Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holland making a statement this scrimmage. This guy has a pro shot and its good to see him have a positive start.

JVR looked invisible again with Kadri, this is going back to last year's sample. They don't mesh well together. If the plan was to get more secondary scoring by moving JVR off the #1 line. This one might not be a good idea.

Kessel couldn't score without Bozak, though Nylander showed why I think he can be a Alfredsson long range project. These 2 players are so identical at the same age.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
i wonder if we will put them on waivers? can't we just carry everyone?

Sadly, no :( But we could potentially trade them. Orr looks like an NHLer again, Abbott and Kozun looked like NHLers, even against good people who are much bigger than them. Abbott has gotten a lot better at skating and is a lot faster with even better stick handling abilities that he had before. McLaren was even using his size correctly. Those are the guys who everyone expected wouldn't be considered to be claimed on waivers at all, but that may change if they look at the tape.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Holland making a statement this scrimmage. This guy has a pro shot and its good to see him have a positive start.

JVR looked invisible again with Kadri, this is going back to last year's sample. They don't mesh well together. If the plan was to get more secondary scoring by moving JVR off the #1 line. This one might not be a good idea.

Kessel couldn't score without Bozak, though Nylander showed why I think he can be a Alfredsson long range project. These 2 players are so identical at the same age.

This is just the 1st day - come on guys

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
The coach who thought that skating around like chickens with their heads chopped off in the defensive zone is a viable way to win hockey games for 2 and a half years is now given the opportunity to redeem himself with a new system? This doesn't fill me with any confidence. Seems like another lost season.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

Kessel had 19 points in 20 games with Kadri last season. :teach:

P.S. Good to see that your back to your 01 game samples :shakehead.

leafstilldeath*

Abbott was in the first game, so maybe that's why you didn't see him. And I wouldn't be so sure. I don't know how many teams could realistically lose every single one of the guys put up for waivers on waivers. Besides Marshall and McLaren, all of the guys we may put on there can be seriously considered to be claimed. Explains the success of the Marlies for a good stretch now.

However, I'm sure you are right about every team in the same situation. I think there should be a rule where everyone is waiver exempt until like October, but I guess there's issues with that right so why mess with something that's working.

I think the idea is that if a player can play in the NHL then he should play.

If somehow we decide a certain player is not NHL ready and put them on waivers however other team thinks that play is NHL ready and claims them then that player may/will get to play in the NHL.

Didn't Isles ice the team from the waiver claims recently? lol

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sadly, no :( But we could potentially trade them. Orr looks like an NHLer again, Abbott and Kozun looked like NHLers, even against good people who are much bigger than them. Abbott has gotten a lot better at skating and is a lot faster with even better stick handling abilities that he had before. McLaren was even using his size correctly. Those are the guys who everyone expected wouldn't be considered to be claimed on waivers at all, but that may change if they look at the tape.

Kozun is 24 and can't contribute consistently at the AHL level. He is a minor league player. He has wheels and drive and I actually enjoy watching him play. He just doesn't have the finish.

leafstilldeath*

Bozak injured even before the season began. That fitness and conditioning though lol

:laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Agreed let's use a bigger sample Kessel's 82 game sample last season.

Kessel .79 without Bozak projected 65 point year 13-14
Kessel 1.05 with Bozak projected 85 point year 13-14

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Agreed let's use a bigger sample Kessel's 82 game sample last season.

Kessel .79 without Bozak projected 65 point year 13-14
Kessel 1.05 with Bozak projected 85 point year 13-14

Lol, first go to one game sample, then go with misleading stats in back to back posts. You are the best poster :joker:
You know that is a BS stat cause it also includes centers like smith. Better for you to do Kessel with Bozak vs Kessel with Kadri. Oh wait, we all know why you wouldn't do that.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Kadri looked great in that video alongside Fratty. The talent is undeniable.
Nice to see Holland pot a couple as well.

Were the goalies alternating playing for both teams? I got that impression.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol, first go to one game sample, then go with misleading stats in back to back posts. You are the best poster :joker:
You know that is a BS stat cause it also includes centers like smith. Better for you to do Kessel with Bozak vs Kessel with Kadri. Oh wait, we all know why you wouldn't do that.

They are the facts, and you asked for a bigger sample than 20 games. :nod:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

really? boooo
this makes everything more interesting, then.

Orr and McLaren are going to be interesting. if they make the team, people will be going "see Randy isn't making change" but if they DO well....(shrug)

leafstilldeath*

They are the facts, and you asked for a bigger sample than 20 games. :nod:

projection does not = fact.

Fact: Kadri 20 goals and 50 points

-without Kessel on his wing for extended period of time
-without 1st PP unit
-without consistent wingers
-in his 2nd full season, age 23

Fact: Bozak NO 20 goal season, NO 50 point season in the 5 years of NHL
-with Kessel on his wing
-with 1st PP unit
-with consistent wingers
-5 years @ 28 years old and still waiting

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
really? boooo

Orr and McLaren are going to be interesting. if they make the team, people will be going "see Randy isn't making change" but if they DO well....(shrug)

Knowing Carlyle, we probably will have one of Orr or Mclaren around. I really don't care for the goon tags, Orr is at least defensively responsible. And it won't matter who is on the 4th line anyway with 6mins of ice time a game unless we are suddenly rolling 4 lines.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
projection does not = fact.

Fact: Kadri 20 goals and 50 points

-without Kessel on his wing for extended period of time
-without 1st PP unit
-without consistent wingers
-in his 2nd full season, age 23

Fact: Bozak NO 20 goal season, NO 50 point season in the 5 years of NHL
-with Kessel on his wing
-with 1st PP unit
-with consistent wingers
-5 years @ 28 years old and still waiting

Its okay, he's already conceded that Kadri is better then Bozak. When you have to resort to stats like Kessel with Bozak vs Kessel without Bozak. You know its done. Its like when a guy is cornered and ready to surrender, but is looking for a way to save face.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013

Kessel didn't score because he is carrying about 15 pounds of rust. Kontiola looked good though.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
really? boooo

Hopefully neither of them see much ice. Their time is done. Now lets get some 4th liners in there that can skate and create pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad