Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Hayton was qualified, he’s an RFA for Utah so we can’t just sign him. I’d be open to trading for him though for sure.

If the Leafs could somehow manage to get Barrett Hayton out of Utah, that would be a near perfect add as somebody that can be your #3 centre today, and most likely grow into a #2 role shortly.

However, with the exception of Marner, there isn't really a lot that the Leafs have which would be objectively interesting to Utah....Robertson+ doesn't get it done, simply because of the number of their own prospects that they have.

Not sure how I feel about moving Liljegren for him... but that's a piece which could theoretically work especiall if Hayton's contract comes in under $3m.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If the Leafs could somehow manage to get Barrett Hayton out of Utah, that would be a near perfect add as somebody that can be your #3 centre today, and most likely grow into a #2 role shortly.

However, with the exception of Marner, there isn't really a lot that the Leafs have which would be objectively interesting to Utah....

Not sure how I feel about moving Liljegren for him.

I’m thinking frost

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pretty sure the Leafs specifically signed OEL to give Liljegren a partner that he is comfortable with.

Have we considered the possibility that Berube watched Liljegren and decided there a real player there?

Why? They don’t seem to compliment each others games at all?

Because they are from the same country?
I don’t think they ever played together, although I could be wrong on that.

Mirtle/cj both said that the word was they were trying to trade Lilly still.

And gave him a big bonus now to make him cheaper

Reactions: IPS

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I’m thinking frost

Yeah he wouldn't be a bad addition either... might be easier to acquire given that Hayton played with Keller & Schmaltz when he wasn't hurt last year.

Maybe lacks some of the offensive upside that goes with Hayton, but probably a better fit as an immediate 3rd line centre. The concept of a year from now, it being Matthews-Frost-Domi down the middle isn't bad.

As well, you look at Philadelphia's D right now...and while they do have Drysdale, the concept of having Risto, Liljegren, Drysdale and Johnson on the right side is reasonably solid.

The one challenge is, given the presence of Drysdale, it would seem that they're probably n greater need of a centre than a defenceman.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah he wouldn't be a bad addition either... might be easier to acquire given that Hayton played with Keller & Schmaltz when he wasn't hurt last year.

Maybe lacks some of the offensive upside that goes with Hayton, but probably a better fit as an immediate 3rd line centre. The concept of a year from now, it being Matthews-Frost-Domi down the middle isn't bad.

As well, you look at Philadelphia's D right now...and while they do have Drysdale, the concept of having Risto, Liljegren, Drysdale and Johnson on the right side is reasonably solid.

The one challenge is, given the presence of Drysdale, it would seem that they're probably n greater need of a centre than a defenceman.

My understanding is that torts and frost didn’t really get along (I could be wrong)

Philly has tons of forwards.
I don’t know how many play c them. But thhey have a bunch and need another D

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Pretty sure the Leafs specifically signed OEL to give Liljegren a partner that he is comfortable with.

Have we considered the possibility that Berube watched Liljegren and decided there a real player there?

The Leafs signed OEL to give themselves flexibility, IMO.

Had this team been:

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Hakanpaa
Benoit-Liljegren

They would be in a position where they couldnt trade Liljegren without getting a defenceman back.

They're now in a position where they can keep him and have a pretty deep D or they could trade him, without neccessarily needing to get a defenceman back right away.

As another poster mentioned, they apparently also did a bit of funny business with his contract, loading up a signing bonus in year 1, making him an attractive trade target.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

However, with the exception of Marner, there isn't really a lot that the Leafs have which would be objectively interesting to Utah....Robertson+ doesn't get it done, simply because of the number of their own prospects that they have.

Not sure how I feel about moving Liljegren for him... but that's a piece which could theoretically work especiall if Hayton's contract comes in under $3m.
Yeah I don’t think Robertson is of much interest for Utah. You’re probably looking at a Liljegren for Hayton swap.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'd keep Cowan away and use him on ELC for 3 yrs in the last 3 years of Matthews' contract so we get a chance to really load up and avoid a scenario when he is RFA looking for an increase in the last year of Matthews' deal.

We really gotta be strategic!
I’m no contract expert, but I’ve read there are merits both ways.
My feeling is if he’s good enough to play lots, play him.
I’d be curious about the teams long term plan for him…..centre would be optimal, in which case another full year at C wouldn’t hurt.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The opening night line-up from last year had:
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Liljegren

Samsonov
Woll

Without anything else happening, the Leafs are basically a McMann replacing Bertuzzi and some low cost random FA add like Labanc coming in from being set. I know it's early in FA still, but I'm getting worried about the lack of turnover up front.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
The opening night line-up from last year had:
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Liljegren

Samsonov
Woll

Without anything else happening, the Leafs are basically a McMann replacing Bertuzzi and some low cost random FA add like Labanc coming in from being set. I know it's early in FA still, but I'm getting worried about the lack of turnover up front.

It's not early in free agency. Basically anybody of note or potential impact have been swept up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They aren't even willing to do that

A full roster and your only willing to open up 3 guys for a trade? We're not even willing to trade most of the supporting cast

What have any of these guys done that makes them untouchable? NTC I can understand but why isn't everything on the table?

It's not like our results are so good we should be afraid of being bold and making some changes

It’s a media speculation piece. I wouldn’t read anything into it. If someone offered a great deal on other players, of course they listen.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why? They don’t seem to compliment each others games at all?

Because they are from the same country?
I don’t think they ever played together, although I could be wrong on that.

Mirtle/cj both said that the word was they were trying to trade Lilly still.

And gave him a big bonus now to make him cheaper

Why would they not complement each other?

I do believe that being Swedish plays a role, Liljegren has always seemed like someone who is more comfortable around his countrymen. Frankly, with some of the conclusions drawn here, I don't think this one is outlandish at all.

I noticed his SB. But the leafs also give SBs to almost all their players.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The Leafs signed OEL to give themselves flexibility, IMO.

Had this team been:

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Hakanpaa
Benoit-Liljegren

They would be in a position where they couldnt trade Liljegren without getting a defenceman back.

They're now in a position where they can keep him and have a pretty deep D or they could trade him, without neccessarily needing to get a defenceman back right away.

As another poster mentioned, they apparently also did a bit of funny business with his contract, loading up a signing bonus in year 1, making him an attractive trade target.

I would not pencil Hakanpaa into the opening night roster. I think they're going to sign and LTIR him at some point.

Even with OEL, they are not particularly deep.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Why would they not complement each other?

I do believe that being Swedish plays a role, Liljegren has always seemed like someone who is more comfortable around his countrymen. Frankly, with some of the conclusions drawn here, I don't think this one is outlandish at all.

I noticed his SB. But the leafs also give SBs to almost all their players.
With OEL and Lily, there is potentially a gap in both physicality/size and defensive acumen against strong competition - as a second pairing that's not great. I have a lot of respect for McCabe and Benny, but if they're the second pairing there needs to be a tandem in the bottom four.

If Lily takes a big leap then it might be alright.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
With OEL and Lily, there is potentially a gap in both physicality/size and defensive acumen against strong competition - as a second pairing that's not great. I have a lot of respect for McCabe and Benny, but if they're the second pairing there needs to be a tandem in the bottom four.

If Lily takes a big leap then it might be alright.

OEL was a major reason why the Panthers were able to manage their Ekblad and Montour injuries last season, so I don't think he will be an issue playing top 4 competition. I wonder if his minutes were mostly with Forsling. And maybe that's something the leafs are looking to recreate.

I've got the same issue with Benoit. But I think it's what they believe and have no choice but to accept their assessment.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
OEL wasn't brought in to play with Lili imo. They probably want 1 defensive minded guy and 1 offensive minded guy.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Lili
OEL-Benoit/Hakkanpaa

Seems like the most logical pairs

Reactions: LeafParade

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
OEL was a major reason why the Panthers were able to manage their Ekblad and Montour injuries last season, so I don't think he will be an issue playing top 4 competition. I wonder if his minutes were mostly with Forsling. And maybe that's something the leafs are looking to recreate.

I've got the same issue with Benoit. But I think it's what they believe and have no choice but to accept their assessment.
Players can briefly elevate to step up for injuries but if it was a large chunk of the season that's good to hear. If OEL comes better than advertised that would help.

I just picture OEL and Lily being our second pairing next playoffs and trying to get out of the Atlantic - they would both need to be rolling pretty good.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
McCabe and Liljegren struggled everytime Keefe tried them together.
They actually played decently together last year but got a little unlucky with the shooting% against. In 205 minutes together:

56.5% shots for
61% expected goals
58% scoring chances for
64% high danger chances for

Now they did have more offensive zone starts than normal, but they didn't let it go back the other way too often and they clogged up the neutral zone.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I do think OEL will play with Liljegren as things stand.

Liljegren is not an offensive defenseman, he’s a two way guy who is okay at a lot of things without having a standout skill.

One of his biggest weaknesses is being pressured when he has the puck in the defensive zone. When he’s partnered with a guy like Benoit or Edmundson, that’s a huge problem because the other team knows Liljegren will be relied upon to move the puck and can send all their forechecking at him.

OEL actually gives him a partner who can also move the puck.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
OEL-Liljegren would be a horribly flawed pairing that would get eaten up bad against any good competition. No idea what some of you are thinking.

OEL-Benoit is gonna be the bottom pairing.

Reactions: LeafParade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad