Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 14 days) - Main Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 115 56.4%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mesar

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tuch

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
How do you balance giving the veterans time to find their game in training camp, with giving the rookies a genuine chance to displace them if they earn it?

If the kids continue out playing the bottom6 vets, at what point do you stop using the "veteran taking their time" argument?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Heineman will be in the NHL, likely as an extra forward. Kapanen might play wing to start the season if he makes it. Tuch is going to Laval.

Who is getting waived to make space for Heineman.

CC/Suzuki/Slaf
Newhook/Dach/Laine
Roy/Dvorak/Gallagher
Pezzetta/Evans/Anderson
Armia

Whatever the order, that's 13 forwards (with RHP on LTIR).

If we carry 7D, you only have 1 spot left (and only until RHP comes back).

Unless a trade/waive happen, only one of ABB, Farrell, Heineman or Kapanen can make the team. Even then, we would need to make a move within two months or waive someone when RHP comes back.

Heineman has a better chance whenever we deal Armia.

Last edited:

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
How do you balance giving the veterans time to find their game in training camp, with giving the rookies a genuine chance to displace them if they earn it?

If the kids continue out playing the bottom6 vets, at what point do you stop using the "veteran taking their time" argument?
I think they have to start cutting/sending people down asap. The types who have no real shot at the NHL team right now, the Farrells, Simoneaus, etc etc so they can clear some space for reps for other players.

I guess it is a “good” problem to have, but still a problem

Ps. I also would not mind at all if they shipped out Dvorak or Anderson for peanuts. But I should stop putting baileys in my coffee…

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This season has a weird vibe for me...I am barely into it, like I have seen so much mediocrity over the past several years that I can't get into it. Hopefully this year the team makes great progress.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think they have to start cutting/sending people down asap. The types who have no real shot at the NHL team right now, the Farrells, Simoneaus, etc etc so they can clear some space for reps for other players.

I guess it is a “good” problem to have, but still a problem

Ps. I also would not mind at all if they shipped out Dvorak or Anderson for peanuts. But I should stop putting baileys in my coffee…
The issue is that vets don't really like doing pre-season games, so teams have to load them with plugs most of the time because there are too many pre-season games (thanks to them generating $$$).

Reactions: Supersonic

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
We all saw new kids playing better than old vets. Many of us wants these kids take their place and waive this or this player, trade few of them if possible. Strategy : should we play vets to increase their trading value
or
we don't care what they bring in return, give all the room for the kids so they can creatre chemistry soon and building their learning with real nhl experience.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
This season has a weird vibe for me...I am barely into it, like I have seen so much mediocrity over the past several years that I can't get into it. Hopefully this year the team makes great progress.
we're still not making playoffs but just like last year you watch to see the youth and how much they improved

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

We have 4 more games.

I expect the AHLers out today or after tomorrow's game.

Cut all except those who push after Saturday.

Keep only the finalist(s) after Monday. Regular line-up on the 5th.

Reactions: Canadienna

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Unfortunately in a cap world contracts often speak louder than performance. We also have to remember that training camp is a very small sample size. It may help move players up or down the depth chart, but rarely will a strong training camp be enough for a rookie to displace an established vet with an NHL contract from a roster spot. Usually those vets would have to play themselves out of a roster spot (e.g. Alzner) or be moved first.

It really goes to show how much context factors in to roster decisions. Hypothetically, lets say we magically swap out a Filip Mesar for a 20 year old Brendan Gallagher. Does young Gally earn a spot at that age the same way he did for the '12-13 Habs? Back then we had holes on the roster to fill, and were looking to inject young players into the lineup. Now we have a group of young players established on the roster and more on the way, plus a glut at the RW position (Caufield, Laine, Anderson, Old Gally, and Armia). For some players in certain situations there are just no jobs available, no matter how well you play at camp.

That said, I do expect Beck and Kapanen to get very long looks and there might be room for them because of the situation with our current #3 and #4 C's being UFAs next year. However wingers like Heineman (or as in the hypothetical situation, young Gally) are destined to be victims of the numbers game.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Matheson has superior offensive instinct but has only shown us the sloppy part of his package, especially at the blue line on the PP. The #1PP role has to be in play especially with Hutson looking so sharp and spectacular.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Disagree with me if you want but camp this year doesn't seem like much of a competition for forwards. The entire bottom 6 is a lock , not sure where you guys are slotting kapanen or heineman or really anybody lol. Anderson Gallagher Dvo Armia and Evans are going to be playing , if anything its Roy who has the least amount of leeway which is pretty sad considering he's the only one in the bottom 6 with any sort of upside right now.

Man it would be fun to shoot at least 3 of the 5 vets out of a cannon and have the kids play

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad