GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dont all players playing with Mathews benefit? Domi sure did.......did he not?

Im not sure if this was a dig on Marner. He produced also with Taveres didnt he?

Does Knies benefit from playing with Mathews?
Playing with the top goal score in the league is a net positive for a playmaker. What a revelation. Also true, every line Marner goes to produces, it’s a symbiotic relationship.

As an aside, I’m not sold on Nylander and Domi as a duo, but will keep an open mind. Mom the surface I see “hemmed in our end” a lot.

Reactions: Da Mash

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

But if the goal is for Cowan to flush the junior out of his game, what benefit is there in returning him to junior hockey this season?

Why not give him time to develop, bet on his upside and begin his progression toward a lengthy NHL career instead of bringing back Connor Dewar-types? Dewar will not begin training camp after offseason shoulder season.

Nick Robertson scored 14 goals last season in 56 games. The determined left winger will need to show he can round out his game and be trusted this season, should he earn a spot out of camp.

Still, his best quality is his shot and scoring ability. That’s what the Leafs like about him. So why add Max Pacioretty to ostensibly do what Robertson already does? Pacioretty scored just four goals in 47 games last season and is coming off two recent Achilles injuries.

Timothy Liljegren continued to develop and showed game-breaking flashes last season. He is Toronto’s youngest defenceman at 25 yet it still seems like the role of a top four right-shot defenceman he deserves is still up for debate internally.

Why was the right side of the blue line bolstered with Jani Hakanpaa, whose recent knee injury will see him start training camp in a development group? Yes, Liljegren and Hakanpaa are completely different players with completely different styles. Yet it still seems like Liljegren is constantly having to prove himself within an organization that has sunk endless time and resources into his development.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
A couple of observations.

Hakanpaa in Group 3... basically the group that has no chance of making the Leafs. He's the only one on there, which means??? Maybe he's not ready yet, or still hurt or.....

Patches #67 Interesting choice, though it is his normal number.
Beurbue taled about this yesterday during the media. He willl start in group 3 to see where he’s at with his health. Then will he moved to group 2 or 1.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Just above you was posted..

Nick Robertson is starting Leafs camp on a line with John Tavares and Bobby McMann.

Why?
there is no defensive ability whatsoever on that line, they will likely be hemmed in their own zone a lot

When we ran Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander last year the process wasn't pretty and they eventually scrapped the line. I don't see much changing with Berutzzi being subbed for an inferior player + the center switch

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
there is no defensive ability whatsoever on that line, they will likely be hemmed in their own zone a lot

When we ran Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander last year the process wasn't pretty and they eventually scrapped the line. I don't see much changing with Berutzzi being subbed for an inferior player + the center switch
Fair comments.

The best line was Bert Matthews Domi.... I would have thought we could have started with that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A couple of observations.

Hakanpaa in Group 3... basically the group that has no chance of making the Leafs. He's the only one on there, which means??? Maybe he's not ready yet, or still hurt or.....

Patches #67 Interesting choice, though it is his normal number.

Berube's first piece of information at yesterdays presser was that there would be 3 groups. Group C is the development group and Hakanpaa would be in that group to rehab and continue progressing.

Reactions: Fogelhund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I misread that it was about JT/McMann.

I think the idea is that they will handle puck possession to high a level and outbalance the need to defend with having the puck. I think Pacioretty was always very good 2-way but obviously injuries/regression likely makes him a big question mark.

This is training camp though so there will be some changes through the start and over the season. People take these initial lines way too seriously and set in stone. It will likely change a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Some of that defensive ability is going to have to come from Nylander.
The reality is that the center position demands alot more out of a player than wing. You have to now take faceoffs, sometimes in the defensive zone and are asked to take on a bigger responsibility defensively in your own zone.

Nylander can no doubt stick at the center position if all someone is basing it around is his offensive abilities. It will be how much he can show in the all around abilities of a Center department that will determine if the project works or not.

As of right now we know he's not a extremely strong defensive player when playing wing but Center is a totally different position and if he wants to make it work, he's going to need to up the intensity level and focus because the position demands it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad