Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
PItchers don't pitch enough to have that kind of impact.

I rarely see elite QB's just randomly suck for a month or two like goalies do.
A pitcher plays just as much as a QB... half the game

And whether or not you see a QB randomly suck for a month doesn't make them more important than a goalie

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

And whether or not you see a QB randomly suck for a month doesn't make them more important than a goalie

Pitchers rarely play half the game anymore. They play about a third. And only play every 4/5 games.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

On average, only six or so pitchers across the majors pitch at least 200 innings. The peak is not much higher than that and it’s generally only going down. Another handful or so pitch make 33 starts. There’s 162 games in a season. That’s 1,458 innings per season (not including the odd extra innings here and there).

A so-called workhorse these days pitches up to 15% of all innings for a season and makes an appearance in 20% of the total games.

A QB plays all 17 games. On average, teams average 10-12 possession per game. Teams average 60-70 plays per game. The QB is on the field for all of these and commands all of them.

There’s no comparison whatsoever.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
McDavid statistically, Mahomes for winning and Ohtani when he is pitching and hitting is the most valuable player in baseball any given year. I’d go McDavid but all good choices.

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Nice time to bump this. Still Ohtani, but more firmly now. He just had possibly the best single baseball game in history yesterday to create the 50-50 club for baseball. Its hard to even think of a comparable circumstance in NHL history. One that was mentioned in r/hockey was Gretzky scoring 5 goals in one night to get to 50 in 39 games.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nice time to bump this. Still Ohtani, but more firmly now. He just had possibly the best single baseball game in history yesterday to create the 50-50 club for baseball. Its hard to even think of a comparable circumstance in NHL history. One that was mentioned in r/hockey was Gretzky scoring 5 goals in one night to get to 50 in 39 games.

He had 50-50 season but still isn’t even a top 2 most valuable player in the MLB this year.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ohtani should be a pure runaway leader in this thread, he’s just that much better

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What makes him not close to Witt at least?

Witt has been nearly as good offensively while being a plus defensive player at a prime defensive position. The offensive advantage of that level of hitter at SS rather than DH is huge and a 9.1 to 7.8 WAR is a pretty big difference.

And that’s not to hate on Ohtani, I just think he gets overrated because of his uniqueness of power/speed/pitching. He might have had one if stayed healthy last year but so far he’s never had a year as strong as McDavid in ‘21 or ‘23 relative to the MLB.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Witt has been nearly as good offensively while being a plus defensive player at a prime defensive position. The offensive advantage of that level of hitter at SS rather than DH is huge and a 9.1 to 7.8 WAR is a pretty big difference.

And that’s not to hate on Ohtani, I just think he gets overrated because of his uniqueness of power/speed/pitching. He might have had one if stayed healthy last year but so far he’s never had a year as strong as McDavid in ‘21 or ‘23 relative to the MLB.

Interesting. Seems a fair enough explanation.

As for interleague play, I never really thought about it like that. I don’t mind MLB continuing separate awards, considering it’s still what, 115-120 games being played inside their own league?

I would definitely be interested to see where voters would slot Ohtani this year if he was still in the AL, with the same season (aka still on the hapless Angels). Even though what you say makes a good case for Witt, it’s hard to imagine it wouldn’t be the alternate Judge-Ohtani vote for a fourth straight season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad