Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

To paraphrase: we have asked him to waive to Utah, he as gone to ask his daddy.

I watched this presser... Tree doesn't exude happiness when talking about Marner. He seems frustrated with the very thought and he doesnt deny the rumors either or defend Marner. His demeanor was "Marner won't waive, so he's on the team next year...nothing we can do".

One of my thoughts was that Marner would refuse to waive and decide to step away from his typical offseason of gaming and golf and try to show up management, in hopes to change their mind.

Tree said Marner is training, makes me believe this was what Marner indicated to them. I'm sure Berube pressed him on his lack of strength too.

Personally, it's too little too late imo. This isn't a player who trains, eats, or competes like a champion. He is only paid like one. We needed him ready for the past 5 years.

Take his A away, play him, make him earn everything minute and let him walk at the end of the year. Do not play him with Matthews.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
July 2. Wondering where the Marner trade is that so many guaranteed here.
How could so many allegedly smart hockey folks get it wrong?
The threats of boycott and booing seems a little insufficient. The world apparently has changed from the days mommy would capitulate after they would hold their breath.

Jun 27, 2005
I've thought of a new strategy for Treliving to send a message loud and clear to Marner that his time has come.

BT should trade for a top 4 Dman in the last year of his term and then resign him long-term starting to use up that available cap space for next season. Or make a big 1 year UFA signing with a follow-up extention in the works for 2026 and beyond when more cap space open up.

The more this type of situation occurs, it will be made clear there will be NO Room for a $12 mil extension for Marner, so there is no use holding out and on hoping, and start accepting his time in TO is over.

This forced leverage maneuver might make Marner and Agent become more willing and on board to work with Tre on a suitable trade to a team that might be willing to meet Marner's future demands.

Essentially Marner can hide behind his NMC this season but with a shrinking Cap space for next year in TO, it would prevent another overpayment and contract mistake and send a clear message that affordability will prevent Marner from achieving his next contract terms. If Leafs only have $8.5 mil free cap projected available you can't afford a $12 mil contract ask now can you?

Marner's own greed $$ the root cause why he priced himself out of Toronto.
This is comedy gold. You are suggesting that the Leafs consume all of Marner and JT's cap hit for next season (with no future ability to clear some up), this season, so that there won't be enough to re-sign them next year forcing Marner into waiving his NMC. Jebus this is hilarious. What kind of mental gymnastics does it take to think that this is a good idea.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I watched this presser... Tree doesn't exude happiness when talking about Marner. He seems frustrated with the very thought and he doesnt deny the rumors either or defend Marner. His demeanor was "Marner won't waive, so he's on the team next year...nothing we can do".

One of my thoughts was that Marner would refuse to waive and decide to step away from his typical offseason of gaming and golf and try to show up management, in hopes to change their mind.

Tree said Marner is training, makes me believe this was what Marner indicated to them. I'm sure Berube pressed him on his lack of strength too.

Personally, it's too little too late imo. This isn't a player who trains, eats, or competes like a champion. He is only paid like one. We needed him ready for the past 5 years.

Take his A away, play him, make him earn everything minute and let him walk at the end of the year. Do not play him with Matthews.
I know it won’t happen but I would like to see Berube give Rielly the C and Tanev and Domi a A. The letters don’t really matter but it would signify change.

Worst case is resign MM for like 8x12.5
12.5 is a 4 yr AAV for Mitchy. He’d want 18.5 x 8

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I know it won’t happen but I would like to see Berube give Rielly the C and Tanev and Domi a A. The letters don’t really matter but it would signify change.
Translation:
The leafs need to learn from this forum. Pettiness is the appropriate way to run an organization. Only after the Leafs start acting like a bitch will they be worthy of winning the cup.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
July 2. Wondering where the Marner trade is that so many guaranteed here.
How could so many allegedly smart hockey folks get it wrong?
The threats of boycott and booing seems a little insufficient. The world apparently has changed from the days mommy would capitulate after they would hold their breath.
Ya I’m disappointed too…….

Reactions: Nineteen67

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Doomsday? Marners current cap hit % puts him north of 12mm. Getting him around 12.5 in light of Willys 11.5 would seem like an inevitability
We need to get these cap percentages down to increase value or remove one of the 4 to balance the team.
it seems that teams that win the cup have players that have a player or 2 that play above their cap hit. Our 4 do not

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Translation:
The leafs need to learn from this forum. Pettiness is the appropriate way to run an organization. Only after the Leafs start acting like a bitch will they be worthy of winning the cup.
Or give it to the guys that must lead the team, if they make the playoffs.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Who should go, Marner vs Tavares

Marner is younger, more productive and plays ES,PP,PK ... while Tavares is much older, plays ES and PP ... IMO as mich as Mitch is this Summers whipping boy ... it makes zero sense to trade a 90 point guy and keep a 65 point guy only to lose both in the next year and have no reasonable replacement for them.

The narrative that he does not score in the playoffs is complete bullshit, the year before he scored 14 points in 11 games. Year before 8 points in 7 games. So the mindless lemming group think that keeps vomiting the same tripe that he is not a playoff performer can stop, it's not factual. He was coming off a significant lower body injury, of course a guy who relies on his edges to be shifty and is coming off a significant injury for an extended period is not going to hit the ground running, Yup, he's a soft player, I'm not big on soft players, my kind of players are more steal your lunch Wendel Clark types but to say this guy is the root of all problems or that his douchy prep school looking face is a reason why we should dump him like yesterdays garbage is simply idiotic.

JT is the guy who should go, if Tampa can say adios to their 40 gaol scoring captain after leading them to and winning two cups.. why can't the Leafs say good bye to their 29 goal scoring Captain, who led them to 6 first round exits?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marner is younger, more productive and plays ES,PP,PK ... while Tavares is much older, plays ES and PP ... IMO as mich as Mitch is this Summers whipping boy ... it makes zero sense to trade a 90 point guy and keep a 65 point guy only to lose both in the next year and have no reasonable replacement for them.

The narrative that he does not score in the playoffs is complete bullshit, the year before he scored 14 points in 11 games. Year before 8 points in 7 games. So the mindless lemming group think that keeps vomiting the same tripe that he is not a playoff performer can stop, it's not factual. He was coming off a significant lower body injury, of course a guy who relies on his edges to be shifty and is coming off a significant injury for an extended period is not going to hit the ground running, Yup, he's a soft player, I'm not big on soft players, my kind of players are more steal your lunch Wendel Clark types but to say this guy is the root of all problems or that his douchy prep school looking face is a reason why we should dump him like yesterdays garbage is simply idiotic.

JT is the guy who should go, if Tampa can say adios to their 40 gaol scoring captain after leading them to and winning two cups.. why can't the Leafs say good bye to their 29 goal scoring Captain, who led them to 6 first round exits?
He is a 16g/72p player in the playoffs.

You are right about Tavares but you are missing the big picture. Marner wants $12.5m on his next deal which should be a non-starter. As such, get something for him rather than let him walk for nothing. The Leafs will poop their pants like they did for Nylander, like Marner does in the playoffs, and shoot themselves by giving him more that Nylander.

People actually thought he would be traded yesterday? :laugh:
He may still go but it was never going to be July 1.
People thought they were beating Boston. Some people thought they could beat Florida and the NYR. One guaranteed they would be playing Carolina in the ECF. LOL.

With Matty and Willie missing games, Marner proved he is not capable of stepping up. He is not somebody you pay $12.5m. He is a more expensive Johnny Hockey and Huberdeau.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The narrative that he does not score in the playoffs is complete bullshit, the year before he scored 14 points in 11 games. Year before 8 points in 7 games
It was great that he turned up against Tampa in both years. Great to watch.

Florida, Montreal, Columbus though, they turned Marner into such a non-factor.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

To paraphrase: we have asked him to waive to Utah, he as gone to ask his daddy.

If you’re a boorish child.

Back to reality. If he doesn’t sign, there will be a building resentment and pressure as the season unfolds, the media will be relentless, you many even hear some boo birds at games. It will simply be untenable, he will either sign or we trade him. I can’t see how we go past the trade deadline wirh Marner poised to walk. Won’t happen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

yup Tampa just said goodbye to Stammer after 16 yrs , 2 cups coming off a 40g/80pt season while the vast majority of this board wants to run Marner out of town and re-sign JT because he posted a pic sleeping in Leaf bedsheets

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
yup Tampa just said goodbye to Stammer after 16 yrs , 2 cups coming off a 40g/80pt season while the vast majority of this board wants to run Marner out of town and re-sign JT because he posted a pic sleeping in Leaf bedsheets
That's your fallacy. I'd gladly move off both but Mitch is the guy to move and get something for because I have zero interest in resigning him. If you buy a lemon, are you gonna double down and buy anther one?

On another note:

Shout out to Nick Kypreos. Where are those 28 teams that were lining up to trade for and pay Mitch Marner $100m?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yesterday morning was the optimal time to trade Marner. He could still be moved, and they may actually be close to something, but there’s not a lot of cap room out there after the league spent $1 billion.

They can’t ice a cap compliant team as of right now, but on paper, this version of the D is the least concerning they’ve ever been. If they make the playoffs, it would be a shame if the core once again prevented them from winning a round.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's your fallacy. I'd gladly move off both but Mitch is the guy to move and get something for because I have zero interest in resigning him. If you buy a lemon, are you gonna double down and buy anther one?

On another note:

Shout out to Nick Kypreos. Where are those 28 teams that were lining up to trade for and pay Mitch Marner $100m?
I said the vast majority wants to re-sign JT , i didn't say everyone

yup we'll just trade Mitch to the highest bidder like he doesn't have a nmc while also getting him to sign an extension with said team to maximize the return then go out and use whatever cap is left over to overpay in the ufa market

did you take a look at the contracts being handed out yesterday ? i'd rather give Mitch his 12m and force JT out the door even if we get nothing back

Yesterday morning was the optimal time to trade Marner. He could still be moved, and they may actually be close to something, but there’s not a lot of cap room out there after the league spent $1 billion.

They can’t ice a cap compliant team as of right now, but on paper, this version of the D is the least concerning they’ve ever been. If they make the playoffs, it would be a shame if the core once again prevented them from winning a round.
did he not have a full nmc yesterday morning ?

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
So how long until Brad announces the trade?

Marner and Robertson (both extended)+ kampf + 3rd rounder to Utah in exchange for Keller, Bjugstad, and a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad