Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sadly there a lot of fun trade opportunities with the Flames, but lots of smoke suggests they don't want to trade with Tre.

Mirtle said he and their ownership split on bad terms apparently

I think this is a good thing... not much to want from Calgary anymore.

Leafs should easily do that. They need more darts in the top 90

But knowing them they will do it last second for a messily 4th

If we are moving back from a late first, it is a lot harder to predict who is available then, so I'm personally happier with them doing it the day of the draft when some of the smoke clears rather than before.

I think they often try to move back if it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't work, but at least in this scenario if the player they want is available, they can make the pick.

Reactions: aingefan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If we bring in Tanev, bring back Boosh... and Domi and Bert are resigned... the second pairing guy is likely Liljegren, just by virtue of a available cap space. That's if Marner and nobody else is traded.

$18.8 mil in cap space.

$5 (at least) for Tanev.
$3.5-4 mil for each of Bert and Domi
$2.5 mil for Boosh and Liljegren
That's $17-18 mil right there... and still need to sign Robertson and a Goalie.

Without moving bodies.... there isn't much room for another guy on the second pair out of Free Agency.

Literally our changes from last year would be... adding Tanev and that's it. Ouch.

I don't think the Tanev contract is $5M if it's for 5 years. I also don't think Lyubushkin will get what he got on the last contract. Or at least that's not what the leafs are willing to pay.

Tanev - $4.2-4.5M
Bert/Domi - $8.5M
Lybushkin\replacement - $1.8-2M

Moving on from Liljegren and Robertson, waiving Timmins and sending Cade Webber down, that leaves roughly $5M or $6M if they're willing to waive Reaves. I think this is the main reason nothing's been done with Bert/Domi. If they can get that number a bit higher, they can maybe target a Sean Walker for the 2nd pairing and a backup. Let's hope they're atleast willing to move on from one of Kampf or Jarnkrok, which would open things up a bit more.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
1000007260.jpg

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Guentzal's price is 8x8 from Carolina...

It is so incredibly easy to dislike the Toronto core players
It is frustrating. They set a precedent a while back and it's f***ed them.

Yes no one could predict covid yet many teams regardless of taxes etc continue to find ways to sign guys for less or make gutsy trades to reset the roster.

On another note:

I think we're getting Zad and Tanev. Said it earlier. Just a gut feeling.

I just hope they aren't massive over pays and the term isn't crazy.

Mckay

One does not simply... Ooo Coffee.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
For anyone mentioning Kadri... what is the thought process?

It seems people want change on the team, but the change they want is to bring back more former players who failed?

You are 100% correct.

Also, anyone in doubt should go back and read the thread after he got suspended the second time. 90% of the boards wanted him fired into the sun. Now it feels like 90% want him back.

Mckay

One does not simply... Ooo Coffee.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I don't really get it though, because at this point you have no idea how the board will shake out.

Agreed. The player they want could potentially fall to where they were and now it would be just a waste of extra picks. DURING the draft making these trades I totally get.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Marino RHD 3x4.4M on the block. Would be a very good target.
Yes he would be. I hope that we are all over this. You are not getting that level of a player for that caphit in free agency. Fits perfectly.

The GM missed his mark at the deadline. Almost a sure bet to be completely overpaying to get him here. It's the same smoke as Reaves last year.
I hate how this sounds prescient. We need to be more ambitious and creative. I like Tanev, but giving him term is asinine.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tanev at anything over 5 and you got to walk away...
Demelo got 5 and Tanev is better. Leafs going to have to go big if they want to outbid Dallas which plays in a tax free state.

Guentzal's price is 8x8 from Carolina...

It is so incredibly easy to dislike the Toronto core players
Matty $5.25m more and 4 less years. That's your f***ing leader folks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad