Votes: 27 55.1%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Since you are asking my opinion. I don't think we trade Nylander, doesn't sort of force us keep Marner? Alex Nylander has NO TRADE VALUE and would also not warrant a two year NHL commitment above minimum.

I like Keller, but that seems like a lot hom and Doan. Bjugstad is not a #2C on a good team.

What are we doing with that cap space this season? We are worse this year as a result of this trade. We can't be making ourselves worse any of the years in this window.

Something around Marner for Keller + could work but I think we need to try to Marner into a young D man in a trade.

Marner is no doubt a better player than Keller, but contracts factored I am not sure that a deal centered around Marner/Keller would be very appealing to Utah. Especially not if they are adding, which obviously they would be.

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
Since you are asking my opinion. I don't think we trade Nylander, doesn't sort of force us keep Marner? Alex Nylander has NO TRADE VALUE and would also not warrant a two year NHL commitment above minimum.

I like Keller, but that seems like a lot hom and Doan. Bjugstad is not a #2C on a good team.

What are we doing with that cap space this season? We are worse this year as a result of this trade. We can't be making ourselves worse any of the years in this window.

Something around Marner for Keller + could work but I think we need to try to Marner into a young D man in a trade.
Was just looking at a different angle if marner isn't traded to gain Keller as I feel that line could produce in the regular season and playoffs plus the fact Matthews is close friends with him along with the cap space Utah has itself. The first 2027 draft pick along with Minten gives them something to mull over, almost forcing them to take the trade ( even though they may not)

Bjug- Could be placed on the third line center but I liked the line-up I came up with.
I don't feel we'd be worse by any means.

The added cap space we can hold onto when t is needed ( before playoffs, emergencies, ect.
Just somethin different. :)

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Can you trade buyout contracts. If a team has to reach the floor can they trade for a buyout contract.
Example if Nashville wants to get cap space can they trade johansson buyout cap.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Can you trade buyout contracts. If a team has to reach the floor can they trade for a buyout contract.
Example if Nashville wants to get cap space can they trade johansson buyout cap.
No but you thought it would be an interesting idea to have buyout exemptions that a team can use once every 2 or 3 years . And those would be tradeable . Be a good asset for small market teams

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If Marner is somehow moved this off season, the main target in any trade should be either a young top pairing RHD or a young top 6 center. There's only a handful of teams that have either one. My dream would be if Moritz Seider plays hardball with Detroit and wants out.

To Toronto-
Moritz Seider

To Detroit-
Mitch Marner

Simple 1 for 1 trade

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
No but you thought it would be an interesting idea to have buyout exemptions that a team can use once every 2 or 3 years . And those would be tradeable . Be a good asset for small market teams
That’s what I was thinking. Small market teams couldn’t lose in that scenario

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
If Marner is somehow moved this off season, the main target in any trade should be either a young top pairing RHD or a young top 6 center. There's only a handful of teams that have either one. My dream would be if Moritz Seider plays hardball with Detroit and wants out.

To Toronto-
Moritz Seider

To Detroit-
Mitch Marner

Simple 1 for 1 trade
Always been a fan of the idea of acquiring Seider, just doubt Marner waives for Detroit.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Always been a fan of the idea of acquiring Seider, just doubt Marner waives for Detroit.
Well it's not the worst option. Still relatively close to Toronto (4 hour drive), young up and coming team, good friends with Dylan Larkin. They definitely have the cap space to sign him to a long term contract.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If Hakanpaa is signed, the defence sets up pretty nicely. I keep coming back to an in-season trade for a center. I like Gourde or Bjugstad.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

To Toronto-
Moritz Seider

To Detroit-
Mitch Marner

Simple 1 for 1 trade
Why would we want to trade for Morgan Reilly #2?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Well it's not the worst option. Still relatively close to Toronto (4 hour drive), young up and coming team, good friends with Dylan Larkin. They definitely have the cap space to sign him to a long term contract.
I could have seen Marner in Nashville..
Maybe Utah due to it being new and exciting.
Vegas is also a viable option. Chicago maybe if they have a good season and Bedard really brought things together.
Other than that I can’t see him waiving for anywhere else.

Why would we want to trade for Morgan Reilly #2?
Moritz Seider is such a better overall defensemen …

Reactions: arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been out of it for a few weeks and I see nothing happened. PTO's should be trickling any second now though, and those can get interesting. Gregor forced a minor trade last year and earned a contract.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've been out of it for a few weeks and I see nothing happened. PTO's should be trickling any second now though, and those can get interesting. Gregor forced a minor trade last year and earned a contract.

Now news, no rumours, no quotes… nothing.

Welcome back, PTO’s and perhaps news around Hakanpaa and Steeves and Robertson signings are the only things left to do before October.

Reactions: TMLAM34

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
With Blais going to the KHL, I see us giving a PTO to Cal Clutterbuck

Played all 82 games last season and is a hitting machine. Worth a shot like like we did for Gregor last year.

Also loads of experience on the PK, which I know the leafs are trying to fix desperately

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With Blais going to the KHL, I see us giving a PTO to Cal Clutterbuck

Played all 82 games last season and is a hitting machine. Worth a shot like like we did for Gregor last year.

Also loads of experience on the PK, which I know the leafs are trying to fix desperately

Not the worst idea and he can skate. He's from Welland I think and has been with NYI for a long time so perhaps there's a world where he'd play closer to home. Not sure we need another 37 years old 4th line RW but on a PTO it's no biggie to see how he can fit.

I think there are better targets to fill bigger roles though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not the worst idea and he can skate. He's from Welland I think and has been with NYI for a long time so perhaps there's a world where he'd play closer to home. Not sure we need another 37 years old 4th line RW but on a PTO it's no biggie to see how he can fit.

I think there are better targets to fill bigger roles though.
I'd bring Tyler Johnson in on a PTO. At least it's a C that can play some reps for us. He just turned 34, a bit small... but could give us some utility, and might stick at 3C, if we don't find other options that work for us.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What if we traded ($15.616 million out) - W. Nylander(11.5m) A. Nylander ( Signed @1.2 Mil for 2 years), Jarnkrock (2.1m) Minten (816K) and our 2027 1st to Utah for: ($10.175 million back)
Keller (7.15m) Bjugstad (2.1m) Doan (925K)

This would gives us $5.144 mil in cap space.

The front line up would look like this:

Keller- Matthews - Marner
Knies - Bjugstad - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Doan
Kampf - Dewar - Holmberg

Reeves (tradeable possibly)
Robertson ( tradeable possibly )
Cowan (keepable)
That's not great even without throwing in our 2027 1st.

Bjugstad is younger than JT, but I'm not sure he's a better choice at 2C. Keller isn't an upgrade on Nylander. Is Doan better than Minten? A. Nylander is worth nothing in a trade, but might have some value here.

So we gain $5M in cap by getting worse and giving up a 1st? I don't see it.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Was just looking at a different angle if marner isn't traded to gain Keller as I feel that line could produce in the regular season and playoffs plus the fact Matthews is close friends with him along with the cap space Utah has itself. The first 2027 draft pick along with Minten gives them something to mull over, almost forcing them to take the trade ( even though they may not)

Bjug- Could be placed on the third line center but I liked the line-up I came up with.
I don't feel we'd be worse by any means.

The added cap space we can hold onto when t is needed ( before playoffs, emergencies, ect.
Just somethin different. :)
They would already be getting the better player in Nylander - why would we add either Minten or a first?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
What if we traded ($15.616 million out) - W. Nylander(11.5m) A. Nylander ( Signed @1.2 Mil for 2 years), Jarnkrock (2.1m) Minten (816K) and our 2027 1st to Utah for: ($10.175 million back)
Keller (7.15m) Bjugstad (2.1m) Doan (925K)

This would gives us $5.144 mil in cap space.

The front line up would look like this:

Keller- Matthews - Marner
Knies - Bjugstad - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Doan
Kampf - Dewar - Holmberg

Reeves (tradeable possibly)
Robertson ( tradeable possibly )
Cowan (keepable)

Bjugstad is the perfect guy to get at the deadline if Utah falls out of it. I’m sure they’ll be much better this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Keep praying but don't hold your breath. Maybe Shanny can take Yzerman out for dinner and get him drunk first. Maybe Stevie will add a pick.

Did he have a poor season this year?

I don't see a single vote for Norris.

You'd think he get a couple picks somewhere below.
Look at Morrissey for example.

1723492407689.png

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
That's not great even without throwing in our 2027 1st.

Bjugstad is younger than JT, but I'm not sure he's a better choice at 2C. Keller isn't an upgrade on Nylander. Is Doan better than Minten? A. Nylander is worth nothing in a trade, but might have some value here.

So we gain $5M in cap by getting worse and giving up a 1st? I don't see it.
I personally see Keller being on a line with marner and Matthews upping his production and considering his Kellers cap hit (7.150) which is locked in until 2029 where he becomes a UFA is even more savings for us down the road therefore giving us the potential to add in other places as management sees fit.

The 1st and Minten is a sweetener to almost guarantee a trade could be made. I also feel Keller would be worth that fetch considering his line he plays on now with his production and the potential for even further production.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad