training camp 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
What if we hit the jackpot with Vrana? We could use some luck for a change

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If the cap is going up, I’m starting to think we should extend Buch and Vrana when the time is right. obviously it’s not now.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Also. I think I'm gonna love having a center on the 2nd PP that can make a pass again. Hayes was a nice addition along the wall on the PP. Especially with how the 2nd PP played last year, which was more of a unskilled brute force attack that was extremely easy to negate.

Kyrou-Thomas-Schenn-Buch-Krug
Vrana-Hayes-Saad-Faulk-Peru (you can flip Peru with a Forward)

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Apparently Perunovich was good.

I didn't actually watch the game so really have nothing of value to add, but hey, Perunovich was our only plus player tonight.

Also wasn't the best result for any hope Faulk+Krug plays like they did together two years ago. But it's only preseason.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
U shouldn’t
It’s a legit concern IMO. He’s slowing down with injuries and he hasn’t played C since he left STL. Over the 2 years since he left, he’s taken 134 faceoffs in 75 games. He’s won 41 of them. He’s almost exclusively played wing and the few times he has played C, he’s getting caved in at the faceoff circle. That’s not a recipe for success.

I love Sunny but I think we have to admit he’s quite the downgrade from Acciari.

If he was lining up at 4RW instead of 4C, I’d like it much better. But that’d require Alexandrov to be a viable 4C (I don’t think he is quite yet) or someone else to magically appear to play 4C.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s a legit concern IMO. He’s slowing down with injuries and he hasn’t played C since he left STL. Over the 2 years since he left, he’s taken 134 faceoffs in 75 games. He’s won 41 of them. He’s almost exclusively played wing and the few times he has played C, he’s getting caved in at the faceoff circle. That’s not a recipe for success.

I love Sunny but I think we have to admit he’s quite the downgrade from Acciari.

If he was lining up at 4RW instead of 4C, I’d like it much better. But that’d require Alexandrov to be a viable 4C (I don’t think he is quite yet) or someone else to magically appear to play 4C.
It will be interesting to see what they do and if they find a way to keep Nathan Walker on the roster. He showed last year he can at least win faceoffs and as you said, we may need that. I just don’t know how he stays if we keep 8 d-men.

Alexandrov is probably among my most disappointing players so far.

I feel like it may be another year of revolving doors on the 4th line, which is already tiring.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It will be interesting to see what they do and if they find a way to keep Nathan Walker on the roster. He showed last year he can at least win faceoffs and as you said, we may need that. I just don’t know how he stays if we keep 8 d-men.

I feel like it may be another year of revolving doors on the 4th line, which is already tiring.
Dean looks to maybe be the answer there.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I have to agree with Kimzey on Hayes. That may have stood out to me the most. Krug played well and looked good on the power play. Faulk had a bad hop night. Pretty vanilla from the forward group. I think Perunovich looks like someone you play when you aren’t very good. Looks great with the puck. Terrible without it. Maybe a high pick at the trade deadline for a power play? I would take it and run.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Have someone else take draws then. But his brand of center is still fine in a 4th line role. He’s too smart and sound positionally to be in the press box, plays to the identity we want and is still heavy on the puck in all three zones. He goes to the hard areas and Is great on the PK.

Playing Dean in that role would be counter productive right now. Play him top line minutes in the A. He’s looked pretty good so far, but his pro details still need work and maturity. No reason to rush him into an 8-12 min a night role. If he’s ready in January and we have injuries or make trades, sure call him up. But no reason rn unless he’s gonna play a top 9 role

Reactions: stl76

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Both Alexandrov and Neighbours have been very disappointing. Haven't seen either doing much to separate themselves from the pack when it's time for both to really step up and start making an impact.

Reactions: BlueDream

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Both Alexandrov and Neighbours have been very disappointing. Haven't seen either doing much to separate themselves from the pack when it's time for both to really step up and start making an impact.
Agreed, was hoping for a little more out of neighbours, not sure Alexandrov hit the gym this summer lol.

I still like neighbours foundation even if he starts as a 4th liner. I think patience and experience is what he needs to become what he can

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Agreed, was hoping for a little more out of neighbours, not sure Alexandrov hit the gym this summer lol.

I still like neighbours foundation even if he starts as a 4th liner. I think patience and experience is what he needs to become what he can
On the plus side, I've been very impressed with Bolduc the last couple of games and think he has an outside chance to break camp with the team. He appears to be more deserving of a spot in our top 9 right now over Neighbours though the numbers game might make it a better bet to have Bolduc start the season with Springfield regardless.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
On the plus side, I've been very impressed with Bolduc the last couple of games and think he has an outside chance to break camp with the team. He appears to be more deserving of a spot in our top 9 right now over Neighbours though the numbers game might make it a better bet to have Bolduc start the season with Springfield regardless.
Sammy Blais absolutely should be the last Top 9 spot. He's always been my front runner, not Neighbours. Blais can play a 4th line game but he has scoring ability as well.

Bolduc will start in AHL and be an early callup for injury in top 9 if he plays well in sprindfield.

Neighbours should be fighting for a 4th line spot right now. I'd send him down based on what I've seen but he'll be probably be on the 2nd line and 2nd PP stapled to Schenn because we give him every chance to succeed.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Have someone else take draws then. But his brand of center is still fine in a 4th line role. He’s too smart and sound positionally to be in the press box, plays to the identity we want and is still heavy on the puck in all three zones. He goes to the hard areas and Is great on the PK.

Playing Dean in that role would be counter productive right now. Play him top line minutes in the A. He’s looked pretty good so far, but his pro details still need work and maturity. No reason to rush him into an 8-12 min a night role. If he’s ready in January and we have injuries or make trades, sure call him up. But no reason rn unless he’s gonna play a top 9 role
Ok, like who? You act like we have a winger that can step in and win faceoffs easily. We don’t.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think I really want Vrana with Hayes and Blais. And Schenn with Saad and Kapanen. If we are aiming to play players with players that compliment their strengths. I know it's very unlikely, but, i think I would prefer Neighbors down getting top line minutes with Bolduc and Dean in the AHL and run Toropchenko, Alexandrov, and Sunny on the 4th line. Neighbours will get his chance later in the season when a player gets injured.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think I really want Vrana with Hayes and Blais. And Schenn with Saad and Kapanen. If we are aiming to play players with players that compliment their strengths. I know it's very unlikely, but, i think I would prefer Neighbors down getting top line minutes with Bolduc and Dean in the AHL and run Toropchenko, Alexandrov, and Sunny on the 4th line. Neighbours will get his chance later in the season when a player gets injured.

Who are you putting with Thomas and JK? I am not advocating one way or another, but jus wondering.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ok, like who? You act like we have a winger that can step in and win faceoffs easily. We don’t.
Small sample size and preseason, so take with the usual measure of salt. But Sunny has better face-off numbers than our top 8 Cs, Thomas, Schenn and Hayes. He is 1 shy of break even with 33 FOs taken. Maybe we are overflowing hiw bad he is at faceoffs?

*edit* Another caveat, stats are only for some games because modern technology doesn't allow box scores if the game isn't streamed for some reason I can't fathom.

Who are you putting with Thomas and JK? I am not advocating one way or another, but jus wondering.
Buchnevuch has been stapled there all pre-season. Gives a defensive presence to help cover Kyrou and all 3 are legit 1st liners. 2nd line has Saad to help cover Vrana. 3rd line has...well crap. Ok, we only have 2 good defensive forwards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad