Do the Florida Panthers have what it takes to repeat next year?

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
If they make it back to the finals it will be the the western team who wins the cup.
Less depth, most game played in the last two years, not a lot of cap space to fill the holes at trade dead line.
Losing Stenlund, Lomborghini, Tank, OEL and Monty is a hard blow. Especially for their price tag last year.

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
It could be a situation where we don’t repeat but we maintain a good enough team where we will be back to contend like those Hawks or Kings teams. So maybe in 2 years etc type of thing. While part of this is wishful thinking from me, having Bill Zito on our side is a major major plus I think. He should be a good enough reason to think it’s possible.
I agree - it's the loss of our depth, and the wear and tear of two deep runs, particularly given the way we play.

I think we maybe win a playoff round or two next year, but then back to real contention the year after, or after that. With our core, I feel like we have around a five year window and am cautiously optimistic (In Zito We Trust) that we win another in that timespan. But probably not next year. Although it would be SO cool...

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
The only team in the Atlantic that is equipped to beat them right now is Boston. I would add Tampa if Vasi comes back to what he was 3 years ago but even that is doubtful now. Leafs have just been getting older and slower every year and their core players don’t match up well with Florida’s forecheck and puck harassment. Leafs goaltending is also not on par with the Panthers. Florida is the favourite to come out of the Atlantic Division again and that makes them at least 50/50 to make the finals.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I reckon strong chance of ECF, beyond that hard to say given how hard winning a cup is let alone back to back.

Maybe a third straight cup visit might be a stretch, will their players have enough juice for a third consecutive run?

While they have some offseason departures they have all their core pieces, so can load up by TDL.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Even if Florida got arguably slightly worse, nobody in the east improved much. Its still a conference filled with garbage teams.

They should at least be representing the east in the SCF again.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Even if Florida got arguably slightly worse, nobody in the east improved much. Its still a conference filled with garbage teams.

They should at least be representing the east in the SCF again.

1 team has made the Final 3 straight years since the mid-80's Oilers dynasty. At least is a very strong phrase. They almost blew a 3-0 series lead in the Final. They beat the Rangers by a goal in the last couple games. Last couple wins against the Bruins were by a goal. Those outcomes could've been different with a bounce.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Possibly, but I'll always take the field over any given team. There are probably 6-8 contenders in any given year and puck luck / variance plays a larger role than some might care to admit. I'd put their odds at < 20% (which is true of any team).

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Florida has done a good job rebuilding the defensive pairings this offseason with little cap after Reinhart & Lundell re-signed.

While no replacement is peak Montour of 22-23 they got Schmidt for dirt cheap, taking a flyer on Boqvist and then have guys like Balinskis and Bjornfot that can possibly be sheltered on the 3rd.

The core up front is still under 30 and still in their prime

Barkov will be 29, Bennett, 28, Reinhart 29, Tkachuk 27 and Verhaeghe 29 for the 24-25 season. Add in Lundell at 23 and role players like Luostarinen at 26.
What will help their chances is if someone like Mackie Samoskevich can impress and contribute in the top 9. If they can role 3 lines with scoring threats and their forecheck ability that will give them an edge in a series.

I think in the playoffs they have a chance.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
1 team has made the Final 3 straight years since the mid-80's Oilers dynasty. At least is a very strong phrase. They almost blew a 3-0 series lead in the Final. They beat the Rangers by a goal in the last couple games. Last couple wins against the Bruins were by a goal. Those outcomes could've been different with a bounce.
On their last 2 runs alone they've beaten everyone there is to beat in the east. Carolina got worse. The Rangers are pretenders who ride a hot goalie. Toronto shuffled some deck chairs on the titanic. Tampa is good but age and the cap have caught up to them. NJ got better but I still question if they've got that dawg in them until they prove it.

Boston adding Lindholm & Zadorov, and putting their eggs in the Swayman basket, is the only team that looks like a threat

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Judging from his days as a Sabre the idea that Montour of all players would be the deciding factor for a cup win seems very strange to me.
Then again, playing for the Sabres apparently does weird things to players and they seem to be decisively better once they're on a different team.

I fully expect Skinner or Mittelstadt to win the cup next.

Reactions: MaWa and Laus723

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Considering they have been to the finals 2 years in a row, going there a third time is probably unlikely. They seemed pretty healthy though.

They haven’t really improved but could at the deadline. All kinds of deals like Tarasenko fell in their lap and could again.

I don’t think much of the rest of their division or the east have improved either though. They are still as good as anyone in the east. Who knows if the hunger/motivation will be there.

Reactions: Sideline

Sideline

May 23, 2004
It is very hard to go in multiple deep playoff runs in consecutive years. The Avalanche, Lightning, Leafs, Golden Knights, Jets, and Predators were healthy and starting offseason workouts while the Panthers and Oilers were still getting beaten up playing with serious injuries.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
On their last 2 runs alone they've beaten everyone there is to beat in the east. Carolina got worse. The Rangers are pretenders who ride a hot goalie. Toronto shuffled some deck chairs on the titanic. Tampa is good but age and the cap have caught up to them. NJ got better but I still question if they've got that dawg in them until they prove it.

Boston adding Lindholm & Zadorov, and putting their eggs in the Swayman basket, is the only team that looks like a threat

That's great. 1 team in the last 40 years. There was no cap, no real free agency, money wasn't as big an issue 40 years ago. And 76% of the league made the playoffs, which would be the equivalent of Seattle or Calgary making it last year.

Could Florida do it? Sure. But they should at least get to the Final again? That is a tall order, no matter how good Florida is. Bob is 36 in Sept. Reinhart is a career average 30g guy(even with the Panthers prior to last year) who jumped to 60 in his UFA year. Can he do that again? Does Florida need him to do that again? Only time will tell.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The Panthers have been one of the best teams in the league the past 4 years, kept their top 6 forward group and starting goalie, while losing their much loved but very replaceable 4th liners and a 2nd and 3rd pairing dman. Nate Schmidt will bounce back because that's what Florida does so they lost their 4th line and 1 dman. They're still the East favorites.

If you disagree with the above, who got better? Canes got way worse, Florida stomped the Bruins and Rangers, the only reason those series' were even close were because of their goalies, did they do anything to improve? Bruins got Lindholm but lost Debrusk, is Zadorov going to close the gap enough? Do the Rangers still employ Florida's best player Trouba? Should any team be scared of Toronto in the playoffs?

Even if you think Florida's worse, who knocks them out from the East this year? West is a thunderdome vs East.
Easy to say those fourth liners are "easily replaceable", fortunes change quick. Theres also a lot of handwaving about a guy that averaged 24 minutes a night for them on defense suddenly gone, including his 11 in 23 games in the playoffs from the blueline. If they want any shot at repeating they're going to have to find some better play out of Ekblad, too.

That said, that top six i'd put against anyone, lots of finishing ability and hard workers up there. You don't have to be the best team all year, just the best team at the right time, and they absolutely have the tools to do that part.

Reactions: Walksss

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Game 1 and 7, he was definitely the reason they won. Regardless, I said the biggest reason. Not the only reason. You can’t win with one player. The Panthers deserved the Cup with how everyone on the team played. That includes Bob, who imo was the best player on the ice in most of the series.

Not really. He just had a couple games where the Oilers made him look human and cratered his SV%

He stole the Panthers 2 games in the finals. Skinner didn’t steal the Oilers a single one. That’s the difference. Such a weird thing to get defensive about. It’s not an insult to say your goalie was awesome

True. He did only play 108 regular season games over the last 2 years, but it’s still a lot of mileage.

Barkov was the biggest reason in that series.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad