Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah not sure the thought process behind that. Unless they don't plan to keep Marner how can you not pay the better player more? Guessing he's around 12 unless he takes a discount.

For $501k he could derail all the overpaid slings and arrows.

But I'm not sure he gives two hoots about the fans or their perception of him.

marner 4 * $11,499k

I'd just like to see that for the reaction ... not my money.

And not sure I'd go better player, just a different type of player.

He isn't a goal scorer, although he could be.

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would only take a chance on Laine if he comes to our Leafs for cheap.

As a 2nd overall draft pick, he has already failed to stick in Winnipeg and Columbus. What makes anyone think he'd be anywhere close to productive as a Leaf? Unless you consider his participation in the NHL player assistance program as a positive, all he has done on the ice is less than positive at this point.

IMHO, you don't trade a 1st round pick for a reclamation project player. Although it sounds typical for our Leafs, trading a 1st round pick for a still unproven to be a consistent team player that is Laine, would be a HUGE mistake.

JMHO.

There are still creative ways to mitigate future picks.
IIRC you cannot base it on re-signing, but I think you can based on playoffs results.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
If Robertson doesn't want to sign, Alex Nylander can have his spot in the lineup and he can sit the year. We've been destroyed in RFA negotiations when we hold all the leverage enough times. I like the guy but he's kidding himself if he thinks he's proven anything

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

As a 2nd overall draft pick, he has already failed to stick in Winnipeg and Columbus. What makes anyone think he'd be anywhere close to productive as a Leaf? Unless you consider his participation in the NHL player assistance program as a positive, all he has done on the ice is less than positive at this point.

IMHO, you don't trade a 1st round pick for a reclamation project player. Although it sounds typical for our Leafs, trading a 1st round pick for a still unproven to be a consistent team player that is Laine, would be a HUGE mistake.

JMHO.
Little bit of a over reaction here. Him being moved from Winnipeg wasn't due to lack of production, Winnipeg made a hockey trade, and it hasn't worked out in CBJ due to them being a bad team and injury trouble. (He's manage to play in 45, 56 (PPG) and 55 Games (PPG), and has 388 Points in 480 Games.

The only downfall to Laine is his cap hit at 8.7m, but Laine @ 4.35m and the same cap hit as Kampf and Jarnkrok I think it would be worth the risk taking him for a 1st.. He provides size and can score goals from anywhere on the ice in the o-zone.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

JMHO.
If Laine is in a good place, I'd take a shot at him @ 1/2 price for a 2nd, a small winger wanting out while dumping Kampf and Jarnkrok. We'd have two lethal PP units. Sorry, not adding a first unless they add a player who can replace Jarnkrok on the 3rd line.

If Robertson doesn't want to sign, Alex Nylander can have his spot in the lineup and he can sit the year. We've been destroyed in RFA negotiations when we hold all the leverage enough times. I like the guy but he's kidding himself if he thinks he's proven anything
Being so thin on LW is a great opportunity for Robertson. If he still wants out, I'd grant him his wish for the right return.

Reactions: Eye Test and Al14

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Stars
Mason Marchment
For
Nick Robertson, David Kampf & Fla 2nd

Knies - - Matthews - - Marner
Marchment - Domi - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - McMann
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Little bit of a over reaction here. Him being moved from Winnipeg wasn't due to lack of production, Winnipeg made a hockey trade, and it hasn't worked out in CBJ due to them being a bad team and injury trouble. (He's manage to play in 45, 56 (PPG) and 55 Games (PPG), and has 388 Points in 480 Games.

The only downfall to Laine is his cap hit at 8.7m, but Laine @ 4.35m and the same cap hit as Kampf and Jarnkrok I think it would be worth the risk taking him for a 1st.. He provides size and can score goals from anywhere on the ice in the o-zone.
Didn't he just get out of the Players Assistance Program?

Reactions: Al14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs - Stars
Mason Marchment
For

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren

If the Stars x-scout was so fabulous ...

Robertson for a prospect of Leach's choice.

Money - Mouth

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Didn't he just get out of the Players Assistance Program?
He did, but I don't hold that against him as a "downfall" -- Players go there for all sorts of reasons, substance abuse, mental health issues. He needed help with whatever he was going through and got it. We don't know what it was for either. It doesn't change what he can do on the ice as a hockey player.

Spensor Knight recently spent time in the Players Assistance Program due to a OCD.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs - Stars
Mason Marchment
For

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren

I would love to be able to get Marchment back but Dallas gave away a Faksa, who is fairly similar to Kampf. They also have a bunch of good young players coming in Stankoven and Bourque, both are just as small as Robertso.n

Not sure this is something that makes sense for them. And they certainly don't need the cap savings for this season unless Harley is asking for a ton. After this season though they will be in tough a bit.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He did, but I don't hold that against him as a "downfall" -- Players go there for all sorts of reasons, substance abuse, mental health issues. He needed help with whatever he was going through and got it. We don't know what it was for either. It doesn't change what he can do on the ice as a hockey player.

Spensor Knight recently spent time in the Players Assistance Program due to a OCD.
Is that what it was for ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For Laine? I couldn't tell you, for Spencer Knight, yes.

I asked about Laine on the Main Board, the reply was.

"Mental health reset. Loss of his father, multiple injuries disrupting career and consistent losing is the prevailing belief."

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would love to be able to get Marchment back but Dallas gave away a Faksa, who is fairly similar to Kampf. They also have a bunch of good young players coming in Stankoven and Bourque, both are just as small as Robertso.n

Not sure this is something that makes sense for them. And they certainly don't need the cap savings for this season unless Harley is asking for a ton. After this season though they will be in tough a bit.

They gotta get through the Seguin contract.

Harley might be smarter to bridge because if you're Harley, you can maybe go to 7.5M versus Faber's 8.5M given the tax savings but that's about it.

Reactions: SprDaVE

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I asked about Laine on the Main Board, the reply was.

"Mental health reset. Loss of his father, multiple injuries disrupting career and consistent losing is the prevailing belief."
Not sure he’d like it here then if consistent losing was a problem :naughty:

But if the leafs could get him for just over 4 million I imagine they would take that chance.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Even the JFresh stats that he posted predicted Nylander to be better than 79% of forwards (at 5v5) at both in-zone offence and in-zone assists, and better that 77% of forwards at forechecking.

I would say the top 25% would be considered 'good'.

It's great that we're getting some of your opinions rather than just critiques of others.

So, is being a good forechecker synonymous with being great at cycle hockey? Do you know the answer to this? One is a defensive play, the other is an offensive play.

Personally, I think Marner has moments of greatness as a forechecker, but I don't see him as a great cycle player. We seen in the playoffs that hes more comfortable on the forecheck but doesnt necessarily want to be the player in a corner on a puck first. The same goes for Nylander (though I think hes better than Marner). I dont think they play "heavy" enough as Babcock used to say (btw he clarifies that size doesnt matter when playing heavy on the puck).

I'm not finding any stats that specifically track individual cycle offense. However, there are a few categories that one would think are associated with cycling. Forechecking is one, but it doesn't automatically make you a great cycle player IMO. Another stat tracks loose puck recovery, a category where players like Tkachuk and Konecny typically are among the leagues best.

Last edited:

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
With Alex Nylander getting a shot, I'd keep Robertson now.

There's potential for a cheap, sneaky 40 goals combined between the 2 of these guys (Not on the same line, just on the same team). Near 40 goal pace from Alex Nylander on the Jackets and we already know Robertson is on track to hit 20 goals.

Just clasp your hands and pray from a defensive standpoint lol

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any PTO predictions? They should be popping up in the next few weeks.

I'll go with Sammy Blais, Dominik Kubalik, Travis Dermott and Steven Lorentz. Not all 4 of course but edging my bets here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Any PTO predictions? They should be popping up in the next few weeks.

I'll go with Sammy Blais, Dominik Kubalik, Travis Dermott and Steven Lorentz. Not all 4 of course but edging my bets here.

I'd Cousins to the list maybe, centerman that can play 4th line with an ability to be rat.

We have a lot of D but Blais, Lorentz, Kuablik, Tierney and Cousins are all options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad