Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can provide more background on Chicago Sports Network's deal with WJYS Channel 62.

Under Federal law must-carry rules for cable, WJYS can force Xfinity to carry ONE additional sub-channel (Most likely 62.2) BUT in return, Xfinity gets the signal for free. Here is where it gets sticky as it is unclear if streaming services have to honor the the provisions made for traditional cable.

CHSN has signed a contract with Game Creek Video in New Hampshire to provide TV production trucks for home and away games.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, I'm not buying a f***ing antenna because of their incompetence. Do these f***ing imbeciles realize how many bars/households just aren't going to watch the Blackhawks to start the season? Bars, especially. This is what happens when you partner up with Jerry f***ing Reinsdorf. Everything that man touches turns to dogshit.

@Pez68

CHSN is said to have a deal in place with DirecTV and will be on the same channel that NBC Sports Chicago used so that covers most bars.

An indoor antenna that costs $30 will give you these channels in Chicagoland

Here is the bottom line - you buy the antenna and get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, WGN, CHSN FOR FREE.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
@Pez68

CHSN is said to have a deal in place with DirecTV and will be on the same channel that NBC Sports Chicago used so that covers most bars.

Here is the bottom line - you buy the antenna and get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, WGN, CHSN FOR FREE.
One... this entire thing has been total amateur hour, and they still have nothing in place to create a seamless transition for the vast majority of their fans. Like... there's no debating, defending, or arguing against this being a total shitshow, considering the Hawks season starts in like 3 weeks. And what bars do you know of that still use DirectTV? Just about every bar, sports bar, or restaurant(like a Bdubs) uses Xfinity. At least any of them that I frequent.

Two... forcing people to purchase an antenna in order to watch their favorite teams might be one of the dumbest things I've seen multi-billion dollar organizations do in a really long time.

Here's the bottom line. I already pay for my TV service to watch my local sports. It's not like I'm going to cancel it now. So no, I'm not getting it for free. I'm paying my current TV service still, plus I have to buy an antenna(which actually means I'm NOT getting those channels for free if we want to split hairs). It's pure stupidity.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Big issue I'd imagine most here have with watching over an antenna is a lack of dvr/recording capabilities.

An away game in the east starts at 6 central and you miss the first hour because of work, or making dinner, or just life in general, and you are shit out of luck if your only means to watch is over the air.

I do like it being broadcasted over the air. Could really help reach a broader audience in the area, including an audience that left shortly after the recent cup era. And I do like having options available for how to watch a game, but if these channels aren't available with most TV providers, than it's less additional options, and more just exchanging one option for another.

And as has been discussed here already, all this info should've been ironed out a month or two ago already. We're just 2 weeks out now from the start of the network.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
@Pez68

I don't know many bars in Chicago at all that carry DirecTV/ATT. They are almost all Xfinity.

I'm not buying an indoor antenna when I already have subscriptions for TV service.... I already have all those channels. I don't give a crap about antiquated antenna technology, where I cannot pause, rewind, or record the broadcast. It's total bush league nonsense.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One... this entire thing has been total amateur hour, and they still have nothing in place to create a seamless transition for the vast majority of their fans. Like... there's no debating, defending, or arguing against this being a total shitshow, considering the Hawks season starts in like 3 weeks. And what bars do you know of that still use DirectTV? Just about every bar, sports bar, or restaurant(like a Bdubs) uses Xfinity cable.

Two... forcing people to purchase an antenna in order to watch their favorite teams might be one of the dumbest things I've seen multi-billion dollar organizations do in a really long time. And we had Elon buy X recently. So that's saying something.
@ChiHawks10

When Reinsdorf decided to walk away from NBC and start a new channel Danny Wirtz should have explored making a deal with the Cubs channel as he had leverage. Marquee needs a winter partner and the Hawks could have cut a deal giving them equity in the channel.

NBC would have sold NBC Sports Chicago to Reinsdorf for cheap money similar to what happened in Washington last year when the owner of the Caps/Wizards bought NBC Sports Washington and rebranded it Monumental Sports Network but kept the infrastructure in place. JR's people decided to blow everything up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
@ChiHawks10

When Reinsdorf decided to walk away from NBC and start a new channel Danny Wirtz should have explored making a deal with the Cubs channel as he had leverage. Marquee needs a winter partner and the Hawks could have cut a deal giving them equity in the channel.

NBC would have sold NBC Sports Chicago to Reinsdorf for cheap money similar to what happened in Washington last year when the owner of the Caps/Wizards bought NBC Sports Washington and rebranded it Monumental Sports Network but kept the infrastructure in place. JR's people decided to blow everything up.

That's because JR is an idiot. Chicago sports will be infinitely better once he kicks the bucket. Very similar to Dollar Bill.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Big issue I'd imagine most here have with watching over an antenna is a lack of dvr/recording capabilities.

An away game in the east starts at 6 central and you miss the first hour because of work, or making dinner, or just life in general, and you are shit out of luck if your only means to watch is over the air.

I do like it being broadcasted over the air. Could really help reach a broader audience in the area, including an audience that left shortly after the recent cup era. And I do like having options available for how to watch a game, but if these channels aren't available with most TV providers, than it's less additional options, and more just exchanging one option for another.

And as has been discussed here already, all this info should've been ironed out a month or two ago already. We're just 2 weeks out now from the start of the network.
There are DVR options

The biggest mistake Dollar Bill made was making Reinsdorf an equal partner in the United Center.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There are DVR options

The biggest mistake Dollar Bill made was making Reinsdorf an equal partner in the United Center.
So the option is to spend even MORE money if I'd like to DVR games if I'm not home, or have the ability to pause or rewind. So $130 just to watch games and have the ability to record. I'm not getting those channels for free, am I? Again, this is bush league, amateur hour, nonsense. It's a total shitshow, and there really is no defending it. I think there's a single person on HF Hawks that is defending it, and I have absolutely no idea why he is.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's because JR is an idiot. Chicago sports will be infinitely better once he kicks the bucket. Very similar to Dollar Bill.

So the option is to spend even MORE money if I'd like to DVR games if I'm not home, or have the ability to pause or rewind. So $130 just to watch games and have the ability to record. I'm not getting those channels for free, am I? Again, this is bush league, amateur hour, nonsense. It's a total shitshow, and there really is no defending it. I think there's a single person on HF Hawks that is defending it, and I have absolutely no idea why he is.
I have no idea why Danny Wirtz signed off on this.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah.. I think its a stupid f***ing decision. Going into business with JR seems like a really bad f***ing move on all parts. He's a legit penny pinching moron. The Hawks aren't in the business of penny pinching, they actually try and create a welcoming environment for their fans. This doesn't align with that vision at all.

I also think that its fairly easy to get over the air stuff. The recording thing is a problem for sure. I live out of market so nothing really changes for me. I LIKE the idea of it being over the air for free though. They just didn't supplement that with the correct app or additional availability.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yeah.. I think its a stupid f***ing decision. Going into business with JR seems like a really bad f***ing move on all parts. He's a legit penny pinching moron. The Hawks aren't in the business of penny pinching, they actually try and create a welcoming environment for their fans. This doesn't align with that vision at all.

I also think that its fairly easy to get over the air stuff. The recording thing is a problem for sure. I live out of market so nothing really changes for me. I LIKE the idea of it being over the air for free though. They just didn't supplement that with the correct app or additional availability.
They've been in business together for over 30 years. They built the stadium together. They were never separating.

I don't know many bars in Chicago at all that carry DirecTV/ATT. They are almost all Xfinity.
Any bar that had Sunday Ticket has DTV. I don't live in the city anymore, but when I did, everywhere had DTV.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Just saw where WGN radio has hired Charlie Roumeliotis as studio host for pre and post Hawks game shows as well as hosting a once a week LIVE Blackhawks talk show(notcsurevif this willbe live call-in OR a discussion with guests similar to what Remouliotos dod with Hawks Talk o nbcsoirtschicago.com...

Any glad Charlie got a job still covering the Blackhawks...had heard nothing before as to what he would do once nbcsportschicago shuts down onSept.30th..

What I do not know is if the once a week live show he will do in addition to prexand post game shows will be only accessible during the radio broadcast time or whether it can be heard later as called up on demand from some source(eg. Dual radio and internet podcast ? Or via the WGN website? II hope so...

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They've been in business together for over 30 years. They built the stadium together. They were never separating.

Any bar that had Sunday Ticket has DTV. I don't live in the city anymore, but when I did, everywhere had DTV.

Have they even announced the carriage agreement with DTV yet? Because all I've read is that they're "expected" to have this squared away by Oct. 1st. It isn't even a done deal yet. lol

One also needs to accept the reality that this likely doesn't end up on YouTube TV for a while, if ever. So they are alienating an entire portion of their fanbase just like that.

Oh, and that antenna that is so super cheap to buy, only covers one of my TVs. If I wanted to watch the game on another TV, I'll need another damn antenna.

Big sports bars likely have DTV and Sunday Ticket. All of the smaller bars that I have seen, have Xfinity.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Look, it's simple enough. If they don't have a plan to be on basic f***ing cable by the time of their first actual game, this is nothing short of a catastrophic failure on their part. And heck, I'd say not being up by their first preseason game already qualifies for that, but that already seems set to come and go.

Xfinity, AT&T, DirectTV, the lot of them and throughout the areas and cable tiers as the old channel was under. This is the bare minimum level of acceptability. The Hawks more than any other franchise should know the potential for brand damage by not having easily accessible broadcast options for consumers, and suggestions to get an antenna or subscribe to something else doesn't cut it.

And let's face it. The Hawks are still going to be bad this season. The Sox are going to be coming off a historically awful season. The Bulls are the paradigm of mediocrity incarnate. There isn't a much watch factor among any of them beyond interest in Bedard's development. These idiots aren't in a position to demand anything and should be thankful for any viewer they get.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
@ChiHawks10

No reason to think Cubs would have been generous. Ricketts are biggest POS around in Chicago sports

And Wirtz has guarantee of ownership stake and control here. If he goes to Marquee as Cubs junior he doesn't really have much leverage

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Look, it's simple enough. If they don't have a plan to be on basic f***ing cable by the time of their first actual game, this is nothing short of a catastrophic failure on their part. And heck, I'd say not being up by their first preseason game already qualifies for that, but that already seems set to come and go.

Xfinity, AT&T, DirectTV, the lot of them and throughout the areas and cable tiers as the old channel was under. This is the bare minimum level of acceptability. The Hawks more than any other franchise should know the potential for brand damage by not having easily accessible broadcast options for consumers, and suggestions to get an antenna or subscribe to something else doesn't cut it.

And let's face it. The Hawks are still going to be bad this season. The Sox are going to be coming off a historically awful season. The Bulls are the paradigm of mediocrity incarnate. There isn't a much watch factor among any of them beyond interest in Bedard's development. These idiots aren't in a position to demand anything and should be thankful for any viewer they get.
The reality is that the billionaires decided they could make more profit off of screwing their fanbase and starting their own "network". They could have just done what Ted Leonsis did with the Caps/Wizards, but chose not to. I honestly hope their ratings and viewership takes a HUGE hit on this, because they deserve nothing else.

Also, Marquee network is a steaming piece of shit. Their Bears post-game was one of the worst productions I have ever watched.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm fine with Marquee, but truth be told I do remember reading somewhere that their ratings are way down since moving over. I'm sure that they're short term making more money with their own channel, but the Cubs fanbase became widespread and massive thanks to being a default option on many basic cable packages across the Midwest for years. I wouldn't be surprised if we've already passed peak Cubs fandom size as a result of that seemingly constricting.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
No reason to think Cubs would have been generous. Ricketts are biggest POS around in Chicago sports

And Wirtz has guarantee of ownership stake and control here. If he goes to Marquee as Cubs junior he doesn't really have much leverage

Marquee is also half owned by Sinclair, who we don't need to rehash where they are in terms of RSN ownership.

Marquee is NOT doing well....

He should not have :)

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Marquee is also half owned by Sinclair, who we don't need to rehash where they are in terms of RSN ownership.

Marquee is NOT doing well....

He should not have :)
Gee, I wonder who could have seen that coming? Oh...everyone...

This network will be more of the same.

But hey, they get to line their pockets with extra cash. It's nothing but a win for them.

Will this have an impact on streaming for those out of the Chicago market?
What streaming?

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Gee, I wonder who could have seen that coming? Oh...everyone...

This network will be more of the same.

But hey, they get to line their pockets with extra cash. It's nothing but a win for them.

What streaming?

Like does this mean there will only be road broadcasts if you're streaming Hawks games on ESPN+?

I'm not fully in the loop on what's going on here but was surprised to see the last page or so with the season to close.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Like does this mean there will only be road broadcasts if you're streaming Hawks games on ESPN+?

I'm not fully in the loop on what's going on here but was surprised to see the last page or so with the season to close.

I'm guessing the only streaming option for Hawks games will be when they play on ESPN+, for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad