training camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Most likely the opening night roster.

I would be surprised if we only carried 22 guys (12F, 8D, 2G). We have the cap space to roster 23 and I can't imagine that we would put an extra guy on waivers just to bank some extra cap space. If we assume that is the opening night lineup for the forward group, I would still wager that we have a forward in the press box.

I'm still not sold that Sunny can play center in the NHL once everything is ramped up to full speed. I'm also not sold that he can play 82 games and I don't at all like the thought of losing Alexandrov to waivers and then being even thinner at C when injuries inevitably hit. I'd rather see him sit in the press box and fight to earn a lineup spot than be put on waivers. And I have zero qualms waiving MacMac or Walker.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I was pretty close.

Having Thomas as the primary one-timer option on the PP is not a strategy that I expect to work all that well. To me, that looks like a fairly easy/predictable PP to defend against so long as you don't chase.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would be surprised if we only carried 22 guys (12F, 8D, 2G). We have the cap space to roster 23 and I can't imagine that we would put an extra guy on waivers just to bank some extra cap space. If we assume that is the opening night lineup for the forward group, I would still wager that we have a forward in the press box.

I'm still not sold that Sunny can play center in the NHL once everything is ramped up to full speed. I'm also not sold that he can play 82 games and I don't at all like the thought of losing Alexandrov to waivers and then being even thinner at C when injuries inevitably hit. I'd rather see him sit in the press box and fight to earn a lineup spot than be put on waivers. And I have zero qualms waiving MacMac or Walker.
Oh I'm expecting us to carry another forward. I was more taking about the 12f and 6d playing opening night

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

this is the time of year where nearly everyone clears. i would be fairly shocked if alexandrov is claimed.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Or just have Sunny and Alexandrov each take draws only on their strong side. Sunny is a righty and Alexandrov is a lefty.

I’m just making up numbers here but let’s say each is around 50% when trying to win it straight back on their backhand and 30% going the other way, for an average of about 40% overall. If they each only take faceoffs on their strong side, the line as a whole should be closer to 50% on faceoffs. Who actually plays C from a defensive coverage perspective doesn’t necessarily have to be the guy that takes the faceoff.
that's a decent mitigation plan, but i am not sure how often they will accompany each other in the line up. i view them as competing for the same line up spot most nights.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
that's a decent mitigation plan, but i am not sure how often they will accompany each other in the line up. i view them as competing for the same line up spot most nights.
True. If the Blues go with a 4th line that includes Neighbours and Toro like the lines they have today, both of those guys are pure wingers so Sunny would be taking all of the draws for that line.

But just saying it’s an option they have at their disposal.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Holy strawman. Where are these people calling him a top 6 lock? I don't recall anyone saying that. My recollection is that a small number of people pegged him with top 6 upside that they thought he had a good chance to reach, but I don't recall anyone saying it was a lock. I haven't seen anyone calling him a top 6 lock this summer. Meanwhile, you are making definitive statements that his 'best case upside' is a guy who didn't get meaningful NHL time until his D+5 season, cleared waivers at the start of his D+6 season and then eventually landed a 4th line role after spending some time on a new organization's AHL team.

Surely you understand that there is a gigantic gap of potential outcomes for Neighbours between "best-case upside of Klim Kostin" and "top 6 lock." There is almost an entire NHL-roster's worth of roles/outcomes between those two things. Klim Kostin has 32 points in 103 career NHL games with a career-high of 21 points (in 57 games) that was achieved on the back of a 19.6% shooting percentage. His career ATOI is under 10 minutes a night and he averaged just 10:04 in Edmonton. They played him 9:33 a night in the 28 games following his 22 game heater that saw him shoot 39% and pump home 9 goals. They didn't qualify him (reportedly worried about what his 21 point season could net him in arbitration).

No one is calling him a top 6 lock while you are saying that his best-case scenario is that of an NHL/AHL tweener or 4th liner. By far the most prevalent opinion on him around here is that he could develop into a middle 6 guy. If you go back and look through the 'rank our prospects' threads you will see that the Neighbours supporters were basically all some variation of 'high floor, low ceiling with a best-case scenario being either 3rd or 2nd line.' It's 100% on you if you interpret that as people calling him a top 6 lock.

The 4 players you mentioned accumulated a combined 6 NHL games by the conclusion of their D+3 seasons. Neighbours got a 9 game tryout in his D+2 season and played 40 NHL games in his D+3 season. When he was sent to the AHL for 23 games, he scored at a higher point pace than any of the 3 guys you listed who played in the AHL during their D+3 season. Which of them had a great D+3 season?

Nothing really to add other than the guys on the team seem to really like Neighbors and in comparison no one seemed to really give a shit about the other 3. That goes a long way towards guys spending their time helping you develop and work on skill set in their free time.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
True. If the Blues go with a 4th line that includes Neighbours and Toro like the lines they have today, both of those guys are pure wingers so Sunny would be taking all of the draws for that line.

But just saying it’s an option they have at their disposal.
too bad that neither torpo or neighbours has shown faceoff proficiency, because walker isn't someone who should be in the lineup regularly.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Complete f***ing joke they aren't broadcasting any live video of the game tonight.

Reactions: Mike Liut

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Complete f***ing joke they aren't broadcasting any live video of the game tonight.
I can watch all the City 2 MLS next pro games with my MLS sub yet the supposed bigger league can't get shit together for this. It really is a joke in this day and age.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
it's after 9/30, is BSMW even still around? and are they allowed to broadcast without figuring that out?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I just saw on the Blues app that we were 4/26 on the dot (15%) with about 12 minutes left in the 2nd. If that is true, they really need to clean that up.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Neighbours makes it 4-0 with a PP goal.
And we're still on the PP.

4-0 final
Biggest stat of the night: Binny with the shutout.

Reactions: BlueOil

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
seems like they played classic blues hockey tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad