News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Puljujarvi, Aberg, Rieder, Yamamoto, Benson, McLeod all have decent speed.

We know McDavid and Nurse have excellent speed as well.

If things go reasonably well for the Oilers... ie players playing up to their abilities and continuing to develop and improve... this team could quite quickly go from slower than average to much faster than average.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

If things go reasonably well for the Oilers... ie players playing up to their abilities and continuing to develop and improve... this team could quite quickly go from slower than average to much faster than average.

Keep in mind that Gulutzan also said the Oilers were going to play a faster system this year. Excited to see that in action.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Don't forget Caleb Jones his game is tailor-made for fast hockey. From reports he's looking good at camp as well.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
None of these guys are NHL players now. Until they pan out in the NHL i will withhold the praise seeing as we have one that route in the past praising guys before they even get to the ahl often.

Sorry to be a buzzkill but how can he get props when none of these players have done anything as a pro thus far and even the highly drafted Puljujarvi has had a tough time of it thus far?

Some of the prospects are trending well but IMO, the GM and scouting staff don't deserve any props until at least some of these guys are developed into NHL or even AHL contributors. Right now it's just hopes, dreams and hype.

I get what you're both saying, but I think its safe to say that this prospect group is much better than the depth groups that have been praised in the past. Bear has already played some games, Jones looks like he's making a serious push. Benson and McLeod both look to be a year away from contributing here.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
To be fair, you can draft well and then fail the players in development. Drafting and development are two different things.

Exactly and in the past I feel our development was the worst and it destroyed a lot of chances even if our drafting was good.

It was a mess before.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Exactly and in the past I feel our development was the worst and it destroyed a lot of chances even if our drafting was good.

It was a mess before.

Our development ruined a lot of players careers in the past. I remember the days when we didn’t even have a farm team and we’re loaning players to other clubs farm teams where they would take a back seat to prospects owned by the club. Then there is our history of rushing high draft picks. We did get it right on a few players like Eberle,Nurse and Klefbom.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Our development ruined a lot of players careers in the past. I remember the days when we didn’t even have a farm team and we’re loaning players to other clubs farm teams where they would take a back seat to prospects owned by the club. Then there is our history of rushing high draft picks. We did get it right on a few players like Eberle,Nurse and Klefbom.
I aways read this, but am curious as to who we rushed.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Yeah I honestly don't get this either...

2017 - Yamamoto sent down
2016 - Pulju has spent time in AHL both seasons
2015 - Nobody holds Connor back
2014 - Draisaitl sent down to junior, starts next year in AHL
2013 - Nurse spent 2 more years in junior and started draft +3 in NHL
2012 - Yak, 1st overalls are never held back. His lack of hockey sense and Eakins ruined him, not how quickly we put him in the league
2011 - RNH, was NHL ready, still doing fine.
2011 - Klefbom. Developed for several years and is a #1 dman when healthy.
2010 - Hall was NHL ready. Elite 1st overall pick
2009 - Paajarvi. This is the one that I will argue should have spent some time in the AHL instead of starting in the NHL in draft +2
2008 - Eberle. Waited a couple seasons. Did just fine. Our coaching didn't do him any favours
2007- Gagner. Kid was NHL ready. Coaching ruined him after his rookie season.

That is every 1st round pick post lock-out. The only case one can MAYBE make for rushing players is Paajarvi, but I think he, like our other busts falls more into the part on himself, part on our coaching/environment did him no favours.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
At the scrimmage yesterday,
Reider looked pretty good. Good speed and ability with the puck. i think he'll be a good fit here.
Chiasson was a big lanky body that played with a bit more effort than i thought he would.
Connor looked good as usual but i felt like he almost looked a bit bigger and maybe slightly less quick. hard to say for sure after one scrimmage.
looch was trying for the most part but still has issues with puck control and decision making and processing. a couple, at least, frustrating moments between him and drai. connor picked looch's pocket from behind in neutral zone like taking candy from a baby one time as looch tried to swing up ice with the puck.
aberg did not look good. seemed like he tried to do too much with the puck a couple of times.
wasn't really impressed with yamamoto
mcleod looked good. nice speed.
didn't pay much attention to bouchard but noticed a horrendous giveaway and another defensive mistake. footwork might need work.

hard to read too much into it. really early on.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

I've always thought it's not that most of the players were "rushed" into the NHL.... they were just forced to play on a garbage team. Harder to develop when you're dragging around your aging "skilled" wingers or when your line has played like 10 NHL games combined.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
At the scrimmage yesterday,
Reider looked pretty good. Good speed and ability with the puck. i think he'll be a good fit here.
Chiasson was a big lanky body that played with a bit more effort than i thought he would.
Connor looked good as usual but i felt like he almost looked a bit bigger and maybe slightly less quick. hard to say for sure after one scrimmage.
looch was trying for the most part but still has issues with puck control and decision making and processing. a couple, at least, frustrating moments between him and drai. connor picked looch's pocket from behind in neutral zone like taking candy from a baby one time as looch tried to swing up ice with the puck.
aberg did not look good. seemed like he tried to do too much with the puck a couple of times.
wasn't really impressed with yamamoto
mcleod looked good. nice speed.
didn't pay much attention to bouchard but noticed a horrendous giveaway and another defensive mistake. footwork definitely needs work.

hard to read too much into it. really early on.

Let's hope Draisaitl turns him into our version of William Karlsson.
It would be great to have a player explode out of nowhere.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

I think he's going to post career-high numbers this year. His career high in goals is 16 and points is 37. I could see him being a 20-20-40 guy or even more if he gets some PP time and clicks with Drai.

Reactions: booyakasha

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think he's going to post career-high numbers this year. His career high in goals is 16 and points is 37. I could see him being a 20-20-40 guy or even more if he gets some PP time and clicks with Drai.
William Karlssons career high was 9 goals one season, and 25 points another....then he exploded for 43 goals and 78 points at 25 years old.
I hope the same happens for Toby.
source.gif

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

i'm more hoping looch will get it together and not be the hurtin unit or anchor on that line should it carry forth into the season. i think drai and connor play too quick and process the game at a level looch cannot keep up with (at least it looks that way now). he may need to drop to the third line and play with the likes of chiasson or brodziak etc so that at the very least he can start getting some confidence back and get his mojo back. he looks like he's treading water and near drowning at times playing with drai or connor. i think if he gets his mojo or confidence back he could definitely slot in with them from time to time. i don't think he has the overall ability to stay with those top 2 guys for long stretches. needs to dip to third/slower line every now and then to regain mojo. it sucks to say but maybe the game has just gotten too fast for him. i hope he proves me wrong this season but he'll need some work through training camp and early in the season...

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
We're in a weird spot with Pulju. We need him to progress and develop. But because we blew a year of his ELC we aren't going to be able to afford him if he takes too big of a step forward.

Basically we need something like a 20-25 goal and 40-50 point season from him. Too much more than that and we're going to be looking at him looking for a contract we aren't going to be able to afford.

Dont get too attached to anyone not named McD or Drai. If we have any success all the other positions are going to be musical chairs for at least a few seasons.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
So, My wife and kids are gone this morning, and am having a great Sunday morning, browsing HF, drinkin a beer or three, and music cranked in the background....spotify plays Pantera, 5 finger death punch, Metallica, A7X, ...then? Korn??
like WTF?

Reactions: LaGu

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Could be. Rieder is pretty much a German version of Todd Marchant. hard working fast player that skates miles and can stretch clubs up and down the wing. Rieder is fast on forecheck and while he doesn't win many puck battles alone he at least sets up 50/50 chaos situations which Drai is good taking advantage of.

I would say Todd was more physical whereas Rieder has comparable hands. Neither is a classic goal scorer, both need tons of setups to get their goals but they both put themselves in good situations enough to get them. Rieder is in prime. Very good chance he could put up 20goals or 40pts playing with Drai. If he gets a regular dose of that I would almost bank on it.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Assuming we get to watch Montreal and Winnipeg tomorrow night, but the Oilers/Flames won't be on TV - just online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad