GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'm not sure Nylander at center will work but I can see why they're trying it again. There's a much bigger need going forward than there was in the past.

JT gets a lot of flak, largely because of his contract, but he's performed quite well overall for the past 6 seasons. He's definitely aging and getting slower but would likely excel as a 3rd line C. Especially if they resign him (that's an entirely different discussion.)

If they can fill the 2C internally with Nylander that's huge. They can likely fill out his wingers with guys like McMann, Cowen, Robertson, etc over the next couple years. If they need to go the route of UFA they can probably find a top 6 winger easier than a 2C.

If it doesn't work they still have Nylander as one of the best wingers in the league.

It also seems like they're planning to extend Marner (again - different discussion,) so that would give them a 1/2C with a wicked shot and both will have a playmaking winger in Marner and Domi*. Toss in a couple heavy wingers with good hands like Knies and McMann and it could work. At least in the regular season.

*Chill, I'm not saying Domi is as good as Marner or could directly replace his production if Marner walks.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Berube was the only guy worth listening to. The rest was just the usual corporate speak by management and players. It's been the same message each year with a different lexicon.

I assume Berube will demand more and be less interested in being too chummy with media. The team will still fail unfortunately until the necessary cap space is opened and the right types brought in. I also would recommend he find at least one surprise training camp player that makes the team who wasn't expected to. Drive home the reality of a true meritocracy where those who deserve it get their chance.

Florida built a playoff only style team in short order. There is always some luck involved though such as the Bruins starting goalie going down and them coming back. If that doesn't happen, who knows what they do the next year.

Otherwise, I can't say I'm very interested. I may check the scoresheet every once in awhile but 2.5-3 hours of my time to waste is more valuable to me than false hope. There certainly should be many motivated players.

Reactions: weems and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Berube was the only guy worth listening to. The rest was just the usual corporate speak by management and players. It's been the same message each year with a different lexicon.

I assume Berube will demand more and be less interested in being too chummy with media. The team will still fail unfortunately until the necessary cap space is opened and the right types brought in. I also would recommend he find at least one surprise training camp player that makes the team who wasn't expected to. Drive home the reality of a true meritocracy where those who deserve it get their chance.

Florida built a playoff only style team in short order. There is always some luck involved though such as the Bruins starting goalie going down and them coming back. If that doesn't happen, who knows what they do the next year.

Otherwise, I can't say I'm very interested. I may check the scoresheet every once in awhile but 2.5-3 hours of my time to waste is more valuable to me than false hope. There certainly should be many motivated players.
I was disappointed Pelley didn’t show up yo remind Leafs Nation that the goal isn’t jersey sales even though that and season tickets are exactly what their goal is…….

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Haha this is a interesting thought and get the logic.

Cowan could be a good pick but more obvious because he's our top prospect.

Maybe Lorentz?

Reactions: rumman

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don’t mind trying Willy at centre again, we’ve given it small shots but not long ones, and it does take time to adjust. If it’s still not working ~15 games in, I’d stop, but it’s worth experimenting with for more than a game or 2 like past tries.

Don’t love Domi on his wing, though. Domi fits great with AM, and Marner is much better defensively, which Willy could use. Then give Willy/Mitch a big boy like McMann or Knies at LW.

With Willy at C, I like these lines:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Nylander - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Jarnkrok

Then a 4th line of Kampf and TBD wingers (2 of Patches, Holmberg, Cowan, Reavo, Dewar or Grebenkin, depending on camp performances).

Last edited:

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Lines make sense because someone has to face the McD and MacK of the league. That will be Matthews/Marner and they’ll be expected to win the matchup. You can’t line up Willy or JT (at center) against the leagues best.

Reactions: Buds17

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
We've tried this experiment with Nylander at centre before, and he is much more effective as a winger.

This feels like a waste of time.
Thing is, we haven't really tried it for a long enough period of time to confirm that's the case. Keefe clearly never actually wanted to do it, which is why he'd do it for a game or two in preseason, say "It's not working", and then would never try it again.

Reactions: supermann_98

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure Nylander at center will work but I can see why they're trying it again. There's a much bigger need going forward than there was in the past.

JT gets a lot of flak, largely because of his contract, but he's performed quite well overall for the past 6 seasons. He's definitely aging and getting slower but would likely excel as a 3rd line C. Especially if they resign him (that's an entirely different discussion.)

If they can fill the 2C internally with Nylander that's huge. They can likely fill out his wingers with guys like McMann, Cowen, Robertson, etc over the next couple years. If they need to go the route of UFA they can probably find a top 6 winger easier than a 2C.

If it doesn't work they still have Nylander as one of the best wingers in the league.

It also seems like they're planning to extend Marner (again - different discussion,) so that would give them a 1/2C with a wicked shot and both will have a playmaking winger in Marner and Domi*. Toss in a couple heavy wingers with good hands like Knies and McMann and it could work. At least in the regular season.

*Chill, I'm not saying Domi is as good as Marner or could directly replace his production if Marner walks.
Tavares' contract is going to either be gone or severly reduced this season, so this is a good time to try Nylander at center for a while. If it doesn't work, then you KNOW you need a 2nd line center in FA next year (or wait a year and see if you can poach McDavid the next year, but I wouldn't be banking solely on that).

Reactions: Jmo89

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Haha this is a interesting thought and get the logic.

Cowan could be a good pick but more obvious because he's our top prospect.

Maybe Lorentz?
Can’t wait to see how Berube deals with the stars mailing in a effort, happened way to often under Keefe……..

Tavares' contract is going to either be gone or severly reduced this season, so this is a good time to try Nylander at center for a while. If it doesn't work, then you KNOW you need a 2nd line center in FA next year (or wait a year and see if you can poach McDavid the next year, but I wouldn't be banking solely on that).
What pot of magic beans are you getting the capspace to sign McDavid?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Can’t wait to see how Berube deals with the stars mailing in a effort, happened way to often under Keefe……..

What pot of magic beans are you getting the capspace to sign McDavid?

I was at THIS game last year in person.

It was the single most embarrassing effort top to bottom that I've ever seen. If Berube can't get them to play an honest game, with regular and a consistently good effort, there is no hope for them.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

Before anyone assumes this means Berube wants the 3rd line to be a shutdown line, keep in mind while Tampa's identity line played that type of role, the Blues identity line being referenced was Tyler Bozak centering Pat Maroon and a rookie Robert Thomas.

Names like Knies, Domi, Cowan and McMann immediately come to mind for me.

With Nylander and Domi being linemates to start, plus this Berube quote I posted from before that I'm bumping, it's a pretty safe guess that Tavares will be centering the 3rd identity line. Still think the wingers on that line will be 2/3 of Knies/Cowan/McMann.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I was at THIS game last year in person.

It was the single most embarrassing effort top to bottom that I've ever seen. If Berube can't get them to play an honest game, with regular and a consistently good effort, there is no hope for them.

Those who think Lilly’s a top four D man need to watch this, ditto for thise who think Timmins is a NHL D man……..

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What's with the games on prime video? Anyone know if they will be on other channels as well?

They bought the rights to those games. This is what the NFL has been doing. It’s smart for the leagues they need the revenue. It’s an inconvenience for fans cause you gotta subscribe but if we want the cap to go up we need these types of deals

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
By what metric?

I threw out a random number, whatever 2nd line gets is the minimum they will get.

Is a single season a trend?
Watching him play is a very good way of seeing the decline, which is what I assume you mean.

I'm not sure why you used a random number when the real numbers are easily available, or why you think second and third lines get the same ice time.

For that matter, I don't know why, when I explicitly state multiple year stats, you ask "is a single season a trend".

But if you think the Nylander and Tavares lines will get equal time, that's your opinion and that's fine.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Those who think Lilly’s a top four D man need to watch this, ditto for thise who think Timmins is a NHL D man……..

Having been at that game, that's not the correct conclusion for that game. The game mostly got away from the Leafs due to Samsonov being terrible, and then no effort from anyone else. To peg it on two players otherwise, just isn't the correct characterization of that game.

Reactions: supermann_98

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We've tried this experiment with Nylander at centre before, and he is much more effective as a winger.

This feels like a waste of time.

That’s not really true.
Him being more effective as a winger may still yet be true however. Now we actually get to find out.

Reactions: horner

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Having been at that game, that's not the correct conclusion for that game. The game mostly got away from the Leafs due to Samsonov being terrible, and then no effort from anyone else. To peg it on two players otherwise, just isn't the correct characterization of that game.
True that, and the supporting cast aren’t who I was referring to mail it in…….

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think Woll is the key breakout guy. We need stability in net. If Woll turns out to be a legit starter, it could be a game changer.
Agreed, more important to the team too. I think he showed injury aside he's a starter, Knies for me has only scratched the surface of what's he capable of.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad