Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
MOTHERF***ER.

Oh boy. Williams better make the same quantum leap that Bernard did.

I don't think Williams is athletic enough to be an impact guy but we shall see I guess.

Honestly though, seeing Milano in practices up until this point, he looked like he wasn't ready to play yet. I was hoping he'd just miss a couple weeks and not a couple months, but this will I guess give him more time to work his way back on the leg injury.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Franchise is cursed. Of all the ways to get hurt in football...tearing a bicep in a drill with a tackling dummy has to be the Billsiest.

This is now three years in a row of having at least one major defensive player go down with a long-term/season-ending injury.
NFL has a 100% injury rate, I don’t think any curses are at play here.

Sucks but when you max out muscle mass, these things happen. I think they have the depth to overcome it, provided others stay healthy

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Kinda glad it happened now if it was going to happen. He didn't play in game one so Williams or whomever fills the hole played with the starters in week 1 pre-season and will continue on.

Also helps Babich was the LB coach the last few years so he should have a good pulse on how the Milano replacement is limited.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Milano's injury sucks, but I wonder if Beane and crew knew something was up. Dorian Williams was an odd third round pick. Really no reason to make it. Maybe they had some foresight due to information they had.

Milano is amazing but linebacker is an easily replaceable position in the NFL today. The team went from Edmunds to Bernard and got better, arguably.

• Wow
Reactions: ValJamesDuex

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Milano's injury sucks, but I wonder if Beane and crew knew something was up. Dorian Williams was an odd third round pick. Really no reason to make it. Maybe they had some foresight due to information they had.

Milano is amazing but linebacker is an easily replaceable position in the NFL today. The team went from Edmunds to Bernard and got better, arguably.
This is conspiracy level stuff. He had an impact injury (broken leg) last year and a muscle injury this year. Nothing related to each other and nothing that coiuld be "predicted" or foreshadowed previous to the injuries happening.

The Williams pick was nothing more than BPA. Injuries happen. Depth is good.

Reactions: Zman5778

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They took Bernard when people didn't see a path to the starting lineup for him.

They took Williams when people didn't see a path to the starting lineup for him.

They took Benford in the 6th round the same year they took Elam in the 1st round and people didn't see a path to the starting lineup for him.

They just take guys for depth knowing that depth may get tested.

:dunno:

Reactions: Zman5778

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That's rough. At that point, even if he does come back in late December- he wouldn't have played a meaningful down in 14 months. There will be a lot of rust. If that timeline is correct- he likely won't be nearly as impactful.

I wonder what this means for his future with the Bills? He's getting up there in age, and now has two long-term injuries in a row. So frustrating.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's rough. At that point, even if he does come back in late December- he wouldn't have played a meaningful down in 14 months. There will be a lot of rust. If that timeline is correct- he likely won't be nearly as impactful.

I wonder what this means for his future with the Bills? He's getting up there in age, and now has two long-term injuries in a row. So frustrating.

He has two years left on his current deal.

If they cut him prior to 6/1/2025, he will carry a $17M cap hit next season ($1M more than if they keep him on the roster).

If they give him the Tre White post-6/1 cut treatment, it will be around $6.2M in 2025 dead cap and $11M in 2026 dead cap.

He does have over $9M in case salary in 2025 and 2026. It will be interesting to see if he does them a Von Miller solid next year and move most of that base to Not Likely To Be Earned incentives...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This is conspiracy level stuff. He had an impact injury (broken leg) last year and a muscle injury this year. Nothing related to each other and nothing that coiuld be "predicted" or foreshadowed previous to the injuries happening.

The Williams pick was nothing more than BPA. Injuries happen. Depth is good.

They took Bernard when people didn't see a path to the starting lineup for him.

They took Williams when people didn't see a path to the starting lineup for him.

They took Benford in the 6th round the same year they took Elam in the 1st round and people didn't see a path to the starting lineup for him.

They just take guys for depth knowing that depth may get tested.

:dunno:
Eh, sort of. They definitely took Bernard because they had poor depth. And picks are definitely for depth. But teams know more than they say. The Bills absolutely knew Shane Conlan's play style and medical situation when he played for the team. It was a huge concern for the team.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I am a bit worried about the D line. Theyre going to struggle mightily against Mahomes. Now that Milano is already out- I'm not thrilled with the defensive talent. McD should get the most out of them, but he can only do so much.

The LB core was supposed to be our strongest positional group on defense, and now even that looks dire. I have little faith in the Safeties. I do like our corners, but the D line is likely going to struggle with a 4 man rush.

It pains me that KC can build an elite defense that performs that way in the playoffs the season their offense looks human. It's wild how teams like the Pats and Chiefs can win championships when their QB isn't playing great. I attribute that to coaching, and while I like McD- he's not close to Reid. Then again, who is on his level? The Chiefs getting a generational talent at QB + the best coach in football may waste Buffalo's chance at a SB with an elite QB.

Sorry, all. Just had to vent a bit. This year is already shaping up to having a surplus of injuries on defense again.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I am a bit worried about the D line. Theyre going to struggle mightily against Mahomes. Now that Milano is already out- I'm not thrilled with the defensive talent. McD should get the most out of them, but he can only do so much.

The LB core was supposed to be our strongest positional group on defense, and now even that looks dire. I have little faith in the Safeties. I do like our corners, but the D line is likely going to struggle with a 4 man rush.

It pains me that KC can build an elite defense that performs that way in the playoffs the season their offense looks human. It's wild how teams like the Pats and Chiefs can win championships when their QB isn't playing great. I attribute that to coaching, and while I like McD- he's not close to Reid. Then again, who is on his level? The Chiefs getting a generational talent at QB + the best coach in football may waste Buffalo's chance at a SB with an elite QB.

Sorry, all. Just had to vent a bit. This year is already shaping up to having a surplus of injuries on defense again.

I don't love the defensive talent, either. Rousseau is really not the impact guy I was hoping he'd become and Epenesa needs to show that last year wasn't a fluke before I put more faith in him. The safeties look atrocious, too.

I keep telling myself that this was always going to be the year where we bit the bullet and let some holes develop so that we could spend on the second era of the Beane/Allen era in 2025 with money moving off the books. I'll be delighted if we just make the playoffs this year.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
LBs don't cost a ton. We have a surplus of picks for 2025. I'm fine spending a 4-5 on a guy if Dorian isn't looking the part these next few weeks.

PS I'm very, very bummed about Milano's injury. But in catharsis I've been laughing today imagining his torn biceps as an overuse injury from a summer of Jersey techno...

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

The D-line is actually the position on the defense that I'm least worried about. We know that Oliver and DaQuan work very, very well as a duo in the middle and I think that between Carter/Johnson/Williams our depth is far better inside than it was last year. At the end position, if Groot takes another step....we should be solid. It's being reported that Von looks as fast and explosive as ever, AJE is a known quantity and Solomon could bring some pass rushing chops.....and Smoot is solid. If Oliver/DaQuan/Groot/Von all stay healthy, I think we can get solid 4-man pressure.

At CB? Douglas is known for his high/low play -- as in, he plays great one week and then like ass another. We got mostly the good Douglas last year....is the bad one coming? Has Elam really stepped up that much? Do we trust Ingram/Lewis as CB4?

Safety is a CONCERN for me. Rapp wasn't good last year, and it's being reported that he's got the same issues this year as last. Unless Damar took some form of quantum leap, he's no more than a backup in the NFL. Edwards WAS a backup for KC until injuries forced him in. Bishop is likely the most talented back there, but can he make an impact...especially with missing a bunch of camp?

LB is less of a concern -- Bernard is solid as a starter. Between Morrow and Williams and maybe even Jones, I think we can piecemeal a decent enough replacement. Dodson was decent enough mostly, and Morrow is basically a carbon copy.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Simmons to the Falcons. Boo. 8 mill on a 1 year deal. Not sure the guaranteed money, but would've been nice to have a sure fire starter in the safety ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad