Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm going to guess Liljegren goes to Seattle. They have a hole on 2/3RD and they seem to value players with good advanced numbers. His value seems incredibly diminished by the fact that he could get 3M+ in arbitration.

I woudn't be surprised if a deal is centered around Kartye or Winterton. Potentially Robertson+Liljegren for Kartye+Winterton.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
IMO there's a good argument to be made for trading Marner for pennies but whatever. And 2025-25 is more than likely to be a similar outcome, Tavares being gone isn't going to magically cure what's wrong with this team.
Lising marner and JT leave two questionable playoff underperforming core members, one could hope that wakes them up, but it’s no guarantee…….

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I asked you why you're not worried about aging issues.
I'm not sure I see a big issue. Tanev will make between 3 and 4 million. It just won't be a big enough number to worry much about when the cap is $96 million. He'll be a lower-pair defenseman that will still be effective at penalty killing even when his foot speed is gone.

Reactions: francis246

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm going to guess Liljegren goes to Seattle. They have a hole on 2/3RD and they seem to value players with good advanced numbers. His value seems incredibly diminished by the fact that he could get 3M+ in arbitration.

I woudn't be surprised if a deal is centered around Kartye or Winterton. Potentially Robertson+Liljegren for Kartye+Winterton.
I’d trade him for Tanev and some sweetener…….

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
FWIW it would be

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Parayko

If those are the guys we had. Tanev is a far better partner for Reilly’s style. Parayko can move the puck quite well, and excels with a strong defensive partner as well.
Personally I think Parayko lines up really well with Rielly's play as he moves the puck better than Tanev. Neither guy (Rielly or Parayko)have ever had a partner as good as the other one though so hard to tell how they would mesh. Either way it would be a good problem to have.

Reactions: Duffman955

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I’d trade him for Tanev and some sweetener…….

Yep I also see B. Tanev to be someone the Leafs target by the next trade deadline. I would not be shocked that he could be someone they get soon.

Reactions: rumman

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hilarious watching how aggressive a team like Tampa has been. They win b2b and make the finals 3 times in a row. Get bounced in round 1 b2b years and they decide to overhaul trading Serg, and likely not even re-signing THEIR CAPTAIN, and are in on the biggest FA. Now THAT is a serious organization. What we have here is a circus. They're not serious at all.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not sure I see a big issue. Tanev will make between 3 and 4 million. It just won't be a big enough number to worry much about when the cap is $96 million. He'll be a lower-pair defenseman that will still be effective at penalty killing even when his foot speed is gone.
Yeah, like Brodie was. Ooooooooooookay.

I believe the cap this year is 88 so 96 is just below a 10% increase on that. You can shrug it off and pretend it's nothing to worry about but 3-4 million is still more than just a little bit significant.

Reactions: PromisedLand

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Hilarious watching how aggressive a team like Tampa has been. They win b2b and make the finals 3 times in a row. Get bounced in round 1 b2b years and they decide to overhaul trading Serg, and likely not even re-signing THEIR CAPTAIN, and are in on the biggest FA. Now THAT is a serious organization. What we have here is a circus. They're not serious at all.

Doesn't mean its the right think to do

Reactions: Forgotusername

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Play hard on the ice, hard in the boardroom, how refreshing……

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
It's gong to be a roster player, 1st round pick and a 3rd type trade imo. You can just never get fair value for superstars. If we could get a young star player in return, I'm open minded to it, but I just don't see it happening.
I'll just take picks and prospects for him. Getting some value and assets from him is a lot better than just letting him walk next year.

If Tre only wants picks and prospects in any Marner trade. I could see a team willing to give that up for just 1 year of Marner but a fully year. The biggest issue is getting him to waive his NMC

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Why would he get $3M+ in arb?

The only guys that usually jump that much are guys that put up big offensive numbers and Liljegren has not done that to this point.

I have him at 1 lx $1.9M or 2 x$2.5M max and at that point you keep him unless you somehow acquire 3 better RHD. No point in adding Tanev just to remove Liljegren for no reason.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So you're happy with basically getting shitall for a 100 point player who's also good defensively loll. We really don't deserve great players I swear
How can you say that when you don’t know what player, pick or prospect is involved in this supposed deal? Why not admit it, you wouldn’t trade Marner for anything……..

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Friedman stated in his 32 thoughts blog that trading Marner would be a mistake. Cant trade of incredible talent like that

Have to assume Berube wants to work with him and see if he can do something with him

Reactions: Sypher04

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Doesn't mean its the right think to do
So you'd prefer them to just continue with status quo and hope for something to magically change like what we're doin here?

To each their own.

They were in the same situation with Serg as we were with Mitch last season. The year before their NTC kick in. Tampa decided to strike quick, while the Leafs decided to stick with what they know hasnt worked.

Friedman stated in his 32 thoughts blog that trading Marner would be a mistake. Cant trade of incredible talent like that

Have to assume Berube wants to work with him and see if he can do something with him
The media corporations that own this team are working overdrive to change the narrative.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Which, regardless of what fans on a message board think, is completely fair. You have a hundred point player who's an elite playmaker, kills penalties, etc,.

The new coach wanting to work with that guy makes perfect sense, and if Marner doesn't want to waive, so be it. We roll into the season looking forward under new leadership and try to establish the identity Berube is trying to impart on the group.

Reactions: Sypher04

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

We've won one round in nine attempts with that incredible talent ?

If only Marner was faster, bigger, stronger and not afraid of contact.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'll just take picks and prospects for him. Getting some value and assets from him is a lot better than just letting him walk next year.

If Tre only wants picks and prospects in any Marner trade. I could see a team willing to give that up for just 1 year of Marner but a fully year. The biggest issue is getting him to waive his NMC
I don't want to trade Marner for picks and prospects during the Matthews window. It makes no sense to me.

If the Leafs trade Marner, they need a new high end forward. Who would be the leafs 3rd best point getter after they axe Tavares and Marner? We're looking at Maxi Domi... I mean, it's a huge drop off...

There would need to be a plan to get a new #3 forward i.e a Guentzel or Robert Thomas type. Because I don't see that happening, I think they should keep Marner.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Which, regardless of what fans on a message board think, is completely fair. You have a hundred point player who's an elite playmaker, kills penalties, etc,.

The new coach wanting to work with that guy makes perfect sense, and if Marner doesn't want to waive, so be it. We roll into the season looking forward under new leadership and try to establish the identity Berube is trying to impart on the group.
If you cannot make a trade or he won't waive, what other choice is there ?

He's a 100 point player who turns into a 16 goal/72 point player in the playoffs. Worse in games 5-7.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So you'd prefer them to just continue with status quo and hope for something to magically change like what we're doin here?

To each their own.

They were in the same situation with Serg as we were with Mitch last season. The year before their NTC kick in. Tampa decided to strike quick, while the Leafs decided to stick with what they know hasnt worked.

The media corporations that own this team are working overdrive to change the narrative.

If tampa missed the playoff next season, do we tell it was a good idea to trade sergachev and let go Stamkos.

They made a choice but nobody know if its a good one or a bad one or just doesn't change anything

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Florida did the exact same shit with Huberdeau. President trophy win, they get embarrassed, they recognize that the way they play wont work, and dumped the guy that just scored 115 points and set the assist record for LW because they knew he couldnt cut it come post season time. And that move got them a cup and another final appearance so far.

Still blows my mind the amount of people that are cool with running it back :laugh:

You guys are so scared of making any kind of change or risk. What do we literally have to lose lmao. Its not like we've been successful.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If you cannot make a trade or he won't waive, what other choice is there ?

He's a 100 point player who turns into a 16 goal/72 point player in the playoffs. Worse in games 5-7.
Yeah, that's been what's happened to date. We all know that. The point has been beaten with a 30 pound club.

Reality is, he's more than likely on this team until at least the deadline, nd probably until July 1st, next season, so I hope Berube has a plan to get the best out of him.

I'll cheer for the guy, like I always have, because he's wearing my team's shirt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad