Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif
The stereotypes kinda suck though... it's just a weird caricature... it's barely even "Italian". It's more of a 1950/60 working class New Yorker.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I never had deep dish in Chicago....I would like to try it. I had deep dish and it's pretty good.... it's just not pizza. It's a casserole. There's a few things I want try in Chicago though like an Italian beef sandwich.

I never tried the deep dish during my brief time in Chicago, but the Chicago style hot dogs are awesome. Every so often I try to replicate them myself, but come up short.

I have 6 good to very good pizza joints within a 5 minute or so ride from my house in NJ, so this is going to come across as sacrilege...but most of the time my family just makes up pizza kits from Costco. Granted, I have two teenage boys in the house so it's good to have plenty on hand as a quick meal for them as they'll usually house an entire pizza and are easy to make. They provide the dough and sauce - you just add the cheese and toppings. Solid option (and significantly cuts down on the cost), though obviously not as good as the real thing...which after reading through this thread I will certainly be ordering this weekend.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I liked John's very much.

John's isn't as good as it used to be. They became completely touristy.

My GF lived half a block away from there most of her life and won't go there anymore.

I have 6 good to very good pizza joints within a 5 minute or so ride from my house in NJ, so this is going to come across as sacrilege...but most of the time my family just makes up pizza kits from Costco.
Want to hear sacrilege? I REALLY, REALLY like the mushroom truffle pizza at Wegman's.

There, I admitted it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There are for sure many styles of pizza around the country, New Haven's "apizza" being one of them. But the pseudo-Italian "a-beetz" pronunciation is certainly cringe. I grew up with all of that Napolitano-influenced words and slang and now I realize almost nobody in Italy speaks Neapolitan anymore and would be shocked at these terms.
The whole “a-beetz” thing is a piece of trivia everyone in CT learns, and then tells their friends or family at some point, but then later on you realize no one has ever said it in earnest.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I never tried the deep dish during my brief time in Chicago, but the Chicago style hot dogs are awesome. Every so often I try to replicate them myself, but come up short.

I have 6 good to very good pizza joints within a 5 minute or so ride from my house in NJ, so this is going to come across as sacrilege...but most of the time my family just makes up pizza kits from Costco. Granted, I have two teenage boys in the house so it's good to have plenty on hand as a quick meal for them as they'll usually house an entire pizza and are easy to make. They provide the dough and sauce - you just add the cheese and toppings. Solid option (and significantly cuts down on the cost), though obviously not as good as the real thing...which after reading through this thread I will certainly be ordering this weekend.

I think making pizza at home is awesome. Any homemade pizza is ok in my book.

Reactions: HBK27

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The whole “a-beetz” thing is a piece of trivia everyone in CT learns, and then tells their friends or family at some point, but then later on you realize no one has ever said it in earnest.
My great grandmother pronounced pizza that way...her daughter, my mother's mother and my grandmother would pronounce it that way about 50% of time.

I know I've told this story here... I took my wife to meet my great grandmother when we were dating...I talked to her for about 15 minutes about some gardening she wanted me to do...when we left my wife goes "I didn't know that you speak Italian...I said I don't that was English. :laugh:

Poor New England girl was in such shock when she met my family and friends....she should've ran away then.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
1725979942367.png

Daneyko and Spaulding also following Herzog, so she seems to be the new Erika.

Definitely a bit green, but was working towards this type of position - though that was the case when Erika started in this role as well. Herzog also played at the NCAA level.

Wonder if this was a cost-cutting move for MSG?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I never had deep dish in Chicago....I would like to try it. I had deep dish and it's pretty good.... it's just not pizza. It's a casserole. There's a few things I want try in Chicago though like an Italian beef sandwich.

I get to Chicago a few times a month and the Italian beef sandwich is delicious. You can actually have Portillo's shipped and Lou Malnati's pizza as well. Believe it or not the packages are nearly as good as getting them in Chicago.

I love it but I only have it when I visit Chicago, I've had Giordanos and Lou Malnatis but I prefer Giordanos(they also have pizzas you can order online they they'll ship and they have locations around Orlando and other states too but I've never gone to any that weren't in the Chicago area) I prefer our areas style of pizza but I'm not going to go order that type when I'm in Chicago anyway.

One that gets a lot of hype around here that does absolutely nothing for me is L&B in Brooklyn. It's glorified Ellios pizza to me.

In terms of "fast food" pizza I had Papa John's once in my life and I have no idea how they are still in business. Absolutely disgusting.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But now the real truth... if my great grandmother was saying "a-beetz". It was usually to tell me and my cousins not to eat that garbage.... truth!

She was really against us eating "Italian" anywhere but in her kitchen...same for my grandmother. And she really hated pizza parlors as they used to be called.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I love it but I only have it when I visit Chicago, I've had Giordanos and Lou Malnatis but I prefer Giordanos(they also have pizzas you can order online they they'll ship and they have locations around Orlando and other states too but I've never gone to any that weren't in the Chicago area) I prefer our areas style of pizza but I'm not going to go order that type when I'm in Chicago anyway.

One that gets a lot of hype around here that does absolutely nothing for me is L&B in Brooklyn. It's glorified Ellios pizza to me.

In terms of "fast food" pizza I had Papa John's once in my life and I have no idea how they are still in business. Absolutely disgusting.
When I was in my 20"s there was a box of Ellios in my freezer at all times.... I use to doctor it though, add more sauce and cheese, garlic powder and pepper flakes...

Sometimes I would take two squares put chicken in between and make a Ellios chicken Parm-ish sandwich...but I had to be really high to do that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
John's isn't as good as it used to be. They became completely touristy.

My GF lived half a block away from there most of her life and won't go there anymore.

Want to hear sacrilege? I REALLY, REALLY like the mushroom truffle pizza at Wegman's.

There, I admitted it.
Last time I had John's was 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad