Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
True. Though it helps paint s picture of what the Leafs would have to give up to be competitive to get him - and they likely won't want to pay it
i still think something around our 23rd + Robertson + Lilly is comparable to that. It's only 10 spots in a weakish draft, and gets him out of the division. Failing that, throw Minten on the table. Minten and the 23rd for him seems awfully good to me/for them.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We have a chance to make big changes in d. Who do you guys want? Walker and Tanev could be a great move.
Carrier.

I feel the others, while they are good players now, their contracts will become anchors that'll probably age like milk.

I should say also, that I don't think he's the highest on the managements list and they'll like go hard and heavy for Pesce and Zadorov in particular, and probably get the latter on a contract that most will hate.

7 years for Pesce and Roy is too steep for me, but again, i don't think Tre and co. will mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If they can't get anyone better I suppose running it back until Tavares is gone is ...

Maybe some prospects can make the difference, as we know what the veterans bring.

Say what you want but this organization and what it does for its players must be first class because nobody wants to leave once there here

Some of the other Canadian teams can't get guys to stay, we can't get the ******* to leave 😂

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Thats good because he makes Nylander a Selke candidate

That’s why he only deserves 4 million instead of 11.5.

If you want like for like Roslovic for a start

Offensively, he’s somewhat close.

Can we actually get him cheap? Is he going to mesh perfectly with Matthews? Does he understand, and can he handle this market? We know Domi is a yes on all of those.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Florida fans are really excited about the idea of getting rid of Ekblad. Expensive, always on IR, slow, and has been carried by his partner.

Reactions: weems

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The major issue is Marner. If there is no answer to the direction of Marner than everything else gets cloudy. Marner out and Tavares out next year clears a shit ton of space to fit everyone else in. Until that happens we’re stuck
Very true and very frustrating. Tre is going to be handcuffed in free agency until a decision is made on Marner.

Can't go signing guys in UFA and potentially even exceeding the cap just for Mitch to tell him he's not waiving his NMC and forcing Tre to attach 1st rounders for other teams to take on cap dumps.

This whole situation and the timing of the draft, free agent frenzy day and Mitch's signing bonus really puts a damper on my enthusiasm for what I expect the Leafs to do to fix the mess of a roster that Dubas left behind

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Love Bert. He'll make up that money in endorsements and other opportunities anyway.

I don't remember seeing Bert in any ads.

I've heard that the whole endorsement money thing is largely a myth. A few of the stars can make some decent coin but everyone else gets pennies at best.

Reactions: ToneDog

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Would love to land Rutger McGroaty in a trade, but seeing the reported price others are willing to pay makes me think that it's too rich for Toronto's blood. Cowan would probably be the only piece they're interested in if we're talking a "swap" type of deal and I'd rather just stick with Cowan coming off the season he just had.

I doubt they'd be all that attracted to Minten. Liljegren and 23rd overall might not be enough to get it done either. The Leafs probably just aren't willing to part with what the Jets are looking for.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That’s why he only deserves 4 million instead of 11.5.

Offensively, he’s somewhat close.

Can we actually get him cheap? Is he going to mesh perfectly with Matthews? Does he understand, and can he handle this market? We know Domi is a yes on all of those.

You don't put one dimensional players on your team unless there elite

It just ruins your ability to team build and you end up with Tavares as your shutdown guy

The 3rd line was borderline unusable with Domi at center, we couldn't use Matthew's defensively when he was on his line so who cares if about the market liking him?

He's to one dimensional

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What if we re-sign Marner and Tavares and make some changes to the bottom 6 and back up goalie? I think that may work. But typical Leafs they give up on these things too quickly.
They will probably make the second round once every few years. Thats already better than their recrods of ONE in EIGHT years.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Would love to land Rutger McGroaty in a trade, but seeing the reported price others are willing to pay makes me think that it's too rich for Toronto's blood. Cowan would probably be the only piece they're interested in if we're talking a "swap" type of deal and I'd rather just stick with Cowan coming off the season he just had.

I doubt they'd be all that attracted to Minten. Liljegren and 23rd overall might not be enough to get it done either. The Leafs probably just aren't willing to part with what the Jets are looking for.
23+Minten + Liljegren for an unsigned prospect who went 15 or 14 overall 2 years ago?? Be serious, nobody would trade so much for him and I absolutely love the guy..Liljegren + Robertson, or Robertson + 23 overall is max value..if they want more let someone else pay that..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just less than 14 hours until the draft starts, and Tre is having a nap. If we were going to trade Marner, I was hoping it would be pre-draft, to gain some higher end picks. I was hoping if we were moving out RFA’s, it would be pre-draft for the same reason. Obtaining McGroarty.. pre-draft…

But nothing, just crickets. Common trades, I’m getting bored, and more fearful they are just going to run it back.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Just less than 14 hours until the draft starts, and Tre is having a nap. If we were going to trade Marner, I was hoping it would be pre-draft, to gain some higher end picks. I was hoping if we were moving out RFA’s, it would be pre-draft for the same reason. Obtaining McGroarty.. pre-draft…

But nothing, just crickets. Common trades, I’m getting bored, and more fearful they are just going to run it back.
No idea if he will actually get traded, but there's no chance he gets traded before his 7.25 million payout on July 1st.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The latest on Jacob Trouba and the New York Rangers: 8 potential trade fits - The Athletic

Toronto Maple Leafs

Big, right-shot defensemen like Trouba always entice teams.
The Maple Leafs are going to be tight against the salary cap, but perhaps they’d be interested, especially if they can’t land Chris Tanev. They have a need on the right side.

There’s also the question of whether Trouba would want to go to a Canadian market. All seven north-of-the-border clubs could be on his no-trade list.
We’re pretty sure Winnipeg’s on there.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020

Ya i really think we should be using the trade market to help with some of our needs, UFA are typically over paid or over termed.

Lots of D to target that could be maybe had for cheap on teams that want cap space or have excess, they may not be the higher end guy we need but could fill out the backend with 1 or 2, deals like Walman that cost less than nothing.

All you hear is that Tre is in on everything, but have seen very little in his year+ here.

Reactions: aingefan

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
its not lost on me that we dont have transition defense scoring and in zone defense scoring which severely hinders the team scoring but adding someone who can skate well and score goals is always a good idea if its cost effective

If he doesn't work and making you lost more puck battle than what you win, hard to score without the puck. Cost more goal against because hes cheating and taking shift off in defensive end,
goal still to finish with more goal than your opponent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad