Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Trading mccabe at 2M to get a RHD mccabe at 6M???

Oh I never said trade McCabe, didn't realize that's where the conversation came from

Atlantic is gonna be a bloodbath again next season.

sddefault.jpg

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Tampa coldly traded sergachev after signing him and won't re sign there two time cup winning cha.o and made moves to get better and younger.

Our f***ing idiotic management is running it back again.

God the incompetence is baffling.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He played over 19 minutes/game. That’s closer to 2nd pair than 3rd. He’s projected at 4M+ by both AFP and EvolvingHockey. He most likely gets 3+.

Assuming he gets 3, which he deserves, and the Leafs sign one more top 4D - why pay that much for a 3rd pair D who you don’t trust in the playoffs?
If they had trusted him in the playoffs, they might have gotten better results.

Luckily arbitrators typically don't reward guys based on ice time without the offensive results, and while I agree his value would be closer to $4M from those places you mentioned, I have yet to see a defensemen of his type get that kind of jump in salary.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
If we sign Tanev, we need to be careful with the following defensive acquisition that it doesn't push us too far in the struggle to move the puck territory.

I like Zadorov as a player but not sure I like committing that type of money to a guy that's strengths are physicality, big shot, strength in front of the net right after signing Tanev. I would rather get someone that is better at retrieving pucks and being able to really turn it up the ice with some speed.
Montour then?

Reactions: weems

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Keep in mind the cap may take a serious jump after the next two years. This year and next it is capped to increase by 5%. After that all bets are off so it could go up much more.
Years 4 through 6 you could be looking a cap pushing near 110 or more. So 4 million might not mean a lot by then.

Reactions: Burnie97

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tampa coldly traded sergachev after signing him and won't re sign there two time cup winning cha.o and made moves to get better and younger.

Our f***ing idiotic management is running it back again.

God the incompetence is baffling.

Pretty easy to do if you have a modified no trade or no trade protection to work with. So all the screaming is for nothing. The guy we wanna move has trade protections. Sucks but that’s our reality.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Pretty easy to do if you have a modified no trade or no trade protection to work with. So all the screaming is for nothing. The guy we wanna move has trade protections. Sucks but that’s our reality.
Um Marner didn't have shit in terms of protection last year. Tampa traded serg with ten days left in terms of his protection. And not to mention when McDonagh had protection he was still traded to Nash cus the gm said too bad it's what we are going to do.

Our reality is that we have incompetence running the team and that's that

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa and Toronto aren’t the same.

Tampa could trade Sergachev because he doesn’t have a no movement clause. All of Toronto’s core 5 have it.

Stamkos isn’t gone yet, but they didn’t move him, he is going to free agency, something that the Leafs would gladly do with Tavares but can’t this year.

Sergachev is a great player but like the leafs, he wasn’t part of Tampa’s core 5. It was Kucherov, Vas, Hedman, Stamkos and Point as their best and highest paid players. Probably have Hagel there too. Like Toronto’s in Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Um Marner didn't have shit in terms of protection last year. Tampa traded serg with ten days left in terms of his protection. And not to mention when McDonagh had protection he was still traded to Nash cus the gm said too bad it's what we are going to do.

Our reality is that we have incompetence running the team and that's that

Again not the same situation. McDonagh was in his mid 30’s and the team was going to put him on waivers.

The leafs would never put Marner on waivers, so they don’t have the same leverage or pressure points to use. Good try! Try again tho haha

Reactions: Forgotusername

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah, like Brodie was. Ooooooooooookay.

I believe the cap this year is 88 so 96 is just below a 10% increase on that. You can shrug it off and pretend it's nothing to worry about but 3-4 million is still more than just a little bit significant.
I just don't think this will be a contract that anyone will ever complain about when they watch the player. Now,a guy like Montour? That will be a terrible contract.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think there a world where both could be had. Probably more difficult to convince OEL to come back to Canada after his little Florida cup run. One thing OEL does well with his wing span and long stick is he can be deceptive with his body positioning and change angles on his point shot. We never have that kind of awareness on D and he could be helpful on special teams. Brannstrom would be a decent reclamation project.

Reactions: weems

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tampa and Toronto aren’t the same.

Tampa could trade Sergachev because he doesn’t have a no movement clause. All of Toronto’s core 5 have it.

Stamkos isn’t gone yet, but they didn’t move him, he is going to free agency, something that the Leafs would gladly do with Tavares but can’t this year.

Sergachev is a great player but like the leafs, he wasn’t part of Tampa’s core 5. It was Kucherov, Vas, Hedman, Stamkos and Point as their best and highest paid forwards. Probably have Hagel there too. Like Toronto’s in Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly.
They just acquired rights to Guentzel. They look like they are reloading for another run.

Reactions: rumman

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don’t really understand the whole sequence. It’s like they went through all that trouble to basically upgrade to Guentzel from Stamkos. At the cost of Sergachev who looked like he might be Hedman’s heir last year.

They also got some good young pieces in Geekie and Moser

Adding some offers I’ve depth overall but it does leave a gap in their blue line. I wonder if they go hunting in free agency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad