Training Camp 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Tortorella transforming himself into a developmental guru is as phony as it gets, but bless the hearts of the people eat it up. What are these "bad spots" for young players? They already aren't playing them on the 4th line (not that I think that's a bad spot). Then, we have sample sizes as arbitrary as 5-6 games before the revolving door comes into play. Guys like Tippett and Frost took 100 games to finally assert themselves at this level (with varying degrees of BS to deal with). They have no definition of what "hurting the kids" means. It sounds more like "hurting the team," which will be based on the advice of Tortorella's stomach acids on any given day.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Tortorella transforming himself into a developmental guru is as phony as it gets, but bless the hearts of the people eat it up. What are these "bad spots" for young players? They already aren't playing them on the 4th line (not that I think that's a bad spot). Then, we have sample sizes as arbitrary as 5-6 games before the revolving door comes into play. Guys like Tippett and Frost took 100 games to finally assert themselves at this level (with varying degrees of BS to deal with). They have no definition of what "hurting the kids" means. It'll be based on Tortorella's stomach acids that day.

To pile on, the worst part is that I'm sure they all agree (Danny B, POHO etc.), and are patting themselves on the back as if this is any different of a process. This is not a difference in how they have developed in the past, it's just now they have a 5-6 younger players in the lineup instead of 1-2.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This looks like they're still looking at players and roles.
Don't have to make a decision until Monday.
Suspect Briere is keeping his phone close by. Allison and Laughton may have a market.

A lot of teams are close to the cap, and might want to work with a team that can absorb a million or two.
Seems about right.

Waive Allison
Don't trade Laughton, when rebuilding

Flyers extracting value at it's best. What a new era!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You'd imagine Brink and Foerster both made the team then...unless I'm missing something.
Yeah, I don't think Allison being odd man out as a regular is too surprising, but him not being one of the two extras seems dumb. No one outside of Zamula (who should be a regular) really should be prioritized as an extra. If it's Sandstrom, their hesitancy to waive him at this point is just weird. Teams just don't really have room to make goalie claims. Meanwhile Allison is the only waiver guy Friedman has mentioned by name so pretty decent chance a "rebuilding" team is going to lose a young(ish), cost controlled skater for nothing.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Its really astonishing how little things change. Losing a decent on waivers and keeping a handful of young players just to say "look see kids made the team!" only to barely play them and send them down eventually...same thing happened under hextall/hak and under fletcher.

Andrea and Zamula both wont play game 1 along with one Brink or Foerster and theyll lose Allison. Just trash asset management and development.

Deslauries should never be chosen over allison.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I don't think Allison being odd man out as a regular is too surprising, but him not being one of the two extras seems dumb. No one outside of Zamula (who should be a regular) really should be prioritized as an extra. If it's Sandstrom, their hesitancy to waive him at this point is just weird. Teams just don't really have room to make goalie claims. Meanwhile Allison is the only waiver guy Friedman has mentioned by name so pretty decent chance a "rebuilding" team is going to lose a young(ish), cost controlled skater for nothing.
Except the report hasn't come out yet.
Maybe it's nothing, maybe they know something they can't reveal.

I'd also point out that Nicky D looked better than Allison in preseason. And has three years left on his contract and a NTC this season, so they're kinda stuck with him right now.

It's not like Allison is a prospect anymore, Matt Brown is 2 years younger and had as good of a college career. At some point you're an AHL plus guy. He's better than Marody, about equal with Laczynski. But it looks like the league sees him as a notch below MacEwen.

Does anyone miss Willman?

Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Pleasantly surprised at how much youth made the team despite the fact we waived the wrong player. I have a feeling d-lo goal saved his job

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Or they just want to wait to waive Sandstrom in hopes that he clears
If that is the case, it makes sense to waive him the same day as the Leafs waiving Jones.

SPEAKING of Leafs, looks like they could be keeping up 19 year old 2nd rounder from 2022 Minten. Mike Johnson just said "it's what you want from your kids, pushing vets out of your lineup"

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Brink and Foerster need to play. Yo yoing them around is setting them up for failure. You cant throw a player into a few games and make decisions on their future based on such a small sample size. Frost is a great example...they finally gave him a full season and he struggled early but then found his rythmn. They need to give these young guys a full season.

This is all bc od Nick Deslauries. But we are told "these depth signings dont matter!".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad