Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

Slap happy stretch pass off the wall was our break out. What happen when the team was down and our 2 excellent PMD had the ball and chain lifted? You have it backwards. Our puck possession game the lack of it left this team sitting ducks. We didn't just stink with a puck possession game from the breakout. We sucked in the cycle as well. Stationary, not skating, trying to work the wall these were all cuprits that killed us. We have speed and skill yet we rarely used it with short passes in the cycle. Montreal ran the warm why were they able to breakout and work the cycle with not a team built with size & grit? PMD were used right and they used there strength of speed & skill. Even Chicago ran the swarm but that team is a puck possession machine.... That's what we should be striving for not play the grind off the wall stationary game when we lacked those players. Adjust, adjust adjust.

There's more ways than just size to run the cycle we never adjusted in any of it both from the breakout to sustain puck possession nor within the cycle. We weren't perfect no team is thus this quote once again from Sutter who wait for it runs the swarm when defending the cycle LA KINGS

With the rules in place to eliminate the clutch & grab this what teams that play defense are all about in todays game and again a Sutter quote sound familiar?

These are quotes from a coach who utilizes a form of the swarm;) It's not the swarm neither the team defense. It's our offense that's brutal but people turn a blind eye to it cause we have individual players that can score goals.;)

I wish the new Stats department with the Leafs does the possession stat based on "actual possession".

Basically, view the tape of the game and count the mins as for how long the Leafs have possession of the puck. Then break it down by 5 man unit and then per player.

This will provide an additional statistic on top of the Corsi stat for possession metric.

Recently there was a news out that Rangers are gonna put the chip in the player jerseys that can be tracked on ice. Basically, they will be able to tell exactly where the 5 man unit were at every second of the play. I hope the Stats Department of the Leafs are keeping up with new information.

I had talked tracking player movements over here:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=89085531&postcount=450

I have many more ideas, Shanahan get I get a job with the Stat Department please ;)

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Kadri is looking really good.

Afterall of the criticism last year I think that a few players could surprise by having good seasons. Expectations are so low that players could easily exceed expectations

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Lupul said the dzone system has the wingers covering the points more instead of collapsing low and leaving the points open.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Jeebus Phanuef responsible for 3 goals against in the scrimmage. Way to bring it first day Captain

CalgaryLeaf*

If you watch the Lupul interview on Leafs.com he said that this years def system is what most hockey players grew up playing...He then blurted out to Henny that last years system was something he had never played before or something to that effect..I'm paraphrasing.

This seems odd to me because he did play for Randy in Anaheim...How was last year's def system "completely new to him"?
What say you?

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
....its a scrimmage

Yeah watch it. Phaneuf gets scored on third goal grabs the puck and fires a clapper at Polak like an 8 year old.

Welcome to the team Polak here is your Captain.

Gets paired up with my favorite prospect and ***** the bed cause that is what Phaneuf does. Guy never fails to disappoint.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah watch it. Phaneuf gets scored on third goal grabs the puck and fires a clapper at Polak like an 8 year old.

Welcome to the team Polak here is your Captain.

Gets paired up with my favorite prospect and ***** the bed cause that is what Phaneuf does. Guy never fails to disappoint.

The thing I got from that is that Orr looked like a freaking puck wizard. Didn't he have like a goal and an assist. He also looked competent out there like he wanted to get a spot. He had some good looking puck handling skills and his goal was beautiful. Enforcers don't have skills like that.

Also, I didn't get a good look at Phaneuf in the video, but he didn't look like he was being a bum or anything.

EDIT: Sorry, I did actually see the thing that you were talking about. However, it was the 4th goal which is why I didn't notice.

Last edited:

leafstilldeath*

If you watch the Lupul interview on Leafs.com he said that this years def system is what most hockey players grew up playing...He then blurted out to Henny that last years system was something he had never played before or something to that effect..I'm paraphrasing.

This seems odd to me because he did play for Randy in Anaheim...How was last year's def system "completely new to him"?
What say you?

[nhl]631391[/nhl]

Colton Orr came to play. Looked good from what I saw. Can see urgency in his game. Liking that he wants to compete and prove he is a hockey player not just a face puncher.

Leivo was flying.

Phaneuf being a baby lol.

Booth didnt look that good.

Reimer gives up 4 goals? lol

Then again just highlights......

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Colton Orr came to play. Looked good from what I saw. Can see urgency in his game. Liking that he wants to compete and prove he is a hockey player not just a face puncher.

Leivo was flying.

Phaneuf being a baby lol.

Booth didnt look that good.

Reimer gives up 4 goals? lol

Then again just highlights......

Winnik, Abbott and Kozun also looked good from what I saw. It's going to be a shame to see some of these guys on waivers.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Swarm is a funny name but perhaps it is accurate. I have been a proponent of the collapsing system but not the swarm. The "swarm" had the wingers chopping down on the cycle and that makes it very hard to get in the d mans shooting lane. I prefer the collapse system that may give up a bit on the cycle but protects the house which is and always has been, the place where most goals come from.

Cherry hates the collapse or swarm and although I disagree with him - it killed the Leafs as they have som few shot blocking players at any position. You can't play that type of defense unless you are willing to get hit with pucks.

Tight point defense will reduce point shots and help thew breakout but it allows more space lower in the zone so the D and the center need to be damn good. This will not play into Kadri's strengths in anyway so his d zone starts outght to be very few.

The main issue still is the fact the Leafs do not have enough talent across the roster to win enough games. They can play whatever system they want and that will not change for this year.

leafstilldeath*

Winnik, Abbott and Kozun also looked good from what I saw. It's going to be a shame to see some of these guys on waivers.

Oh yea forgot about Winnnik and Kozun. Didn't notice Abbott as much. I guess I need to watch it again lol.

As for losing these guys; well I am sure some of the other teams are in the same situation. It will eventually even out I guess.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oh yea forgot about Winnnik and Kozun. Didn't notice Abbott as much. I guess I need to watch it again lol.

As for losing these guys; well I am sure some of the other teams are in the same situation. It will eventually even out I guess.

Abbott was in the first game, so maybe that's why you didn't see him. And I wouldn't be so sure. I don't know how many teams could realistically lose every single one of the guys put up for waivers on waivers. Besides Marshall and McLaren, all of the guys we may put on there can be seriously considered to be claimed. Explains the success of the Marlies for a good stretch now.

However, I'm sure you are right about every team in the same situation. I think there should be a rule where everyone is waiver exempt until like October, but I guess there's issues with that right so why mess with something that's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad