Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What if he was to replace another problem pouting child?
I doubt any of the Leaf problem players are as big a problem or as useless a player. He’s worn out his welcome wherever he’s played, and isn’t half the player he once was. If the Leafs want to win they should rid themselves of problem children not obtain more……..

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'd bet they'd match quite easily, 2.3M is only about 400-700k over what he'd sign on a "fair" deal. Anything under 3M is 100% a match, anything over 3M gets dicey the higher you go.

Also, Robertson signing an offer sheet only to be matched and be "stuck" with the Leafs when he wants to be traded doesn't make much sense. It would need to be an overpayment like Broberg received. Robertson's camp likely would tell the offer sheet team to make a trade instead of offer sheeting.

2.3 is a second round pick right? I’d take that for Robertson easily.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Knowing Treliving likes to do the bare minimum for his team, I would say he'd probably take it too. No need to trade anyone, no need to make changes, just take the 2nd round pick for the 23 year old to spend at the deadline for a rental 4th line center.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
AAVDraft picks required
$1.51MM or lessNo compensation
$1.51MM to $2.29MMThird-round pick
$2.29MM to $4.58MMSecond-round pick
$4.58MM to $6.87MMFirst and third-round picks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
AAVDraft picks required
$1.51MM or lessNo compensation
$1.51MM to $2.29MMThird-round pick
$2.29MM to $4.58MMSecond-round pick
$4.58MM to $6.87MMFirst and third-round picks
Has there ever been a situation where a player signed the 1.51 or less and the Team didn't match and lost the player with no compensation?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
If he wants to leave Toronto he's not going to sign a sheet that will keep him here.
And teams aren't going to sign him to a sheet that forces them to pay a higher end draft pick like a 2nd rounder, and have him make good money as well. It's a lose/lose situation for Robertson.

Knies is a good young addition.

While I do like McMann in the bottom 6, he’s 28 years old, so not really an infusion of youth.

Roberson may not sign. If he does sign, he may not even make the team. If he does make the team, he may not stick.
I always forget Bobby is 28 lol, It's a weird situation when a player doesn't develop into a NHL player until his "prime" age. Regardless he's a nice addition to the 3rd line with his big frame and if he can maintain his goal scoring ability

Robertson should be on the team, he has an ability to score goals which has been something Toronto has lacked in the middle 6. Toronto needs to find a way to develop him into a efficient 3rd line player. (he's close, he just need to work on his game in d-zone and be able to handle pressure down the wall better).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Has there ever been a situation where a player signed the 1.51 or less and the Team didn't match and lost the player with no compensation?
Since the modern Offer Sheet structure, no, but it has happened twice
Funny enough, to two goalies in July 1996

July 10, 1996, Ottawa Senators signed Ron Tugnutt from the Washington Capitals. No compensation due to contract value (<$400k).
July 22, 1996, Dallas Stars signed Arturs Irbe from the San Jose Sharks. No compensation due to contract value ($400k + bonuses)

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I always forget Bobby is 28 lol, It's a weird situation when a player doesn't develop into a NHL player until his "prime" age. Regardless he's a nice addition to the 3rd line with his big frame and if he can maintain his goal scoring ability
When we signed Bunting as a hopful top 6 guy he was a notably late bloomer coming off a partial season where he impressed with his goal scoring. That was 4 seasons ago, McMann is currently in the same situation basically.

Both Bunting and McMann are currently 28 years old (Bunting does turn 29 in a month).

This is why I'm a little leary of expecting much from McMann. I like him, dont get me wrong, but from a traditional development curve standpoint for his player type and role he'd be a vet looking to see if he can hang on to his NHL career for another year or two. But of course he hasn't taken a typical path. The usual problem for this player type at this age is if the body can hold up. But McMann hasn't gone through the grinder the way most NHLers have by 28. He has had some injury issues though.

Reactions: uncleben

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
When we signed Bunting as a hopful top 6 guy he was a notably late bloomer coming off a partial season where he impressed with his goal scoring. That was 4 seasons ago, McMann is currently in the same situation basically.

Both Bunting and McMann are currently 28 years old (Bunting does turn 29 in a month).

This is why I'm a little leary of expecting much from McMann. I like him, dont get me wrong, but from a traditional development curve standpoint for his player type and role he'd be a vet looking to see if he can hang on to his NHL career for another year or two. But of course he hasn't taken a typical path. The usual problem for this player type at this age is if the body can hold up. But McMann hasn't gone through the grinder the way most NHLers have by 28. He has had some injury issues though.

As long as we can get two decent years out of him, that's great.

As it stands now... without trades, we have Nylander, Marner, Domi, Knies, Cowan and Grebyonkin in the top nine. Maybe Robertson sticks... or not. That's seven guys, for six top 9 winger spots.

Maybe he solidifies a 4th line position when Knies, Cowan and Grebyonkin are fully developed... but it's not like we are dependent on further growth from McMann.... and I like the guy too.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
And teams aren't going to sign him to a sheet that forces them to pay a higher end draft pick like a 2nd rounder, and have him make good money as well. It's a lose/lose situation for Robertson.

I’d even take a 3rd for him at this point. Asking for a trade tells me he’s entitled, and I’d rather have a player who is willing to earn their spot.

Yeah, he’s fine on a 3rd line. He’s probably ideally placed on a 4th line, but we lack the depth for that.

Robertson should be on the team, he has an ability to score goals which has been something Toronto has lacked in the middle 6.

It doesn’t matter if you can score if you’re so bad defensively that your net contributions are still a negative.

Toronto needs to find a way to develop him into a efficient 3rd line player. (he's close, he just need to work on his game in d-zone and be able to handle pressure down the wall better).

Robertson needs to develop himself into an efficient 3rd line player. Playing better defensive hockey is a matter of effort and concentration. The only players who are bad defensively are the ones who don’t care about that side of the game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

1724344344950.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad