Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I get the feeling too. It will be interesting to see if they extend him before the playoffs or after the playoffs.
I think it will be well before the playoffs. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him before the season starts, because I suspect they already know the number they will be giving Tavares, thereby giving them an idea of how much they can allocate to Marner.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it will be well before the playoffs. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him before the season starts, because I suspect they already know the number they will be giving Tavares, thereby giving them an idea of how much they can allocate to Marner.
Thats an All or Nothing bet. Bc another playoffs failure means cleaning house regardless of NMC or not.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Thats an All or Nothing bet. Bc another playoffs failure means cleaning house regardless of NMC or not.
I disagree. There is no house cleaning coming for at least 5 years. It is unquestionably clear that the franchise is tying itself to this core no matter what happens.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I disagree. There is no house cleaning coming for at least 5 years. It is unquestionably clear that the franchise is tying itself to this core no matter what happens.
First round exits. Quite sad that our MGT and ownerships still believe our Beta Chokers are just Alphas waiting to break out.

Pls don't use Mack or Ovie or any other top players as example of not being label as winners until they won. As they all actually won more than ONE round in 8 years plus none of them played on a team where they have 3 of the top 7-10 salaries in the league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don’t think there’s any house cleaning that will come. At the end of the day it’s an upper echelon NHL team until proven otherwise and even if it doesn’t go as far as we’d like I think MLSE is happy. When I look at the big picture, the Leafs look like a model franchise compared to where the Blue Jays (Rogers) and the Raptors are post championship.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think there’s any house cleaning that will come. At the end of the day it’s an upper echelon NHL team until proven otherwise and even if it doesn’t go as far as we’d like I think MLSE is happy. When I look at the big picture, the Leafs look like a model franchise compared to where the Blue Jays (Rogers) and the Raptors are post championship.
Keywords are POST CHAMPIONSHIP. LOL. Leafs won back in 67.

NBA is different as having a top 10 player if not top 5 player is a must to win the Championship. Having said that, still surprised that the Raptors missed playoffs the past few years.

The issue with the Jays is the development of their own players which is like the Leafs lite, as the players just not Alphas.

From a business standpoint. I don't think Leafs will ever lose money even if they have the Marlies playing as Leafs.

The thing is that do AM wants to stay in four years if Leafs is just a playoffs team?
He is byfar the biggest domino and he will make bank where ever he goes as long as he is the top goal scorer in the league.
Sometime it might take a few years for those big team culture change to finally see the results but all Winners go through that. Panthers, Vegas, Avs, TB and Blues. They all went through that before winning the Cup. None of them stuck with their core from the start.

IF TB traded MSL, their Capt and arguably their Franchise at that time, why can't Leafs do that with MM, Willie, JT, Reilly or even AM. I just don't see why the goal is the Leafs needing the core 5 to win the Cup instead of just Leafs winning the Cup with whatever players they have.

All of them are great players but I don't think any Cup winners in the past 10 years had anyone of them playing a huge role in winning the Cup.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Pittsburgh doesn’t have their 2nd round pick, which would hamper them in doing offer sheets. They can’t go over $2.29 million, or if they do, they have to go over $4.58 million.

$2.29 million is a lot for Robertson, and if he wants out, it’s a risk that we match. Would we match? Probably. They wouldn’t offer over $4.58 mil for Robertson though.. well it’s Dubas so who knows. I’d take their first gladly though.
I’d bet the Leafs let him walk if he was offer sheeted at 2.29M.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I can't think of a benefit to signing Marner before the playoffs, that would offset the risk of nmc-locking him in long term should the Leafs flame out with this core for the 9th time in a row. Tre would get hammered.

His price can't get any higher than his ask already is.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
First round exits. Quite sad that our MGT and ownerships still believe our Beta Chokers are just Alphas waiting to break out.

Pls don't use Mack or Ovie or any other top players as example of not being label as winners until they won. As they all actually won more than ONE round in 8 years plus none of them played on a team where they have 3 of the top 7-10 salaries in the league.
If there was going to be a big change, it would have happened already. It's not happening. Marner will be signed, and that will end the discussion. The team is going to be tied to these three guys indefinitely (or at least until Matthews contract ends).

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Still think Robertson is moved.

Akil Thomas would be an interesting swap.
They were line mates at the end of the 2019-20 season.

I’m not sure if Akil Thomas has a NHL future and I’m not sure Robertson fits with LAK given their top 9.

I could see Robertson for Tomasino being a better fit for both teams.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If there was going to be a big change, it would have happened already. It's not happening. Marner will be signed, and that will end the discussion. The team is going to be tied to these three guys indefinitely (or at least until Matthews contract ends).
Like I said, Leafs will just be a playoffs team. And it is quite sad that instead of finding Alphas to lead these betas, the MGT and ownerships are still hoping these BetaChokers can turn into Alphas.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Absolutely, you need a threat beyond the top 4 players.

Throw everything at 3 players and ignore the leadfoot, stone handers.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Well if the three players are McD, Barkov and Mack. Think that would be okay.

Do you know that for this coming season, instead of having our 4 10mil plus Betas of AM, Willie, JT and MM, Leafs could use the same salary and have McD, Mack, Barkov and Pasta with 0.29mil surplus.
Don’t think anyone would not take those four over our four. Two of them are better C than AM. While the other C is the best defensive Forward in the league and the RW is arguably top 3 goal scorers in this generation who just happened to score the OT series clinching goal against us a few months back.
And people wonder why Leafs couldn’t win a round in playoffs. Keep blaming the coach, depth, defence and goaltending. How about our 4 highest paid players playing their level.
Let’s run it back and see what happens.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Pittsburgh doesn’t have their 2nd round pick, which would hamper them in doing offer sheets. They can’t go over $2.29 million, or if they do, they have to go over $4.58 million.

$2.29 million is a lot for Robertson, and if he wants out, it’s a risk that we match. Would we match? Probably. They wouldn’t offer over $4.58 mil for Robertson though.. well it’s Dubas so who knows. I’d take their first gladly though.
I don't think a offer sheet threat is even a option at this point from any team. Feels like if Robertson threat of "no intention of signing a contract extension" was real, he would have done so already.

Feels like generally when a team offer sheets a player, they do so knowing the team is going to have trouble matching it or potentially face retribution in the future. Robertson at 2.29m is steep for teams at this point in the summer, and probably isn't worth that $ right now, and anything in the 1m to 1.5m range Toronto would probably match that and teams know that so they won't bother tending the offer sheet.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think a offer sheet threat is even a option at this point from any team. Feels like if Robertson threat of "no intention of signing a contract extension" was real, he would have done so already.

Feels like generally when a team offer sheets a player, they do so knowing the team is going to have trouble matching it or potentially face retribution in the future. Robertson at 2.29m is steep for teams at this point in the summer, and probably isn't worth that $ right now, and anything in the 1m to 1.5m range Toronto would probably match that and teams know that so they won't bother tending the offer sheet.
If he wants to leave Toronto he's not going to sign a sheet that will keep him here.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Toronto depth the past 2-3 years in the lineup has been awful, now add in a mediocre d-core and goaltending and you get the results we have gotten. The middle of Toronto forwards group (1 top 6 forward and 3rd line)

On the bright side, it appears Toronto is now starting to get a injection of good solid younger players such as Knies/McMann/Robertson to fill those holes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’d bet the Leafs let him walk if he was offer sheeted at 2.29M.

I'd bet they'd match quite easily, 2.3M is only about 400-700k over what he'd sign on a "fair" deal. Anything under 3M is 100% a match, anything over 3M gets dicey the higher you go.

Also, Robertson signing an offer sheet only to be matched and be "stuck" with the Leafs when he wants to be traded doesn't make much sense. It would need to be an overpayment like Broberg received. Robertson's camp likely would tell the offer sheet team to make a trade instead of offer sheeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well if the three players are McD, Barkov and Mack. Think that would be okay.

Do you know that for this coming season, instead of having our 4 10mil plus Betas of AM, Willie, JT and MM, Leafs could use the same salary and have McD, Mack, Barkov and Pasta with 0.29mil surplus.
Don’t think anyone would not take those four over our four. Two of them are better C than AM. While the other C is the best defensive Forward in the league and the RW is arguably top 3 goal scorers in this generation who just happened to score the OT series clinching goal against us a few months back.
And people wonder why Leafs couldn’t win a round in playoffs. Keep blaming the coach, depth, defence and goaltending. How about our 4 highest paid players playing their level.
Let’s run it back and see what happens.

If you're trying to say the Leafs drafted the wrong players, and then signed the wrong UFA, it's just the luck of the draft/draw.

Realistically, Leafs may have done better with less this year, losing in overtime in game 7.
Nylander being unable to play for 3 games, still lead team in goals.
Matthews, being unable to play still tied for points lead.

marner 3 points in 7 games.
Tavares 2 points in 7 games.

When you are missing your shooters ... no scraps to go around.

Reactions: Rocker13

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If you're trying to say the Leafs drafted the wrong players, and then signed the wrong UFA, it's just the luck of the draft/draw.

Realistically, Leafs may have done better with less this year, losing in overtime in game 7.
Nylander being unable to play for 3 games, still lead team in goals.
Matthews, being unable to play still tied for points lead.

marner 3 points in 7 games.
Tavares 2 points in 7 games.

When you are missing your shooters ... no scraps to go around.

Robertson didn't get much time on the PP either... a PP that really wasn't working, and you've got the guy who arguably has the second or third best shot on the team.... and he's on the bench. It's just strange. If you are going to use the kid, use him on the PP... Watching the last playoffs was just frustrating all around.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertson didn't get much time on the PP either... a PP that really wasn't working, and you've got the guy who arguably has the second or third best shot on the team.... and he's on the bench. It's just strange. If you are going to use the kid, use him on the PP... Watching the last playoffs was just frustrating all around.

The PP down the stretch and playoffs was a joke, like ZERO adjustments, ever.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The PP down the stretch and playoffs was a joke, like ZERO adjustments, ever.

That's a special level of incompetence, that you can have offensive players with that much talent, and not be able to score on the PP. It was just terrible.

1 PP goal in 7 games. PP% 4.8% 21 attempts... 1 goal.

Meanwhile... 64.7% PK.

As inept as we were... we actually had 11 gf, and 11 ga 5v5.

Special teams killed us.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
To me that's why the huge move this year is the one I'm most interested in.

That and the fact that move has an asset that wasn't afraid to employ "kids" in a Cup winning season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This might be deeply unpopular, and not knowing anything of what happening in PHI, but Ryan Johansen has had his contact terminated. He’s a right shot Center; yes he’s declined immensely, but could he hold down the 3C hole for us? It would give a bit of offence there, and dump Kampf down to 4C.

For a shot as a camp invite or league minimum I would argue.
That guy’s a cancer, the Leafs are toxic enough without adding a useless problem child…….

Reactions: IPS

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
On the bright side, it appears Toronto is now starting to get an injection of good solid younger players such as Knies/McMann/Robertson to fill those holes.

Knies is a good young addition.

While I do like McMann in the bottom 6, he’s 28 years old, so not really an infusion of youth.

Roberson may not sign. If he does sign, he may not even make the team. If he does make the team, he may not stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad