Votes: 24 57.1%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, I think Columbus isn't close to being good, so I think for the right price there'd be very few pieces there that aren't available. With Jenner being 31 right now, if we offer them something that fits their timeline better, I think it could be done.

Gourde & Colton I think are the more complex. And I agree with you.
What I would say is Gourde has 1 year left, so there'd probably have to be some indication he doesn't plan to extend for them to get on board, especially as a team that struggled offensively. We'd need retention as well, which further complicates things.

Colton I think is a numbers game. Colorado doesn't have clarity on Landeskog and Nichuskin right now, but if both are able to return this year they are going to be WAY over the cap.
IF, and big IF, Colton was made available I think it's probably a deadline move to be honest. 3 years left at 4M he'd be a huge addition, but he's also be the most expensive to acquire and Colorado would not be looking to take any cap back which makes it tight.

I think Jenner is even less available than the others. I get the age, but he's their heart and soul, and they just couldn't afford to lose him at all.

Gourde might be the most likely to be available. They added Stephenson, have Beniers and Wright. If Wright proves to be NHL ready this year, they might wish to move Gourde to have more of a 4C.... but then we'd have to give up Kampf.... which I don't mind, but then we don't have a 4C, unless Minten takes that spot and runs. But Seattle doesn't make such a move until mid-season at best.

Colorado is in a rough spot for sure.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Our center position will be very interesting to watch.
If Tavares starts to decline even more, it becomes a potentially worrying situation.
We really need Minten to hit longterm, even if it's just as a strong all around 3C.

I wouldn't worry about a few months of Tavares declining further.

He'll be fine for this year, even if they had to do something like,
Tavares-Holmberg/Minten-Jarnkrok
it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Centers: Matthews, Tavares, Domi, Kampf, Holmberg, Minten.

Knies, Matthews, marner, Nylander, perhaps even Robertson have to score, and even if Tavares declined 10% he'd be close to a 60 point player.

It's just one year ... maybe the new coach knows how to integrate prospects, as he's done that successfully in the past.

Leafs haven't had a good coach for a long time, Quinn or Burns who worked with what they had. Lidstrom wasn't ever on the Leafs so I won't include Babcock.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Jenner is even less available than the others. I get the age, but he's their heart and soul, and they just couldn't afford to lose him at all.

Gourde might be the most likely to be available. They added Stephenson, have Beniers and Wright. If Wright proves to be NHL ready this year, they might wish to move Gourde to have more of a 4C.... but then we'd have to give up Kampf.... which I don't mind, but then we don't have a 4C, unless Minten takes that spot and runs. But Seattle doesn't make such a move until mid-season at best.

Colorado is in a rough spot for sure.

I think the Leafs like their center depth enough at this time. They have options and capable players in a pinch, and their top 4 centers when healthy is more than fine. If they were really worried about it I think they would have signed someone or made a trade for one by now.

Like there's no way Wennberg wouldn't have chosen the Leafs if there was a competitive offer made.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the Leafs like their center depth enough at this time. They have options and capable players in a pinch, and their top 4 centers when healthy is more than fine. If they were really worried about it I think they would have signed someone or made a trade for one by now.

Like there's no way Wennberg couldn't have gotten that 2 years 5M AAV here instead of SJS.
I think the team is prepared to start the year with who they currently have, we certainly agree there. I'm not sure they like their C depth, but they addressed the D with the available cash, and that was the correct priority. Hopefully one of Holmberg, Minten, Dewar, or even Domi step up and can become a viable 3C, while Kampf rebounds a bit, from a down year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the team is prepared to start the year with who they currently have, we certainly agree there. I'm not sure they like their C depth, but they addressed the D with the available cash, and that was the correct priority. Hopefully one of Holmberg, Minten, Dewar, or even Domi step up and can become a viable 3C, while Kampf rebounds a bit, from a down year.

Pretty much. I'm high and biased on Holmberg so I think the Leafs have a good one there. I think Wennberg was a good fit at that price/term but he had a hard time producing with the Rangers so maybe it was a good pass... I don't know.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Pretty much. I'm high and biased on Holmberg so I think the Leafs have a good one there. I think Wennberg was a good fit at that price/term but he had a hard time producing with the Rangers so maybe it was a good pass... I don't know.

If Robertson and Dewar sign reasonable contracts, Holmberg may not make the roster.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Minten - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Reaves

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Robertson and Dewar sign reasonable contracts, Holmberg may not make the roster.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Minten - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Reaves

He'll make it over Minten right now for me, but obviously everything is dependent on performance and health. Holmberg isn't waiver exempt anymore either, whereas Minten is... so it'll take for some big time games from Minten to keep him over him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You can see glimpses of a really good player in Holmberg... there are moments... but he needs to take a step forward and do that consistently. That would be huge for us though. Bulk up a little... like 5-10 pounds and some strength would be huge for him.... work on the faceoffs. Work on being consistent.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
What's up with Tyler Johnson, is he cooked? Could he be a value add? Right shot C for the bottom 6.. Same with Michael McLeod.

Alex Nylander has to be at least a little bit enticing to try? Obviously doesn't deserve to play with his brother on name alone, but why not get him into the org?

Lots of bargain bin names still out there, but everything's at a stand still. Leafs' have 6 contract slots open, so that is not an issue. It's not like the Marlies are stacked at forward, either. They could use another 3-4 players.

Clearly this means SOMETHINGS cookin' 👀
McLeod is a named player in the WJC sexual abuse trial.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He'll make it over Minten right now for me, but obviously everything is dependent on performance and health. Holmberg isn't waiver exempt anymore either, whereas Minten is... so it'll take for some big time games from Minten to keep him over him.

If the waiver rule is the only thing that keeps Holmberg on the team… then we shouldn’t be too worried about losing him on waivers.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You can see glimpses of a really good player in Holmberg... there are moments... but he needs to take a step forward and do that consistently. That would be huge for us though. Bulk up a little... like 5-10 pounds and some strength would be huge for him.... work on the faceoffs. Work on being consistent.

I think people forget that Holmberg is 25 years old instead of 20 or 21. The odds of him making significant improvements is pretty low.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the waiver rule is the only thing that keeps Holmberg on the team… then we shouldn’t be too worried about losing him on waivers.

I think people forget that Holmberg is 25 years old instead of 20 or 21. The odds of him making significant improvements is pretty low.

I disagree completely. He's probably not going to be an amazing player but I think he's got another step in consistency and he's already a pretty solid player anyway, especially at his cap hit. He took some good steps last year, so no reason to think he can't continue an upwards trend. There isn't a magical age where people stop developing or being able to take another step.

I like Minten but he'll need to be a whole lot better than Holmberg, or whoever else, to start waiving players. It's not impossible, just unlikely. Minten can do a lot of development in the AHL playing bigger minutes. If Minten comes in training camp and does very well, then of course you start at looking at who can be demoted based on performance -- and that could be Holmberg. Could also be Reaves or Dewar really.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
$666 under the cap lol

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpeg
    IMG_2493.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He also only has 91 NHL games behind him. It's possible to learn how to play. Is he going to make significant improvements athletically... no... but can he LEARN... yes. I appreciate his age, but he's also newer to playing in NA, and at the NHL level. I think he can improve his game quite a bit... if he has that capability in him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If only our guys could be like that.
While I agree... let's see when Drai and McDavid are up for their next contracts... and whether they are taking discounts. Hyman didn't take a discount at the time, that is for sure. That a few lesser, older guys did... it's true, but it isn't their "core" doing it either. I mean, guys like Gio, and Spezza have certainly done that here... Tavares might next as well.... but the true story is when Drai and McDavid do their next contracts.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
While I agree... let's see when Drai and McDavid are up for their next contracts... and whether they are taking discounts. Hyman didn't take a discount at the time, that is for sure. That a few lesser, older guys did... it's true, but it isn't their "core" doing it either. I mean, guys like Gio, and Spezza have certainly done that here... Tavares might next as well.... but the true story is when Drai and McDavid do their next contracts.

Add Bouchard to that list too

Also Nurse mostly definitely didn’t take a discount

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Ad

Ad