News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If he was able to out on size and muscle and simultaneously add speed overall...how the **** are teams gonna stop him now lol

"If the refs aren't calling penalties, I'll drag these ****ers hanging on my back into the net with me!'

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
@Drivesaitl cause you are old and can't figure out technology I'll pass on some scouting reports from people.

Klefbom looks healthy again
Jerebek making some solid offensive reads.

Koskinen has excellent rebound control and takes up a lot of the net. Goal Nuge scored on him (only one he allowed) was a top corner shot that would of been a hard stop for most goalies.

Stauffer thinks McLeod gets at least a few preseason games, doesn't look out of place.

Thanks from resident old fart #2 (me). I am torn on McLeod because he hasn't shown enough grit and IMO he needs more seasoning to try different things offensively at the OHL level. Unless he really ups his game I want him back in junior.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Jimmi talked about it and I believe in this thread.

You need to use technology. It's really that simple, there has been ample notification out there.

I view the actual team website. That should be enough to actually be informed, at source, of something going on.

The twitter feed posted above, again was 8:45 this AM for a 10Am start. if my employer set something up like that with no notice I would call it out too.

Didn't see one post on this thread referencing fan appreciation day. There was not one news article on it in any of the major dailies, no newscsts mentioned it.

So do people only get informed now if they subscribe to several tertiary social media sites that they are opposed to using?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks from resident old fart #2 (me). I am torn on McLeod because he hasn't shown enough grit and IMO he needs more seasoning to try different things offensively at the OHL level. Unless he really ups his game I want him back in junior.
Oh 100% that said getting preseason games is great and seeing him already handling the play is a great sign. Send him down though

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
@Drivesaitl cause you are old and can't figure out technology I'll pass on some scouting reports from people.

Koskinen has excellent rebound control and takes up a lot of the net. Goal Nuge scored on him (only one he allowed) was a top corner shot that would of been a hard stop for most goalies.

Stauffer thinks McLeod gets at least a few preseason games, doesn't look out of place.

jk aside I am opposed to social media and its effects. So of course I don't use facebook or twitter. I should not be required to in order to have information.

Is this fan appreciation day only for individuals that have 6 different social media accounts?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oh 100% that said getting preseason games is great and seeing him already handling the play is a great sign. Send him down though

Tell him what to work on while down there. His size and speed are NHL level for sure. I'm sure that he's heard the knocks on him being soft, avoiding traffic, etc and he needs to be the one to prove them wrong. No one can do it for him. His speed is high end for a NHLer already.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I view the actual team website. That should be enough to actually be informed, at source, of something going on.

The twitter feed posted above, again was 8:45 this AM for a 10Am start. if my employer set something up like that with no notice I would call it out too.

Didn't see one post on this thread referencing fan appreciation day. There was not one news article on it in any of the major dailies, no newscsts mentioned it.

So do people only get informed now if they subscribe to several tertiary social media sites that they are opposed to using?
It was on gregor's show numerous times. Not sure about the other shows as I only caught a bit of Jamieson this week. It has been on IG, twitter and like I said it's been on here.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I got a email from the Oilers on this event 10 days ago, I suggest you sign up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
jk aside I am opposed to social media and its effects. So of course I don't use facebook or twitter. I should not be required to in order to have information.

Is this fan appreciation day only for individuals that have 6 different social media accounts?
If you want information it's time to get with the times. If not then don't complain because you don't hear things because you refuse to be with the times.

This is like the newspaper guys that refused to join the online world. They refused to get with the times and hurt/ended their careers

Reactions: TB12 and Game 8

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Good news all around. The other thing I like about this is that RNH has a good shot...I hope he uses it more.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I got a email from the Oilers on this event 10 days ago, I suggest you sign up.

Thanks, given that I try to limit my email box I don't sign up for every notification. But I check sites regularly. The website update, the actual source, was 8am this morning. Is there any actual reason why they could not provide that advance notice just on their website? This is one of the few notices from the Oilers I would even care to have. Would not care about 99% of them trying to sell me tickets or trinkets..

I'll go pout now at not being able to watch this and not do my usual indepth player reporting.

I have sour beer face and its only Saturday morning.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You don't even remember your initial statement;

"You know he had very little help in Vancouver, right? They had two players over 20 goals. In the WHL. That’s pathetic. How pathetic? The horrendous Oil Kings had three. Four if you include Koch."

I must have forgot that having a 61 goal scorer on his wing is known as "very little help" or "pathetic help" silly me.

You were wrong, so what, it happens. own it.

no need to get angry because you were wrong.

I might be wrong but it is my sense that while Ronning was on the Giants they did not play together at ES all that much. I listened to at least a dozen Giants games last year and I don't recall them being together at ES. I also looked at a random sample of about 15 game summaries and I never found any ES points with the two together. Moreover it was pretty clear they were not on the same line ... things like one guy even the other -3.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If you want information it's time to get with the times. If not then don't complain because you don't hear things because you refuse to be with the times.

This is like the newspaper guys that refused to join the online world. They refused to get with the times and hurt/ended their careers
Hey, maybe the town crier took a different route this season. And do you know how much carrier pigeons cost these days?

:D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I might be wrong but it is my sense that while Ronning was on the Giants they did not play together at ES all that much. I listened to at least a dozen Giants games last year and I don't recall them being together at ES. I also looked at a random sample of about 15 game summaries and I never found any ES points with the two together. Moreover it was pretty clear they were not on the same line ... things like one guy even the other -3.

I heard from friends in Van that they did play together a fair amount. I didn't watch them personally.

But you have more first hand info then I do so I'll take that in consideration.

In anycase they were first unit pp.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I heard from friends in Van that they did play together a fair amount. I didn't watch them personally.

But you have more first hand info then I do so I'll take that in consideration.
. I looked at the game summary of all of the games
In anycase they were first unit pp.
I think we were both right to a degree. I looked very quickly at the game summaries for all the games Benson had a point in. From these it looked like it is possible that they played together most of January and a good part of February but less so at other times. I listened to games mostly in the first few weeks and in the last month including the playoffs so this may explain why I don't remember them playing together much.

I did not make a careful count so my numbers could be off by a fair bit but I would say that Ronning was in on about 20-25 points with Benson with maybe 12 or so being ES. It could be a little higher but not more than 25-30. That's a relatively small %-age of his points but it is a little higher than I might of though on the ES side. And many of these were Ronning goals assisted by Benson.

If I get some time I'll look at these more closely to get an accurate count

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So despite not having McDavid Team Blue (team Koskinen) won the scrimmage. It will be interesting to hear reports on the goaltending.
Blue team was Koskinen and Montoya, White was Talbot and Starrett. I think they each played half so it might of been Starrett getting smoked.

Also apparently the line of

Benson - McLeod - Aberg

Looked super good. Good mix of speed, skill and size.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The thing about McLeod is that his Rep is for having skill, size and speed, but not necessarily the motor to make himself a top 10 pick. His production was underwhelming given his skill set.

So when he was getting progressively better at rookie camp and was looking good with Benson and Aberg at the team scrimmage in his first NHL camp, I'd call those major up arrows for him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Blue team was Koskinen and Montoya, White was Talbot and Starrett. I think they each played half so it might of been Starrett getting smoked.

Also apparently the line of

Benson - McLeod - Aberg

Looked super good. Good mix of speed, skill and size.

Oh okay...good to know. I am just curious about Koskinen and how he is doing. I hope he succeeds in a big way.

McLeod and Benson are really turning some heads so far. It will be interesting to see them against some NHL competition later on in camp.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh okay...good to know. I am just curious about Koskinen and how he is doing. I hope he succeeds in a big way.

McLeod and Benson are really turning some heads so far. It will be interesting to see them against some NHL competition later on in camp.
100%. It's a major shame that we can't send McLeod to the AHL. I feel like with his size and speed it would be the best place for him to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad