Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm almost 100% sure that the leafs have a contract offer on the table for Tarasenko.

If they made a pitch for Jeff Skinner to play with Mathews and Marner, im sure they made the same pitch to Tarasenko. I don't see why they wouldnt

But clearly tarasenko wants to go back to Florida and see if the panthers can make something happen first

We really don't have the cap space... I doubt he gets much less than $4-5 million, and the maneuvering that gets us that kind of cap space is quite a bit of work.

Even assuming we move out Kampf/Reaves/Jarnkrok/Timmins/Robertson for picks only and replace them with entry level contracts, we still only get up to around $4.4 mil in cap space..and that's running Domi/Holmberg/Minten as one of our two C's....

I don't think it's going to happen.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Bertuzzi got 4 years 5.5M AAV. Tarasenko is older and whatever but he produced better, and now has his 2nd cup ring. I think if you go 3-4 years at around 5M AAV, it might just be enough.

But then... How the hell do the Leafs make the space to accommodate that?

Trade Lilly and Kampf for Jack McBain and Michael Carcone. Saves us $3M, solves our 3C.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Sweet idea, but it seems that's not going to happen, so time to move on from that idea.

BTW... Tarasenko won't be resigning in Florida. Barring trades, they no longer have any capspace.

""

Not true at all. It's still VERY possible, if the Leafs don't demand a big return and play HARDBALL with Marner.

Fat chance, I know, but it's still possible.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How does that solve 3C? McBain is no better offensively than Kampf, and he’s much weaker defensively.

I think McBain is better offensively than Kampf, though agree he is weaker defensively, and certainly not that great at faceoffs. I'd be comfortable with McBain as our 4C, if we had the room to obtain a 2C/3C.

Could we make a trade for McBain, moving out Kampf... sure, but that premise is based upon Minten being capable of taking over the defensive role of Kampf, and I'd really doubt that is the case yet... maybe a midseason move, if Minten is ready? Utah has used Kerfoot as one of their top PK"s... and used him at C a great deal... I can see their desire to upgrade there midseason... I don't think it's prudent to make such a move now though.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
How does that solve 3C? McBain is no better offensively than Kampf, and he’s much weaker defensively.

How do you figure he's no better than Kampf offensively? He's played less and has matched Kampf's career high already. Point made on being defensive, but we're trading Kampf anyway and not likely to get someone just as good defensively back, so you hope our D can compensate and roll Holmberg as the 4C.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
As it stands right now, who’s killing penalties?
Kampf
Marner
Dewar?
Holmberg?
Jarnkrok?

Tanev
Benoit?
McCabe?
Hakanpaa?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trade Lilly and Kampf for Jack McBain and Michael Carcone. Saves us $3M, solves our 3C.

Not entirely impossible, but not sure Kampf has any sort of value in this.
As it stands right now, who’s killing penalties?
Kampf
Marner
Dewar?
Holmberg?
Jarnkrok?

Tanev
Benoit?
McCabe?
Hakanpaa?

Knies and Matthews will likely do reps, especially Knies. If Minten makes the team he could be in that as well.

Top PK minutes on defense will go to Tanev and McCabe 100%. Then Hakanpaa, Rielly, Benoit and Liljegren.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Looking around the league, Florida really sticks out as a team who’s missing a RHD on their roster.

I wonder if Liljergren for Luostarinen makes sense.
There's a basis for a trade that makes sense where Florida gets Liljegren, team X gets Knight and Toronto gets a similar asset from team X. I just can't figure out who team X is in this situation. Possible Edmonton and McLeod.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Get rid of some of the bottom 6 forwards and play the kids and live with it.

Trade:
Kampf
Jarncrok
Dewar
Lily

Get a top 6 Winger or 2/3 Centre

Give each of these guys a run of games:
Minten
Greb
Cowan

It’s not a cup year. Build and develop.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would do Robertson for Hayton straight up. I think Hayton would be able to bounce back playing with McMann and Nylander on the third line.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Given that Marner almost certainly isn't moving, I hope he comes into camp ready to silence everyone. He's an important piece, whether or not some in the fanbase want to admit it.

Given he's not a "speed" guy, so much as a dancer, I wish he'd get in the gym and bulk up some. We need him confident, and going to high danger areas on the ice with the puck. He forgot he was afraid, once, in that Boston series, and the puck went in the net.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Not much left in free agency, surprisingly a majority of the players were scooped up after day 1… Nylander might be worth taking a look at, Blais would be a solid cheap 4th line left wing open who loves to play physical but other than that I don’t really have any interest in others.

Roslovic doesn’t interest me very much. He’s solid offensively but bad defensively, he sucks playing down the middle and better suited on the wing. Don’t really see a fit with him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So we trade Lilly, and have the following as Right D...

Tanev, Hakanpaa (maybe?), Myers, Mermis, Niemela... and McCabe who can play both sides, but is a Lefty.

We have plenty of posts questioning the health of this group... Is this the RD you all want, after trading Lilly? Assuming Hakanpaa signs, or can play?

Lilly isn't getting traded at this point...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad