Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There we go. You are complaining about things that haven't happened yet. That's pretty negative, no?

You are not basing it on anything just wanting to negative. When I recapped what he has done this off-season you didn't have one specific move you found fault with.

When a move is made that you don't like, feel free to let us know about it. Being upset about what you think will likely happen is not really adding anything to the discussion around here.

...again, I am not even a Treliving supporter, but I am happy with this off-season and am prepared to see how it all plays out.
Signed Styles mid season to a rediculous contract after which he coasted the rest of the season, or did that not happen?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Signed Styles mid season to a rediculous contract after which he coasted the rest of the season, or did that not happen?
Ok. He slowed down, still has a career year and delivered in the playoffs (when healthy).

You think he should have let Willy walk? Ok. I don't agree. I think that contract will age well here...again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This whole thread is irrelevant when it comes to the current iteration of the Leafs. The only trades they will make are draft pick deadline deals that involve no risk (unless you consider losing second, third and fourth round picks risky). I have absolutely no doubt that Brad has been given his marching orders, and risk or change to high-profile players are not part of those orders.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ok. He slowed down, still has a career year and delivered in the playoffs (when healthy).

You think he should have let Willy walk? Ok. I don't agree. I think that contract ahead well here...again.
If Tre waited he would have gotten Styles cheaper, snd he wouldn’t have let his foot off the gas for the remainder of the season……..

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm so exhausted from hearing that nobody is available and trades are too hard and the most expensive front office in the NHL isn't capable of making 1 change of significance in 10 years.

31 other teams and not one deal is available. Nothing can be done other than resigning the same 5 players who reward us with nothing but heartbreak.

Stamkos puts up nothing but numbers but committed the crime of turning 34 and Sergy wasn't showing excellence so the team changed it up.

Florida came 1st and blew up the team because they lost too early then won a cup

This sorry lot has broke my heart enough. I'd take anything other than this continued outcome with the same faces

Tampa moved from Stamkos but not see result of it.

They traded mcdonaugh couple of yewrs ago to keep sergachev and they realise they keed the wrong guy so like making trade doesn'tmean its the right thing to do or you will move the right player

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If Tre waited he would have gotten Styles cheaper, snd he wouldn’t have let his foot off the gas for the remainder of the season……..

Ok, maybe. How exactly are we getting him cheaper if he doesn't slow doesn't slow down?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No other team is offering the deal Tre gave him, so he signs here for less, and if not you move on from him………
So if Willie didn't slow down and will most likely get over 100 points and lets say the playoffs results is exactly the same, which is Willie scoring the last THREE goals of the series and accounted for 3 of the 12 goals scored, thats 25% of Leafs goals.

Then you let him walk to Free agency. While the other 10mil plus players scored the same number of playoffs goals as Willie gets to renew their contract and stay with the Leafs.

Just want to see if I get this right.

Reactions: Chindis

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Sharks get Askarov.
Might be a big fit, there.
Apparently Montreal and jersey were in it til the end.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
So if Willie didn't slow down and will most likely get over 100 points and lets say the playoffs results is exactly the same, which is Willie scoring the last THREE goals of the series and accounted for 3 of the 12 goals scored, thats 25% of Leafs goals.

Then you let him walk to Free agency. While the other 10mil plus players scored the same number of playoffs goals as Willie gets to renew their contract and stay with the Leafs.

Wrong. What you and conFABulator should do is not just consider what HAS been done a few months ago but rather what SHOULD have been done years ago. Had these issues been dealt with when they first arose these issues would not have been plaguing the team ever since and likely in the future. ie. high salaries, NMCs, too much $$$ on core forwards, lack of attention to defensive assignments, not playing playoff-style physical hockey, etc. At least poor coaching has been addressed recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wrong. What you and conFABulator should do is not just consider what HAS been done a few months ago but rather what SHOULD have been done years ago. Had these issues been dealt with when they first arose these issues would not have been plaguing the team ever since and likely in the future. ie. high salaries, NMCs, too much $$$ on core forwards, lack of attention to defensive assignments, not playing playoff-style physical hockey, etc. At least poor coaching has been addressed recently.
I agree with you.

The MGT betted and thought these horses can win but turns out they are all Beta Chokers instead of True Alphas.

Sharks get Askarov.
Might be a big fit, there.
Apparently Montreal and jersey were in it til the end.
Didn't NJ just traded for Marky?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Askarov…….
"Well, we don't have a reliable goalie option. Let's give up assets for a guy with two whole NHL starts! That'll fix our goaltending problem!"
Right now, Askarov has one thing going for him; he has great AHL numbers. So did Garrett Sparks, and man did you guys go NUTS when the Leafs decided to go with him as a backup...

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

Personally, I would have traded him the year they signed Tavares, the second this whole contract thing started. He doesn't hold out for half the season and show up playing at half his potential, the Leafs show that they aren't going to cater to whatever the players demand, and their salary is not out of control.
But really, Tre should have traded Nylander before his NMC kicked in. He's a luxury, and now he's an insanely expensive luxury. And now the Leafs are starting at the exact situation I was afraid they'd end up in when this whole shit started; the very real possibility they're rebuilding in four years with a 35+ $11 million Nylander and NOTHING ELSE. Remember the end of the Sundin years? Picture that, only with a worse player overall.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I agree with you.

The MGT betted and thought these horses can win but turns out they are all Beta Chokers instead of True Alphas.

Didn't NJ just traded for Marky?
They did indeed. I was a lil surprised too, but he won’t be around for ever, so it makes sense. Woulda been a lot of assets out on goalies though.
I’ll be following him in San Jose, he’s athletic and has a lot of personality.
Return was solid, Edstrom , G Chrona and a first for Ask and a 3rd. Interesting: Edstrom and the first both came from Vegas.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Askarov…….

Give him time, he’s going to prove your trust was a mistake………

Askarov, a guy who certainly has pedigree, but isn’t consider good enough for Nashville to have him in the NHL.

Askarov, a guy whose AHL numbers are inferior to our own Hildeby.

Askarov likely hits his potential in 3-4 seasons… we need to compete NOW. Surely that shouldn’t be a mystery.

I would have loved to add him… but he essentially cost two first round picks. That’s a no from me.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Amazing move by the Sharks landing Askarov.
I don't understand from Nashville side , I don't see the point in taking a goalie in 2020 at 11 overall, and then developing him for 4 years just to trade him for a prospect and a late first.

Just such a waste of time and good draft positioning.

Reactions: ACC1224

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Why should I be considering what should have been done years again in the context of a discussion of a guy who has been here a few months (14, Treliving)?

Wouldn't you say that not extending JT and MM, removing her C from JT, not trading important assets at the TDL, making space for young players to crack the line up are all examples of doing things differently?

Specifically, what would you have done differently this off season if you were Tre? Last off-season doesn't really count as he came in at a bad time and trick my situation.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Askarov, a guy who certainly has pedigree, but isn’t consider good enough for Nashville to have him in the NHL.

Askarov, a guy whose AHL numbers are inferior to our own Hildeby.

Askarov likely hits his potential in 3-4 seasons… we need to compete NOW. Surely that shouldn’t be a mystery.

I would have loved to add him… but he essentially cost two first round picks. That’s a no from me.

I don't understand from Nashville side , I don't see the point in taking a goalie in 2020 at 11 overall, and then developing him for 4 years just to trade him for a prospect and a late first.

Askarov was an interesting proposition, but I feel we have some interesting options in net.

I wanted Stolarz and I am interested to see what he can do when given a legitimate chance at being the number 1 guy. Just really get a good feeling from him. W hungry and he sees the chance he has here. Let’s see him run with it.

Interested to see if Woll can stay healthy and what steps forward he can take if he does stay healthy.

Hildeby also represents an interesting prospect in net that honestly should have gotten at least a start in his call up last season. He may not be that far away from challenging to be part of the 2 man goalie roster.

Even a healthy Murray is interesting. While I still hate the trade Dubas made to get him, if he’s 100% healthy, on a minimum contract and hungry to prove he can still play, he may provide some very good value if he’s needed.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Askarov won't be able to carry a team to a cup final any time soon.

Saros can. Askarov saw the future and demanded a trade. Nashville oblidged and traded their unhappy prospect for a handful of goodies including a couple of picks.

They can use one of those picks to draft a stud goalie prospect and start all over again.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
One trade proposal I saw recently that I actually think isn't too bad was,

To Toronto-
Adam Larsson

To Seattle-
Timothy Liljegren
David Kampf
2nd Round Pick (Florida's pick)

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Larsson
Benoit-Mccabe

That trade would significantly upgrade our defense while also giving us some more cap flexibility this year and next

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Personally, I would have traded him the year they signed Tavares, the second this whole contract thing started. He doesn't hold out for half the season and show up playing at half his potential, the Leafs show that they aren't going to cater to whatever the players demand, and their salary is not out of control.
But really, Tre should have traded Nylander before his NMC kicked in. He's a luxury, and now he's an insanely expensive luxury. And now the Leafs are starting at the exact situation I was afraid they'd end up in when this whole shit started; the very real possibility they're rebuilding in four years with a 35+ $11 million Nylander and NOTHING ELSE. Remember the end of the Sundin years? Picture that, only with a worse player overall.
I think last off season were the chance to trade Willie and MM. Would had pull the trigger that summer and then ride out the JT contract. Imagine having 22mil cap space this offseason?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think last off season were the chance to trade Willie and MM. Would had pull the trigger that summer and then ride out the JT contract. Imagine having 22mil cap space this offseason?
Can't tell if you are serious or not? How would have spent $22M this off-season and how would that have made us better?

Reactions: LeafChief

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
One trade proposal I saw recently that I actually think isn't too bad was,

To Toronto-
Adam Larsson

To Seattle-
Timothy Liljegren
David Kampf
2nd Round Pick (Florida's pick)

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Larsson
Benoit-Mccabe

That trade would significantly upgrade our defense while also giving us some more cap flexibility this year and next

That's an interesting one. I like Larsson and his potential fit here. I am not a huge Liljegren fan and I don't like the Kampf deal.

...even with all of this, I am not sure I do this one. You have to think about trajectory, is Larsson aging and getting worse while Liljegren is still growing am improving? Who replaces the Kampf minutes this year?

I have always been a believer that the Kampf contract is moveable and the time for that would be when we have someone ready to take his ten 4LC and PK minutes a night. Minten? Quillan? Dewar to C and Steeves or Grebyonkin getting those minutes? I would like to see all of these auditioned before dumping Kampf.

...I think. As I said this is a trade to consider. Why does Seattle do it? Younger Liljegren and a pick for UFA Larsson ai guess.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can't tell if you are serious or not? How would have spent $22M this off-season and how would that have made us better?
Well instead of OEL, we could sign Z for 5mil which is 1.5mil more than OEL. Can also sign Matt Roy at 5.75mil. Thats 7.25mil from the 22mil. Marchessault at 5.5mil. The remaining 9.25mil could be Stamkos or Lindholm or Gunztel.

Defense will be much better.
Forwards is a bit weaker but overall the team will be more balance.
Esp if Stammer is signed, as PP would be crazy for have Stammer and AM on both wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad