GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sounds like groups are already showing the NHL roster and likely cuts. Probably will still see a lot of Group B in remaining pre-season games though.

Steeves for me deserves to be in group 1 over Lorentz. Happy to see Rifai in group 1 right now too.

The only surprise is Rifai, it might just be a numbers thing, but I hope he is actually competing for a spot, he is super underrated.

I bet jarncrok or someone starts season on IR which takes cares of the cap crunch to fit everyone.

Dewar and Hakanpaa likely solve this.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I’m surprised that anyone is buying the North-south or east-west jargon. It’s obvious that Berube wants more shots on goal, more traffic in front and more rebound chances. The leafs have been guilty of overpassing the puck for years which is partly why they often fail to score in the playoffs.
I don't think it's jargon at all. It's kind of a round about way of saying he wants the team to play more direct. Less neutral zone regrouping, and less cute.

By saying north/south in hockey lingo it doesn't exactly mean a unidirectional brand of hockey. It just means less complicated. Pucks in behind the D, strong forecheck, strong puck pursuit, pucks and bodies on net.

Sheldon encouraged everyone of his players to exercise creative freedom with the puck and to hold possession whenever possible. Works great December-February when nobody gives a f*** to play a solid 200ft game, but come playoffs when the ice shrinks we consistently struggle to find our stride.

It will almost certainly be a simpler brand of hockey. One that will take some time for our skill guys to adjust to IMO. But it is the right way to play IMO

Reactions: Gary Nylund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I bet jarncrok or someone starts season on IR which takes cares of the cap crunch to fit everyone.

Yeah maybe. He'd need to be on LTIR though and it doesn't seem that serious.

They were both skating so don't think they are that far off. Hakanpaa in particular Berube said he was close but maybe close is relative to be able to join the main group for practice. LTIR needs to be used to get the cap relief. We'll see.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd hate to see him go but Timmins showed enough last night that he could have some value to another team.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The team saying that these guys are questionable for opening night, is not the same thing as the team saying they could miss the first 10 games AND 24 days of the regular season (both conditions need to be met for a player to go on LTIR).

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The team saying that these guys are questionable for opening night, is not the same thing as the team saying they could miss the first 10 games AND 24 days of the regular season (both conditions need to be met for a player to go on LTIR).

Didn't know they were questionable for opening night, my mistake, thought they were still a ways off.

The new solution is to just waive them (I know it won't happen).

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Maybe we'll see the rumoured trade that's been teased for 3 months... lol
Technically they don't have to trade anyone anymore to be cap compliant to start the season. 24 guys in the new Group 1 plus Hakanpaa and Dewar as recovering NHLers in Group 3 means they need to cut 3 guys just to get down to a 23-man roster.

Coincidentally, if the team signs both Lorentz and Pacioretty each at league minimum, and the 3 cuts are Reaves+Timmins+Dewar, they would start the season with anywhere from 5k to 235k in cap space. Reaves and Dewar aren't fully buriable, so if 1 or both of them got claimed (or the team trades them instead) that's how it could be more than 5k.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Sounds like Greb and Cowan won’t make the team

Rafai sticking around in the top group, could be a 7th D especially if Timmins is gone. I like his game

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
McDavid, Draisaitl & Henrique vs Matthews, Tavares & Holmberg or Domi as your top 3 C's. Leafs need a 2nd line C a star like a Nylander or Marner, Tavares then slots in as maybe the best 3C in the league. Matthews & Nylander as your top 2 C's is as close as your going to get vs McDavid & Draisaitl.

Just rambling here ...

There is some details for the McDavid - Draisaitl that should not be overlooked.

McDavid is a center, no doubt, but with more TOI/GP then Draisaitl how is it he has dramatically fewer face-offs taken? Is that because Draisaitl is the better center, McDavid is the better offensive player?

If you are always attacking, perhaps the defensive requirements are less important.

For the Leafs perhaps (in a tier lower) Nylander's center role should be about attacking. Sort of opposite the Oilers where McDavid is the top player, with Draisaitl being the 2nd. but actually #1 center role. Matthews #1 player and #1 center, Nylander could be challenged to be the 2nd. center in an all out offensive role.

Nylander would need wingers who are not one dimensional. McDavid, RNH and Hyman. Do Leafs have anything equivalent to RNH and Hyman?

Could Berube accept a McDavid's offensive first approach?

1727276603785.png

1727276687112.png

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Rafai sticking around in the top group, could be a 7th D especially if Timmins is gone. I like his game
Rafai and Myers are still in the conversation imo…….

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
McDavid is a center, no doubt, but with more TOI/GP then Draisaitl how is it he has dramatically fewer face-offs taken?
Because Draisaitl centers more often when they stack McDavid with him, and Draisaitl takes the faceoffs on the PP.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

I love Rifai too. Only wish he was RD instead of LD and he woud've been a perfect fit for the team moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad