Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I can't see them not having a local paid streaming option. Just throwing away money not having one.

We are working to make Chicago Sports Network available to more fans in more places than ever before. It is our goal to offer CHSN on fans' preferred platforms with financial options that enable all fans to access our games and network content.
As for out of market, ESPN+ will have it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm not in the industry but if you are giving away your product for free over the air I can't imagine why you wouldn't have a deal with cable companies for ten cents of profit on the dollar to carry the channel. Like att Comcast all want to carry three pro sports teams in Chicago at slightly above cost.

I got my antenna for free from the government when they switched. I got the second for $12. Your cable bill would have gone up if the Blackhawks made their own channel. We'll see how it's handled but this genuinely seems like a people borrowing worry situation. Am I totally wrong about some part of this?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not in the industry but if you are giving away your product for free over the air I can't imagine why you wouldn't have a deal with cable companies for ten cents of profit on the dollar to carry the channel. Like att Comcast all want to carry three pro sports teams in Chicago at slightly above cost.

I got my antenna for free from the government when they switched. I got the second for $12. Your cable bill would have gone up if the Blackhawks made their own channel. We'll see how it's handled but this genuinely seems like a people borrowing worry situation. Am I totally wrong about some part of this?
Not everyone can hook up an antenna and figure out the TV tuner without technical assistance. Especially for older people. Doubly so if their TV is mounted on the wall. Even for those of us who can, why the f*** should I? They are the ones who aren't going to have an option on the largest cable provider in the Chicagoland area, and the largest TV streaming service in the country.

"Just go out, buy an antenna, hook it up, and accept an inferior service so you can watch our shitty teams lose." is a hell of a marketing strategy.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not everyone can hook up an antenna and figure out the TV tuner without technical assistance. Especially for older people. Doubly so if their TV is mounted on the wall. Even for those of us who can, why the f*** should I? They are the ones who aren't going to have an option on the largest cable provider in the Chicagoland area, and the largest TV streaming service in the country.

"Just go out, buy an antenna, hook it up, and accept an inferior service so you can watch our shitty teams lose." is a hell of a marketing strategy.
You're assuming it won't be an option and you aren't owed free programming. I'm with you it's stupid if they don't have a deal with cable providers when it's really easy to make that a thing. Like this the most first world argument I've ever had.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let's also not forget that there are a whole bunch of people who likely have no idea what is changing, or what they need to do to watch the teams. I haven't heard anything from my mom yet, who will need an antenna, since she cut the cord and uses YouTube TV.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CHSN has announced carriage deals with WSLN (Ch. 23) in Rockford and NBC affiliate WNDU (Ch. 16) in South Bend, Ind using subchannels.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

As I understand it, they needed the OTA deal done before they could get one done with the cable providers - and the cable subs have to carry it, by the 'must carry' law.

We'll see what happens in the next 2 weeks, as this could be much ado about nothing.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
CHSN has announced carriage deals with WSLN (Ch. 23) in Rockford and NBC affiliate WNDU (Ch. 16) in South Bend, Ind using subchannels.
And still nothing on streaming platforms, or even cable platforms. They have less than 2 weeks to get it done. Guess we'll find out if they can or not.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Do many people have an antenna nowadays? Asking people to go out and buy an ancillary device to watch is a dumb ask on the Hawks' part. I'm almost 40, have never had a digitial antenna, and haven't had a TV antenna of any kind since probably the mid 90s.

Expecting local games to be available on cable isn't an unreasonable onus by comsumers.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Do many people have an antenna nowadays? Asking people to go out and buy an ancillary device to watch is a dumb ask on the Hawks' part. I'm almost 40, have never had a digitial antenna, and haven't had a TV antenna of any kind since probably the mid 90s.

Expecting local games to be available on cable isn't an unreasonable onus by comsumers.
I would say that no, most people do not. I'll be 40 in a month, and have never owned an antenna, or digital antenna. Not to mention, it's two devices if you feel like having the ability to record, rewind, or pause the game. An antenna, plus a DVR. I'll miss a bunch of games due to hockey and other things so being able to record is nice. I'm not trying to go spend $130 just to watch a bottom 5 team because these idiots didn't have a plan/deal in place with cable/streaming providers.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
As I understand it, they needed the OTA deal done before they could get one done with the cable providers - and the cable subs have to carry it, by the 'must carry' law.

We'll see what happens in the next 2 weeks, as this could be much ado about nothing.
That's where I expect it to end up. If I'm wrong I'm wrong this definitely could have been integrated better but a guy who works two part time jobs fifty a hours a week can watch sports. Couldn't if this was on NBCSN. It's an inconvenience for rich old people? Neat.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's where I expect it to end up. If I'm wrong I'm wrong this definitely could have been integrated better but a guy who works two part time jobs fifty a hours a week can watch sports. Couldn't if this was on NBCSN. It's an inconvenience for rich old people? Neat.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this.

Anyone who doesn't have a digital antenna will be unable to watch. And they would have to go buy one for each TV they want to watch on, or constantly switch it from TV to TV. I'm not sure why it's so controversial to be annoyed/frustrated by that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Anyone who doesn't have a digital antenna will be unable to watch. And they would have to go buy one for each TV they want to watch on, or constantly switch it from TV to TV. I'm not sure why it's so controversial to be annoyed/frustrated by that.
Because the guy making 45k can't afford cable. He could watch like what five Hawks games last year? Now he can watch 69.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

You don't know that yet.

Seriously, people, chill out! Give it until 10/1, if you still don't have it then, you're free to complain away.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Because the guy making 45k can't afford cable. He could watch like what five Hawks games last year? Now he can watch 69.
If he's working 2 jobs 50+ hours a week, he still isn't watching with a digital antenna, because he probably works during most, and can't DVR them. So now you're talking adding the cost of a DVR into the mix.

And I'm sorry, but someone making 45k can probably afford a base streaming or cable package that offers the local sports channels. The NBCSN channels were offered on the lowest tier of any cable/streaming package you can have with any of three providers that I've had over the last 5 or 6 years.

You don't know that yet.

Seriously, people, chill out! Give it until 10/1, if you still don't have it then, you're free to complain away.
I'm speaking to IF they have nothing in place by then.

It's still been an absolute shitshow of a project/planning/implementation. It's like a high school media club is spearheading this whole thing.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

You don't even know if the second paragraph is true yet. Again, this should have been handled better but this is such a first world problem I don't have time for it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're assuming it won't be an option and you aren't owed free programming. I'm with you it's stupid if they don't have a deal with cable providers when it's really easy to make that a thing. Like this the most first world argument I've ever had.

I'm always on the side of labor can't stand billionaires but this is a nothing issue. Like billionaires aren't looking to take money from the working class and I should be upset?
I'm assuming it won't be an option because, to start the season, it won't be an option. They have made zero comments about YouTube TV or Xfinity broadcasting their games. None. The season starts in two weeks, and they still haven't finalized the deal with DirecTV, who they have actually mentioned by name. The statement on their website doesn't inspire much confidence, either:

"
We are working to make Chicago Sports Network available to more fans in more places than ever before. It is our goal to offer CHSN on fans' preferred platforms with financial options that enable all fans to access our games and network content.

"

"We are working."
"It is our goal."

I'm not sure how much you've worked around technology, but those are the things you say when you're not sure you can deliver.

Who is asking for free programming? People that have YouTube TV and Xfinity aren't getting it for free.... That service is already paid for. For cable users, you're already paying fees to watch those teams. You know, how Xfinity and DirecTV charge customers extra for Marquee network, even if you don't want it?

We live in a first world country. Every argument we have is a first world argument. Duh.

This is not a nothing issue. The Blackhawks, White Sox, and Bulls are telling the majority of their fans and customers that if they want their product, they will need to go out, buy an antenna, hook it up, and watch their games OTA. They are actually making it HARDER for the overwhelming majority of their fans to tune in. How is this a nothing issue? It's almost marketing malpractice. You always want to make it EASIER to consume your product, not more difficult.

Billionaires aren't looking to take money from the working class? Lol. What a naive statement. The OTA shit is nothing more than leverage for their negotiations with the major providers. That's it. Corporations offer NOTHING for free, and this is no exception. You can bet your ass that if/when these games come to Xfinity, it comes with a premium. I actually have doubts that it will ever come to YouTube TV, because YouTube TV doesn't do RSNs....

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad