GDT: Training Camp discussion - Rifai and Murray on waivers -- Steeves clears

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
No, I didn't miss the attempted point. More just pointing out the poor choice of words. But if you want to believe that losing a 26 year old with 2 NHL games of experience is a material loss, that is your opinion. The team clearly disagrees with it.
I hope he catches on with another team, but they have enough LD right now.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Indeed.

Kampf or Jarnkrok are likely the guys to go, but I did half expect them to throw Liljegren on waivers today and still think they'll move him, unfortunately.
I think it's more likely to be Jarnkrok, he's always injured. I think Berube really likes Kamp's game and wants him on the team, yeah he's a little overpaid for the fourth line but every coach always plays him and likes him.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think it's more likely to be Jarnkrok, he's always injured. I think Berube really likes Kamp's game and wants him on the team, yeah he's a little overpaid for the fourth line but every coach always plays him and likes him.
Yeah, Kmapf's cap issue is magnified by the team's front heaviness. He is useful. Ideally, you'd have a guy around 1m-1.5m, but it is what it is.

I feel Kronk is a better player, and I would like more in return if he is moved. While he's not immediately as important for the team, with an injury or two, he becomes so.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Rifai is gonna be tough to lose if claimed but the term/lack of NHL time might mean he clears.
He'd be far less likely a risk to be claimed if he was on a one-way for this season, but that being the case beginning next season should still hopefully ward off that kind of interest from rival teams now.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If Robertson is sat off the opening night roster for a player like Patches or Jarnkrok after the camp he has had then it's clear the players play means nothing.

Apart from scoring goals in the pre season, Robertson was engaged all over the ice, back checked hard, stronger along the boards (one of his big weaknesses last season) and better in the d-zone.

I don't expect this to be a nightly thing, there's going to be games where he doesn't play good etc, BUT at least you know it's there for now.
I think it sends a terrible message if Robertson isn't in the starting lineup on Wed. I'd think that would be worse than not starting Spezza in his first game. Also, his family is flying in to watch him in that game

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think it sends a terrible message if Robertson isn't in the starting lineup on Wed. I'd think that would be worse than not starting Spezza in his first game. Also, his family is flying in to watch him in that game
He's playing Wednesday zero doubt.

Reactions: Buds17

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Let Nicky Robby play until he gives Chief a reason to sit him. Patches has a heck of a resume, but his value add to this team is cheap, veteran depth. The kind of you will be happy to have in January after a losing skid and some guys need maintenance days.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Reading some of the comments on here, you'd expect the Leafs to be a Lottery team... #positivenation
They should make the playoffs but after that they’re an unknown. There’s hope, but no one can assume they’ll be competitive. The core have never dictated who wins the series and rely on the opposition to determine the outcome.

If their stars get pushed out again they won’t win. It’s that simple.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Praying Rifai doesnt get claimed.

He's the exact type of player one of our rivals picks up and becomes a permanent player

Engvall is f***ing atrocious. I'd take a 1 legged Patches over him any day.

Cant believe that buttercup got a 8yr contract :laugh:
Rifai has three years at <1mil.
He can play on a 3rd pair.
Could be a smart claim for some team.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Let Nicky Robby play until he gives Chief a reason to sit him. Patches has a heck of a resume, but his value add to this team is cheap, veteran depth. The kind of you will be happy to have in January after a losing skid and some guys need maintenance days.
Nicky Robby....🙄

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Still trying to figure out why the Leafs brought Dewar in and re-signed him. I just don't see much in his game to keep him over some of the others.

Filler. Someone who can man the 4th liner in case of injuries not look out of place

He does kill penalties and decent skater

Reactions: Antropovsky

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This team needs a gritty two-way center for the 3rd or 4th line. If Lorentz could improve his face off game he could be that guy, but right now he's better as a LW who can sometimes take faceoffs.

Kampf isn't the right guy to play the way Berube wants his 4th line to play. If we could move Lijegren, Kampf, or Jarnkrok plus, for a Nic Dowd type of player that 4th line could create some havoc.

I have Bobby on the top line cause Matthews and Marner could insulate him defensively, not because he's better than Knies. Knies would be helpful with Tavares and Nylander because of his grit and defense. Domi on 3rd would be insulated by Patch and McMann defensively, plus he's a passer with two gritty shooters.

Robertson-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
Patches-Domi-McMann
Dewar-Lorentz-Reaves

Jarnkrok, Holmberg

Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
They should make the playoffs but after that they’re an unknown. There’s hope, but no one can assume they’ll be competitive. The core have never dictated who wins the series and rely on the opposition to determine the outcome.

If their stars get pushed out again they won’t win. It’s that simple.
Unknown? Until they show something different, we all know exactly what they are as a playoff team.

I for one, am ready for something different.

Altair

Dec 10, 2019
That 4th line. Many people are saying that it's the best 4th line. It's very popular more popular than anyone could ever imagine. They're big men, very strong men, very very rough men, there's never been anyone stronger. Oh and tough, so very tough. NHL tough and that's so awfully tough
why did I read that with Trumps voice in my head? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
This team needs a gritty two-way center for the 3rd or 4th line. If Lorentz could improve his face off game he could be that guy, but right now he's better as a LW who can sometimes take faceoffs.

Kampf isn't the right guy to play the way Berube wants his 4th line to play. If we could move Lijegren, Kampf, or Jarnkrok plus, for a Nic Dowd type of player that 4th line could create some havoc.

I have Bobby on the top line cause Matthews and Marner could insulate him defensively, not because he's better than Knies. Knies would be helpful with Tavares and Nylander because of his grit and defense. Domi on 3rd would be insulated by Patch and McMann defensively, plus he's a passer with two gritty shooters.

Robertson-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
Patches-Domi-McMann
Dewar-Lorentz-Reaves

Jarnkrok, Holmberg

Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz
You know errrthing about life and ice hockey sire. Our team is almost ready. We will get one more G in and that'll be that. We are fools for this game. The Pat Quinn era, is back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad