Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
As much as I love Drury being cut throat with trying to get the team better. And also, trying to keep a meritocracy. There is a flipside to the goody and Trouba situation. The flipside to a front office that gets a reputation as not showing loyalty to players is that players are less likely to give teams any kind of hometown discount. Shesty asking for nearly 13 mil. Laffy deciding to hold off on contract negotiations til next year. Of course those examples may not add up to the point I'm making. Truly. But it does make one wonder.

Why isn't Laffy wanting to negotiate if the team is ready to throw the bag at him?

Why isn't Shesty willing to cut the team a discount to help build a championship squad around him?

Is it a lack of trust?

I dunno. But I guess I'm far more concerned about the Shesty and Laffy situations than I am about the Trouba situation.

Meh. The Laffy situation is made up in Ranger fans heads. He’s got his eyes on this being his team, for good reason. If Igor wants big money he can have fun in Ottawa.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The obvious place for Trouba is Buffalo.

No RHD in top 6.

Veteran leadership void.

Former coach — Ruff

Team that wants to make a splash and make the playoffs.

GM under fire — needs to make playoffs.

One of my few remaining good sources told me Sabres are a dead nuts match for Trouba. He doesn’t know if they are in on him but can’t believe they wouldn’t be.

Watch this closely.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I understand Trouba being butthurt about the situation. I mean he is the captain, loves the city and loves playing for this team, but in all likelihood it's not going to end well for him if he somehow blocks this potential trade. It may get ugly but the team will eventually win.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Hogwash. Zac Jones is a young guy just hoping for a chance and I'm sure he has a lot of respect for a vet and the team's captain. Same with Laf. The players in that locker room think a whole lot different than the fans.
Has nothing to do with Jones respecting any of his teammates. He can respect his teammates and still feel like the team isn’t operating on merit

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

No RHD in top 6.

Veteran leadership void.

Former coach — Ruff

One of my few remaining good sources told me Sabres are a dead nuts match for Trouba. He doesn’t know if they are in on him but can’t believe they wouldn’t be.

Watch this closely.
That would be the most expensive blueline I've seen in a long time. Could maybe pull Clifton back as a 3RD. Born near the Jersey shore, so he's kind of from the area. Same term, but is probably a moveable contract if they fully would want to get out fom under the 8M total. He's on the smaller side too.

But, there is a match, so long as Buffalo is not on the no trade list.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If we are retaining $ AND buying out Holl, I'd rather just keep Trouba.
Kakko for Veleno does not interest me. All that kid has ever done was score 100 points in an overage season in the Q. Sure he's a left handed center but not really the upside for Kakko. It feels like he's just trading Kakko just because. Throwing Kakko in to ditch Trouba is equally flawed logic and bad asset management.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I would prefer a buyout to him returning to the team with this reaction. Entitled. Drury should waive him if he blocks a fair trade.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

No RHD in top 6.

Veteran leadership void.

Former coach — Ruff

Watch this closely.

If that happens, I hope Krebs would be part of the deal. Cheap 4th liner that has not unlocked his potential. Buy low candidate. Underrated depth piece

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If theres nothing written that prevents this from happening, what can the league do other than shake their fists and say that its looked down upon?
If there was some sort of payment to the Red Wings against future considerations, then I could see the NHLPA being upset. That would be circumvention, though technically legal.

If it’s just a waivers pickup, tough f***ing shit for Trouba.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If Trouba is genuinely shocked and disappointed, or whatever Freidman said, then that's all the more reason it needed to be done like this.

He obviously has not played even remotely close to that contract; probably for its entirety. Everybody in that lockerroom should be aware of the consequences of being negative value, not be shocked by them.

If Laf or Shesty want to make sure they get every dollar that they can out of their deals, then that's 100% their right and I would support them in taking as much of Dolan's money as they are able. But that's more to live up to, and expectations will shift accordingly. You have a bigger piece of the pie, you have to earn it on the ice.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I'm probably wrong, but I really don't think Rangers want to try that move again....league is already suspicious about the Goodrow "waiver" deal.
As long as there is no actual trade, the league can go pound salt up their ass. It’s perfectly legal within the context of a M-NTC.

Reactions: Profet

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Listen to the 32 thoughts Friedman just released (like 10 mins ago) and then you can apologize...

This isn't as cut and dry as you and other want it to be. Trouba and Kurt boy can make this very difficult for nyr to pull off
Sure it can be made varying degrees of difficult by Trouba and his agent. And if the NYR then waive him without claim and want to equally be dicks, he can ride buses with the Wolfpack… it is far from all in Trouba’s hands where he actually plays come Monday. Drury has the Hartford Atomic Bomb. And if you think the thought of Trouba’s misery riding buses would ruin Drury’s weekend…

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
If you use waivers to circumvent a NTC then yes it is circumvention.
If there is no actual evidence of circumvention then it is not circumvention. They would need evidence that there was any kind of agreement in place between NYR and the claiming team. If no quid pro quo it’s not a “trade,” if it’s not a trade it’s within the contract bounds.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If I were in Jacob's shoes and I didn't want to leave NYC I'd have a discussion with my wife. If she didn't want to leave either and it was alright with her I'd hang up the skates altogether. He's made about $50 mil during his career. He must have a ton of that invested/saved to this or that. He should be sitting on a mountain of gold. She's probably doing pretty well too. He can find something else to do maybe even go back to school. It would be a good f*** you to Drury and a go piss up a rope find somebody else to Yzerman. The best way to deal with employers you're no longer getting along with is if you can afford to tell them to go take a hike. That's what I would do.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
But what can they do? It's not prohibited in the CBA. They can pitch a fit & bring it up during the next CBA negotiations, but I fail to see how the Rangers would face any league sanctions....even though I'm sure Bettman would love to stick it to JD.

If theres nothing written that prevents this from happening, what can the league do other than shake their fists and say that its looked down upon?

You can't retroactively make changes with out having everyone sign off on them. If the Rangers are using waivers for means that you didn't intend them to be used then thats your f***ing fault -No different than the LTIR stuff. I'm sure the league didn't intend LTIR to be used by certain teams to bank extra cap space so they could ice a playoff roster 10-20 million over the limit or for cap floor teams who are trying to be bad to acquire said players just so they can hit the salary threshold.

As long as there is no actual trade, the league can go pound salt up their ass. It’s perfectly legal within the context of a M-NTC.
Does anyone remember "The Avery Rule"? Still don't understand how Bettman was able to make and enforce this in the middle of the playoffs. If he can get away with that, he can/will come up with something if he thinks Rangers are up to something.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Waiving someone who is eligible to be waived (ie. No NMC) is not circumvention. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a team doing that per the CBA.

Collaborating with another team prior to doing so to ensure the player is picked up is probably not within the CBA, but even when we did it with Goodrow it went through without impunity.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
It's circumvention, it's literally getting around a clause.

Circumvention definition: the act of bypassing or going around something.

In the case of the NHL, this is acceptable legal circumvention, but its circumvention never the less...
Using the term circumvention in its rawest form of the definition while arguing over a legal agreement (ie. the league CBA) is extremely misleading and inappropriate.

If it’s not circumvention legally, it’s not the correct term to use in this particular instance.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad