Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
If Marchand also wants Coyle, that line will challenge the league for the worst second line.
It'll be marchand-coyle-geekie, Monty will deploy them as a shutdown line, and they'll get absolutely smoked when we play good teams (like they did last season) but this time they won't have Sway/Ullmark every game to save their ass. It's a recipe for disaster.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
I think Koepke and Sweezey have played well and deserve the extra look. Merk did 0 for me, it just is what it is.

Bummed Lysell was cut already. Like others have said, he should get at least a look with an NHL line. At the very least it's a free opportunity to see what he can do in that setting, don't know why they wouldn't want that info.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
It'll be marchand-coyle-geekie, Monty will deploy them as a shutdown line, and they'll get absolutely smoked when we play good teams (like they did last season) but this time they won't have Sway/Ullmark every game to save their ass. It's a recipe for disaster.
They'll realize it sooner than later.

Its baffling to me that the only regular forward we had last year with a CORSI over 50% was Pasta. With adding Lindholm and bouncing Zacha to the wing, they will be good but we will likely be a one line team.

Poitras looked really good with Frederic and Geekie and they would make a solid 3rd line.

Marchand and Coyle with whoever on the wing (Geekie weakens the 3rd, Tyler Johnson or Brazeau) is just not going to cut it. So many people are trying to spin as if we can pull it off but the numbers last year suggest otherwise.

We need a talent for the 2nd line RW spot and I promise we'll be disputing it heavily within just a few weeks into the season.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Geekie doesn’t do it for me, never has
He's a low impact player with a great shot. Tries hard, but ultimately generates very little offense on his own and is a pretty poor defender. Type of guy that is perfectly suited for a third line wing spot next to a playmaker, but a top 6 shutdown role? It's just asking too much from him.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
They overrate Geekie badly. He is a decent 3rd/4th line player but Montgomery puts high value on flexibility. Geekie can kill penalties, play center or wing and not hurt them defensively. He won't provide a lot if offense but will provide enough.

I still want Marchand-Poitras-Frederic as line 2.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
how tf is Osterlee still here?

They’re gaslighting us lmao

They overrate Geekie badly. He is a decent 3rd/4th line player but Montgomery puts high value on flexibility. Geekie can kill penalties, play center or wing and not hurt them defensively. He won't provide a lot if offense but will provide enough.

Geekie and Frederic interest me a lot this year.

Both are in contract years and both have steadily improved their offensive production each year.

But yes I agree about Geekie. He was definitely playing in over his head when thrusted into that top 6 wing spot.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
In Geekie's defense, he was 4th line on Seattle. I think he was a great value signing and agree 2nd line is not where i'd like to see him. But he's been very solid for us imo

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
In Geekie's defense, he was 4th line on Seattle. I think he was a great value signing and agree 2nd line is not where i'd like to see him. But he's been very solid for us imo
no one is really hating on geekie as a player, we're just hating on the bruins evaluation of him. They just seem to wildly overrate him in a way I don't really understand.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Heavy on assists when he's supposed to be a goal scorer.
This, like, isn't at all the case. Lysell is sort of like a poor man's Taylor Hall, when Hall was younger. Everyone thought Hall was supposed to be some mad goal scoring reincarnation of Pavel Bure, when he was more just a guy who could transition through the neutral zone in a blink and play off the half wall, mostly passing but also driving at tight angles to cause mayhem.

Thinking about it, I love that comparison. Lysell goes through the NZ like his hair's on fire and plays off the wall basically in isolation. He needs to work on two things - pulling up after making the offensive zone instead of bulling into some monster D looking to kill him, and continuing to refine his passing. He's made a lot of improvement to his passing but you'll still see him occasionally pass to an invisible teammate, which he did endlessly in his one SHL season.

Lysell's shot has improved by leaps and bounds by the year, but he's never going to be a top goal scorer. And no one ever really pegged him to be one, as far as I know.

Reactions: dugg133

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Geekie is a bottom 6. 2nd line is disturbing.

Agrees with all until the end. I believe Frederic is rather similar to Geekie. Extremely limited offensively and only appears in 20% of games. Another strong bottom six option. 2nd line not ideal.

Poitras on the RW with Lysell eliminated is the only hope.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Johnson/Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie/Johnson
Beecher-Kastelic-Jones
Brazeau

yeah idk man I would’ve at least like to have see a full sample size of Lysell instead of settling with the safety blanket.

I am also team keep Poitras in the middle no matter what

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I liked how Brown played this preseason. Meat and potatoes guy but I thought his forecheck was really good and was hard on the puck.

Lysell wasn't in competition for a 4th line role - he was competing with Poitras, Geekie, Johnson for a middle wing spot on the team. This doesn't close the book on Lysell's potential future ; it's just another roadblock they want him to hurdle over and force his way on to the team. I thought he did enough to at least warrant a longer look and I liked his play a hell of a lot better than Johnson's.

It appears Beecher and Kastelic are locks for two of the 4th line spots and they're still trying to figure out Johnson vs Brazeau vs Brown vs Tufte vs Jones for three of the remaing bottom 9 spots.

Brown should not be a consideration. Terrible NHLer. The 13th can be Tufte for size or if Sweeney truly needs a 5'8 veteran then Johnson is... acceptable.

Cannot imagine they signed Jones only to be the 13th forward as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad