Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Doubt he'd want to come here, but I wouldn't mind Suter on the bottom pair to mentor Lilj/Benoit/Niemela. He'd have to be a bargain, but he's still big, mean and experienced

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kadri with retention for minimum assets back to Calgary would be a great deal for Toronto. I could see Colorado taking a peek too.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I agree in principle. But that has never really worked out for us.
I mean, that's not really true. Trading back got us Grebyonkin. It let us get rid of a contract we didn't want and still get Minten. It got us Hirvonen/Niemela. And that's just in the past few years. It's always good to have more picks. These extra picks being traded are worth more than the spots being lost in this range and draft, and it would be a good way to increase our available draft picks.

Reactions: Rocker13

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
While I like the ideas I don't see Marner waiving to go to a somewhere that's smaller than Mississauga, but nowhere near as nice
There was some smoke a while ago about him getting offer sheeted by them. If Marner only cares about money if they are willing to pay him he may waive for them.

I think at the end of the day, at Marners current cap + Jarnkrok and Kampf we can get better value/welm rounded team.

If theres one thing we have learned, it is putting all out eggs in a few basics is not a recipe for success if they do not perform. Spreading it out gives us a better chance that someone will step up.

😞

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I mean, that's not really true. Trading back got us Grebyonkin. It let us get rid of a contract we didn't want and still get Minten. It got us Hirvonen/Niemela. And that's just in the past few years. These extra picks being traded are worth more than the spots being lost in this range and draft, and it would be a good way to increase our available draft picks.

Hmmm ok grebs yes I would agree. He looks good.

Fair enough. As I said I always agreed with the strategy and said it was a mistake to take a Cowan that early and not go back. But now I wouldn’t risk it for an extra pick.

I was revisiting my position on it. Personally I think we should try to aim for getting more picks in 2025. I guess it depends on who is there at 23.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If theres one thing we have learned, it is putting all out eggs in a few basics is not a recipe for success if they do not perform. Spreading it out gives us a better chance that someone will step up.

😞
Says the guy who proposes a trade of Marner at $10.9, for Werenski at $9.583 million.

Reactions: Smif

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
""

I hesitated to post this... given there will be a bunch of people who think we should give up assets for a C, that's as old as Tavares, and they believe he plays the right way, despite the reason Shanahan and co shipped him out as he was a problem player in the organization for years. Hopefully we don't have to get into the history of Kadri again... anyway... always liked him, understand why he'll never play for a Shanahan team again... best of luck with the rebuild Calgary, who hates us anyway... and good luck to Kadri in Boston, being a pain in our butts.

If they can get assets for that contract without retaining a significant amount I'd be surprised.

Conroy is starting the rebuild off nicely, but I'd keep Kadri/Huberdeau and tank for a few years and then try to flip them at 50% when they only have a couple of years left.

The former GM of Calgary did a number on them.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hmmm ok grebs yes I would agree. He looks good.

Fair enough. As I said I always agreed with the strategy and said it was a mistake to take a Cowan that early and not go back. But now I wouldn’t risk it for an extra pick.

I was revisiting my position on it. Personally I think we should try to aim for getting more picks in 2025. I guess it depends on who is there at 23.

AFAIK they tried to move back and get Cowan, but couldn't.

I think just see how the draft goes, if you have a single guy you want and he may not be there, make the pick, if there are a few guys you want and they will likely be there if you trade down, do the trade.

I like that our management (hopefully it continues), will trade down if they think they can grab a couple of picks and the player they want.

I even think there was discussion about trading down the Knies pick but one scout was pushing for Knies and Dubas told him if you want him then let's make the pick. Might be wrong with exactly how this went down, but this is what I remember.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I would be so happy if the Leafs could somehow get Kadri back with retention. Im very biased though. No idea how they would be able to do that realistically either.
Kadri has a nmc and should demand a trade to Toronto.

Then the Leafs should turn around and only accept a deal at 50% retention. As if the Flames don't hate Trev enough. :D

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Allegedly blocked a trade to San Jose... so they bought him out. It looks roughly like that cost him $6 million, and he's not getting paid near that the next few years. Ouch.. that's a bad advice team for you right there.

A 5'8" non physical winger.. who has put up 28, 34 and 26 points in three of the last four years... one year at 50 points.... all at 34 years old.

Atkinson is on unconditional waivers, for the purpose of buyout... so theoretically he could be claimed... but why bother, when you likely could get him as a UFA, for far cheaper in a couple of days, if you liked him.

I just don't think he's what we need at all.

"

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd want him back purely for entertainment and sentimentality, but at this stage he's not really adding much and he's as old as Tavares
Could expand the deal to get Weegar or Andersson. Give up our first and Liljegren as the main pieces, along with other assets. They want picks. They gave up Mangiapane for a simple 2nd so I think I could work.

But yeah, seems a very tough fit.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Could expand the deal to get Weegar or Andersson. Give up our first and Liljegren as the main pieces, along with other assets. They want picks. They gave up Mangiapane for a simple 2nd so I think I could work.

Sadly there a lot of fun trade opportunities with the Flames, but lots of smoke suggests they don't want to trade with Tre.

Mirtle said he and their ownership split on bad terms apparently

Reactions: SprDaVE

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

But yeah, seems a very tough fit.

I’d love to get either but Weegar especially would solve a lot of problems for us and his deal is pretty reasonable

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad