DJ = bad" or "Some things are just out of Green's control at this point."

That's about as far as my prognostication abilities take me at this stage.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lol wtf that's not what I said. I said that if it was going to cost Andlauer $15M more, over 4 years, to hire Berube over Green, he shouldn't have batted an eye.

$15M over 4 years is not a lot in the context of an NHL team trying to turn things around.

Do you think Bill Foley in Vegas would say thanks but no thanks over that? No because he wants to win and that's all he cares about. That's best in class.
Well no we established what the most expensive coach in the league is going to make and you said if Andlauder cant pay the most he shouldnt have bought the team. The bolded is just a wild concept to expect. Id imagine you haven't looked into this organizations financials anytime recently. I'll give you a hint its nothing like Vegas's and operating a business in Ottawa Canada is nothing like operating one in Las Vegas Nevada. Id also guess you probably have never had to make any sort of hi leverage important financial investment/decision in your life either. The most wealthy people in the world dont even speak like this.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yep, Andlauer and Staois said that already.
I’m extremely surprised this seems to be catching so many off guard, we’ve heard this since they took over in late September, they were literally throwing water on fan expectations from the get go.

Having the sale go until September was criminal, had it happened sooner we’d have seen Dorion gone before all the mistakes made this summer. Nothing to do about the Chychrun trade, that’s a sunk cost, but Staios spoke up against the Oilers trading for him, what could have been with a sale happening a year previous is depressing.

DBC/Chychrun/Korpisalo are 3 moves made within a calendar year that put the team back years.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
I'm not sure I would have been on the fire DJ bandwagon if I knew his replacement would be Travis-effin'-Green. Sure it may work out but all evidence points to this being a terrible hire.

Is too late to tell Smith we were working about getting fired?

• Haha
Reactions: swiftwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad