GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Any word on what the top line is running? Still Marner with Matthews?
I doubt they put Marner with Nylander so probably a top line of Knies - Matthews - Marner. I guess in theory they could put McMann or Jarnkrok with Knies and Matthews but I don't see it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Domi with Nylander is interesting. I would have personally put Domi with Matthews given how well it worked, Marner with Tavares and built a line around Nylander as well. But, I'm not a NHL coach, just an armchair GM.

So what's this going to look like?

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann/Jarnkrok Nylander Domi
McMann/Patches Tavares Robertson/Cowan
Patches Kampf Holmberg

Even with Dewar out... it seems like we have just too many bodies. Someone is likely to be claimed off of waivers, or traded. Then add in Grebenkin, as someone who could steal a spot. It's going to be an interesting camp and preseason.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I doubt they put Marner with Nylander so probably a top line of Knies - Matthews - Marner. I guess in theory they could put McMann or Jarnkrok with Knies and Matthews but I don't see it.
So wondering if we see something like this

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi nylander jankrok
Robertson/patches tavares McCann

Looks like one winger is going to play there offside.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
So wondering if we see something like this

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi nylander jankrok
Robertson/patches tavares McCann

Looks like one winger is going to play there offside.
Yeah I could see something along these lines. I do think we need to make a trade though as I can't imagine that they sign Patches to play on the fourth line and putting Robertson there is just going to result in another trade request.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The other winger on the Nylander-Domi line is probably going to be a "3rd C." Leafs are probably going to insulate Nylander with Domi and another guy with past experience playing C to help with defensive responsibilities. Guys like Cowan/Jarnkrok/Holmberg immediately come to mind.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We've tried this experiment with Nylander at centre before, and he is much more effective as a winger.

This feels like a waste of time.
He's been tried there for a couple of games in preseason and as an emergency fill in.

Berube says he wants to give him a real shot there.

Considering that JT is probably better used at 3C at this point, and we really don't have much in the way of better choices right now, it makes perfect sense.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's been tried there for a couple of games in preseason and as an emergency fill in.

Berube says he wants to give him a real shot there.

Considering that JT is probably better used at 3C at this point, and we really don't have much in the way of better choices right now, it makes perfect sense.

People keep saying Tavares should be a 3C... does anyone know what the average 3C is? He's a 2C at worst.

Regardless, whoever is "3C" is still getting 18+ minutes a night.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Domi was brought back to play with Matthews.

Berube himself said in his presser today Domi is playing with Nylander. I’m sure they might adjust as the year goes on. But I think we see the Knies, Matthews, Marner line back together. But honestly I rather see Marner and Nylander together that line has potential to be unreal and domi back with Matthews.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Having a defensively dubious winger like domi playing with a defensively dubious winger playing center in willy... eek
exactly. Not to mention Domi already has experience at C and is the better passer. Lines would make more sense with Willy centering Mitch who can actually play some defense and put Domi back with Austin where they looked like PB&J together.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The other winger on the Nylander-Domi line is probably going to be a "3rd C." Leafs are probably going to insulate Nylander with Domi and another guy with past experience playing C to help with defensive responsibilities. Guys like Cowan/Jarnkrok/Holmberg immediately come to mind.
Yea holmberg and especially jarnkrok jumped to mind when I saw domi with nylander

Honestly I thought we weren’t gonna go back to Matthews and Marner so I was hoping for a nylander Marner combo as that would dramatically increase the chances of this nylander at c thing succeeding imo. He gets a great defensive player on his line to help him out and he gets a superb player maker.

Going one step further I thought holmberg would be perfect with those two cuz if the nylander at Center fails, you could move holmberg to center and keep nylander on the wing and that would give you a really good line imo with the two 11m dollar wingers hopefully carrying holmberg to 40ish points.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
People keep saying Tavares should be a 3C... does anyone know what the average 3C is? He's a 2C at worst.

He was a 2C at best last year, and I expect his decline over the last couple of seasons to continue.

He's averaged under 18 minutes per game each of the last two seasons, while Nylander's ice time has gone up each of the last three, to almost 20 minutes last year.

I expect both trends to continue rather than reverse.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
WOW

— Knies 227 lbs, +10
— Benoit 211 lbs, +6
— Liljegren 201 lbs, +11
— Holmberg 201 lbs, +13
— Dewar 192 lbs, +16
— McMann 215 lbs, +5
so Dewar put on 16lbs after shoulder surgery, either he's sporting tree truck thighs or he's added upper body fat..........

having JT playing 3rd line minute might be about him not being soap come playoff time...........

Reactions: Jmo89

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He was a 2C at best last year, and I expect his decline over the last couple of seasons to continue.

By what metric?

He's averaged under 18 minutes per game each of the last two seasons, while Nylander's ice time has gone up each of the last three, to almost 20 minutes last year.

I threw out a random number, whatever 2nd line gets is the minimum they will get.

I expect both trends to continue rather than reverse.

Is a single season a trend?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad