News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
They might even want Perry more, he seems like he's pretty vocal and will tear a strip off anyone, probably JJ was told straight up by Connor/Leon or Connor himself to bring him back. Keith was a leader too but I think he's one of those more silent leader types.

Watching him chew out Kane even I was like "whoa, calm down buddy".
Thing is, Perry was horrific in the post season. Lazy, zero effort, and took a number of terrible selfish ill-timed penalities throughout the post-season. I don't get why this guy is so revered when all he has done since his rookie szn in the N is prove he can't clutch up when it matters. And then you look at his play on the ice, and he was a massive detriment all post-season long other than getting a tap-in from Connor in that one game. Who was there to yell at him when he took brutal penalties every series?

This guy is a farce. I'm okay if he rides the pine the entire season, but him getting regular ice time is a joke; we've already lost so much speed and youth this summer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They might even want Perry more, he seems like he's pretty vocal and will tear a strip off anyone, probably JJ was told straight up by Connor/Leon or Connor himself to bring him back. Keith was a leader too but I think he's one of those more silent leader types.

Watching him chew out Kane even I was like "whoa, calm down buddy".
So who's tearing a strip of Perry for being the worst player on the ice AND taking stupid and mindless penalties? Perry blowing up on Evander Kane was a new low point. This is Perry who was considered toxic waste in Chicago, that had wrecked his career. Only the Oilers threw him a life preserver (and I still don't know why" and he has the gall to be calling out other players? Look in the mirror Perry.

That Perry even thought he had license to call out another player is interesting at this point. I wonder too how Perry would respond if somebody had done that to him. Seems to have entirely forgot any semblance of how he was fired from Chicago in the first place.

To his credit Kane didn't join Perry in the gutter. Thankfully Kane limited any response.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So who's tearing a strip of Perry for being the worst player on the ice AND taking stupid and mindless penalties? Perry blowing up on Evander Kane was a new low point. This is Perry who was considered toxic waste in Chicago, that had wrecked his career. Only the Oilers threw him a life preserver (and I still don't know why" and he has the gall to be calling out other players? Look in the mirror Perry.

That Perry even thought he had license to call out another player is interesting at this point. I wonder too how Perry would respond if somebody had done that to him. Seems to have entirely forgot any semblance of how he was fired from Chicago in the first place.

To his credit Kane didn't join Perry in the gutter. Thankfully Kane limited any response.
Perry is toxic waste now?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Perry is toxic waste now?
Hawks considered him that after what transpired there. Just saying a guy that had totalled his career there should probably be somewhat thankful to even have any NHL continuance remaining. Maybe to even be humble about that. You wouldn't know it from Perry bellowing about a team mate here.

f*** around and find out..;)

Perry should call himself out. What would that look like?

Its been hard to like what Perry has contributed here. Mostly nothing. Theres times where it looks like he's still screwing over the Oilers.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Theres no legit reason for Perry to be here at all. Any notion that he's here just to be the experience guy is kind of silly. Others have suggested he's here as some type of leader. I don't see that either and his tantrums towards Kane were ridiculous. Perry should only be upset about how he's generally become an awful player and cratered his career in Chicago. Why do we even have him and continue to have him?

I suspect that hes here because the leadership core wants him here.

I thought Perry was decent in the regular season. But he showed absolutely nothing in the playoffs. I'm really not sure why he was resigned.

If he was signed because the leadership core wanted him here, I kind have to ask why? This group should be experienced at this point where they dont need him.

/shrug

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Love second chance reclamation projects so I'm watching Polzkolzin. Think he can provide some important speed and hard ice game to the bottom of roster maybe with a bit of support scoring. Edmonton is generally pretty good with reset guys and this coach and surrounding veteran teammates might help to stabilize some of the raw potential.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Love second chance reclamation projects so I'm watching Polzkolzin. Think he can provide some important speed and hard ice game to the bottom of roster maybe with a bit of support scoring. Edmonton is generally pretty good with reset guys and this coach and surrounding veteran teammates might help to stabilize some of the raw potential.
I'm also really high on this kid, been saying that since the day we got him. He has something to prove and plays the game exactly what we need in a bottom 6 forward. My only concern is this org not giving him or RL a real shot to thrive, and the geriatric 4th liners just get the ice time over our kids.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm also really high on this kid, been saying that since the day we got him. He has something to prove and plays the game exactly what we need in a bottom 6 forward. My only concern is this org not giving him or RL a real shot to thrive, and the geriatric 4th liners just get the ice time over our kids.
I actually think he will be a 4/3 wing. Bringing speed and hard ice game to the 4th line oldsters can be really valuable and think that Ryan and Perry as pros-pros might actually fuel some of the mental growth Pod needs to stabilize a solid toolkit.

Not sure Ryan and Perry will be everyday players. Will be interesting to see the end of roster decisions come together through camp.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I dont buy the experience bit. This team has played the second most amount of playoff games (behind Florida) the past 3 seasons. They went to game 7 of the finals. This team is experienced. I also think the coach and players around can hold others accountable. We have seen Drai yelling at Kane on the bench, mentoring young guys. We have seen McDavid yelling at JP on the bench also.
And maybe Perry was a small part of getting to that game 7 or maybe not. Your opinion is fair but I for one still welcome his experienced voice whether it is on the bench, in the room or simply at the dinner table. Now if we were talking about a 4 million 2 year deal I would be scratching my head as well but the guy is getting a million and it’s a guy coach can confidently throw out on the 4th line and know he’ll do his job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valhallis

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hawks considered him that after what transpired there. Just saying a guy that had totalled his career there should probably be somewhat thankful to even have any NHL continuance remaining. Maybe to even be humble about that. You wouldn't know it from Perry bellowing about a team mate here.

f*** around and find out..;)

Perry should call himself out. What would that look like?

Its been hard to like what Perry has contributed here. Mostly nothing. Theres times where it looks like he's still screwing over the Oilers.

Perry won his appeal, and Serevalli (pretty sure it was him, could have been Friedman) said that it's very unlikely that any other team would go the lengths of contract termination. Blackhawks felt that they had to prevent the headline of "BACKHAWKS AT IT AGAIN!" Basically made the choice to put out a fly with a sledgehammer for appearances knowing they would lose an appeal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Perry won his appeal, and Serevalli (pretty sure it was him, could have been Friedman) said that it's very unlikely that any other team would go the lengths of contract termination. Blackhawks felt that they had to prevent the headline of "BACKHAWKS AT IT AGAIN!" Basically made the choice to put out a fly with a sledgehammer for appearances knowing they would lose an appeal.
Thanks for the feedback. Did not know the latter. Makes some sense that Hawks would be uber dilligent at the time to flush anything unsavory out. Was all kind of strange but so the Hawks are. Still don't want Perry here. Was open to him but he's done nothing here to make me think he should be a player this season.

And maybe Perry was a small part of getting to that game 7 or maybe not. Your opinion is fair but I for one still welcome his experienced voice whether it is on the bench, in the room or simply at the dinner table. Now if we were talking about a 4 million 2 year deal I would be scratching my head as well but the guy is getting a million and it’s a guy coach can confidently throw out on the 4th line and know he’ll do his job.
Perry having something to do with that is a long stretch of conjecture. His play on ice left the team lacking. The Oilers overcame the listless play of players like Perry.

I agree with those saying its long past where the Oilers should even need these types of voices. They have the experience all on their own.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. Did not know the latter. Makes some sense that Hawks would be uber dilligent at the time to flush anything unsavory out. Was all kind of strange but so the Hawks are. Still don't want Perry here. Was open to him but he's done nothing here to make me think he should be a player this season.

Perry having something to do with that is a long stretch of conjecture. His play on ice left the team lacking. The Oilers overcame the listless play of players like Perry.

I agree with those saying its long past where the Oilers should even need these types of voices. They have the experience all on their own.
And that’s your opinion and happy we got to read it but I still disagree. :cheers:

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

You the know the Oilers are in a great spot when half of the training camp discourse on this site is spent on blowing up our 12/13 forward who can be fired into the sun at any moment.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Good point you. I'm just jonesing for some sports and anything to happen.

These next few weeks are the worst. Pre-season is on so it feels like it's close, but they aren't real games yet so not the same. Football is great on Sundays, but MNF and TNF games can be hit or miss. Baseball is baseball.

The NHL usually has at least one intriguing game per evening to tune in to even if it isn't the Oilers. I find myself mindlessly flipping through channels without it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad