Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is what's happening in Carolina. They wouldn't re-sign Skjei, Pesce, Hamilton, Niederreiter, Trocheck, Teravainen, potentially Necas.

They aren't saying no to expensive free agents to replace those they let walk. We've let plenty of free agents walk... So I don't understand the argument here.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Like if we look around the division....Boston and Tampa have both improved considerably over last season. Ottawa has got Ullmark now, Detroit was right there last year. I am not saying we are going to fall out of the playoffs....but with the way we are spending our money? I just won't be shocked is all lol
The Red wings finished 11 points behind us, Ottawa finished 24 points behind us.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If you anticipate Matthews putting up a 70 goal/selke season again then they will be roughly the same up front. If you factor in the likely regression from Tavares and Matthews then they are in worse shape. Bertuzzi is also a big loss.

He’s really not imo.
Also I don’t think we should presume Matthew’s and Tavares production should be altogether too different

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As of now, they have 7 1/2 million dollars left to spend. They need to sign Dewar, Robertson, another goalie, another defenceman, and a decent forward.

Hmmmm

The bargain bin will get plenty of phone calls. Dewar is going to be cheap. Robertson cheap or punted.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
They aren't saying no to expensive free agents to replace those they let walk. We've let plenty of free agents walk... So I don't understand the argument here.
Carolina hasn't brought in a ton of risky UFA's. They signed Orlov to 7.75Mx2 which was high AAV, fairly low risk. They signed Bunting to a fair deal given his production. MY argument is they are the example of saying "no" to bad contracts. Kotkaniemi is an outlier on their books.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Carolina hasn't brought in a ton of risky UFA's. They signed Orlov to 7.75Mx2 which was high AAV, fairly low risk. They signed Bunting to a fair deal given his production. MY argument is they are the example of saying "no" to bad contracts. Kotkaniemi is an outlier on their books.

Bunting wasn't good at all, punted in the first year of his contract. Orlov has been terrible, but the short-term deal saved them. If they want to replace the players the let walk this season, it's going to cost them a lot more than you think. If they say no to a lot of players, they will not be very good. We'll see what they do.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He’s really not imo.
Also I don’t think we should presume Matthew’s and Tavares production should be altogether too different
Bertuzzi won his minutes no matter who his linemates were (outside of Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander). To the eye he wasn't spectacular but his on-ice results were elite.

He also lead the team in playoff scoring and was directly responsible for their only goal in game 7.

I will gladly take a bet that Matthews/Tavares combine for less than 98 goals/172 points!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad