Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Surprised that a playoff team wasn't dangling a 1st (or a team in Washington's position wasn't dangling a high 2nd in tomorrow's draft) for Mangiapane. Washington is at least trying to improve its situation through acquiring Dubois previously and Mangiapane now (as they should be doing for as long as Ovechkin remains in tow).
He makes 5.8 million and has barely cracked 40 points the last two years with 17 and 14 goals. I'm surprised they got a 2nd.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He makes 5.8 million and has barely cracked 40 points the last two years with 17 and 14 goals. I'm surprised they got a 2nd.
I suppose CGY either could not or did not want to wait and retain salary during some point of the upcoming season? The AAV is certainly high, but he should still fit well enough in the top six on a good number of teams. His career splits for goals and assists also are just about even. Time will of course determine the placement and value of that 2nd round pick.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I suppose CGY either could not or did not want to wait and retain salary during some point of the upcoming season? The AAV is certainly high, but he should still fit well enough in the top six on a good number of teams. His career splits for goals and assists also are just about even. Time will of course determine the placement and value of that 2nd round pick.

Robertson is RFA and cheaper, should be able to fetch a 2nd fairly easy IMO if they wanted to liquidate.

A 2025 2nd might be a good piece to have at the TDL next year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Would you consider trading Mccabe ? Value will never be higher, will need a new long term contract next year when he turns 31

That would be profoundly stupid thing to do baring a completely un realistic trade offer.

This isn't a rebuild this team is in win now mode and will be as long as Matthews is here.

That's something you are so many others need to accept, unless you have a replacement lined up you don't trade players for draft picks.

For example it sure looks like Perron is coming so trading Jarnkrok for draft picks would be OK because it looks like they have not only a replacement but just based on playoff performance alone an upgrade lined up.

You want to ship Jarnkrok to Pittsburgh for a couple picks and have Perron replace him that's one one.

You don't ship McCabe out for draft picks because even if you did have a replacement lined up like let's say Chris Tanev you need to ADD to the defense, you need to keep McCabe and ADD a Tanev, Roy, Pesce, Zadorov etc.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Why did he end up on the top line? Oh yeah, he's a very productive offensive player. If he was good defensively, he'd be worth 6 million.

Last year, at even strength, he scored at essentially the same pace as Nylander....

Like who?
Go look at a list of free agents and figure it out yourself.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
The major issue is Marner. If there is no answer to the direction of Marner than everything else gets cloudy. Marner out and Tavares out next year clears a shit ton of space to fit everyone else in. Until that happens we’re stuck
Yea our 100point player is the issue. Hope we can dump him soon......

Reactions: ULF_55

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Robertson is RFA and cheaper, should be able to fetch a 2nd fairly easy IMO if they wanted to liquidate.

A 2025 2nd might be a good piece to have at the TDL next year.
I'd want to see what the forward group looks like before entertaining any of that with Robertson since the same "pressure" to make a move isn't there. Although he isn't as accomplished as Mangiapane, Robertson certainly is all that you've highlighted (younger, cheaper and still just an RFA).

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
That would be profoundly stupid thing to do baring a completely un realistic trade offer.

This isn't a rebuild this team is in win now mode and will be as long as Matthews is here.

That's something you are so many others need to accept, unless you have a replacement lined up you don't trade players for draft picks.

For example it sure looks like Perron is coming so trading Jarnkrok for draft picks would be OK because it looks like they have not only a replacement but just based on playoff performance alone an upgrade lined up.

You want to ship Jarnkrok to Pittsburgh for a couple picks and have Perron replace him that's one one.

You don't ship McCabe out for draft picks because even if you did have a replacement lined up like let's say Chris Tanev you need to ADD to the defense, you need to keep McCabe and ADD a Tanev, Roy, Pesce, Zadorov etc.
who said to trade him for picks ??

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Mitch is 10x the shinny player Reinhart is. Reinhart was dog shit in the SCF until they needed the series winner.
In all seriousness Reinhardt was not much of a factor
And if we are being really honest his goal should not of went in
It was just a shot that skinner screwed up

I know some are going to disagree but my theory is the hold up with the Leafs is Marner, I feel like they wanna know their cap structure.

As well, they were saying "The Leafs want to be careful" with the term etc on players, maybe because of McDavid?
Mcdavid is not coming here. He will be an oiler for life.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
In all seriousness Reinhardt was not much of a factor
And if we are being really honest his goal should not of went in
It was just a shot that skinner screwed up

Mcdavid is not coming here. He will be an oiler for life.

We'll see.

Heard the same on Pietrangelo, Tavares etc...usually guys stay but they do go too.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Ekblad is on the market per Pagnotta.

28 year old 6'4 RHD who has recently turned his game around into a solid shutdown guy, can play top PK, can move the puck and has a good shot?

He'd address a ton of needs. Trade cost would be very high though, and he's due for a big long-term contract after this season and has had some injury issues.

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
28 year old 6'4 RHD who has recently turned his game around into a solid shutdown guy, can play top PK, can move the puck and has a good shot?

He'd address a ton of needs. Trade cost would be very high though, and he's due for a big long-term contract after this season and has had some injury issues.

The extension is what scares me.

I don't feel the cost to acquire him would be all that crazy, maybe I am being naive though.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Imagine Marner and Panarin making $24m on the same team. Firable offense.
Imagine Matthews and Marner... oh nvm

Pretty light return for Calgary, IMO anyway.
Light return? I'm shocked they got anything at all. Dudes a 3rd liner making almost $6m

Ekblad is on the market per Pagnotta.
I'd give Florida whatever they want

Was expected to get 8-8.5 in free agency, so that tracks with the 8th year to bring it down a bit.
Great deal for the Preds. Bring Askarov along slowly, deal one of them 3 years from now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad